Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:04:25 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7735 Members
Latest Member: WGUNannett
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Biggest Thing I Ever Found . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Biggest Thing I Ever Found . . .  (Read 1669 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 23, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »

I was over at SMU's Paleontology Lab today, and I got to re-visit the largest fossil specimen I ever uncovered: the remains of a 50 foot Mosasaur called Tylosaurus Prorigor.  These guys were the apex predators of the late Cretaceous seas that once covered North Texas, and mine is one of the largest specimens on record.  The initial loose bones were found by a Dallas collector I knew; when his job hours changed and he could no longer check the creek regularly, he asked me to start checking it and see if I could find where the monster was eroding in.  The first day I found six vertebrae, two large jaw fragments, a paddle bone, and a bunch of smaller pieces of ribs, skull, and vertebral processes.  After a year of checking the creek every time it rained and finding dozens of large bones and hundreds of fragments, I finally found where the beast was washing in!  We excavated several ribs, part of a paddle, and about fifty vertebrae then!  This is the first time I have gotten to see all the recovered bones; they fill over a dozen drawers in SMU's fossil storage lab.  Here are a few pictures:

The quadrate bone connects the upper and lower jawbones.

These are some of the tail vertebrae.

One of the MASSIVE mid-back vertebrae!

One complete tooth, and then one broken off crown!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:10 PM »

Here is the brain case.  This massive animal had a brain smaller than a baseball!

Here are some of the flipper bones.

Some of the jaw fragments found in the creek bed.  The complete skull was probably 6 feet long; we recovered about 60% of it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 05:05:43 PM »

Awesome - what a jackpot  Thumbup

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Bushma

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 05:54:44 PM »

That's amazing! Great finds Indy!

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Flangepart

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:32 AM »

Hate to be chased by them bad boys!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 08:27:46 AM »

Now that's really cool!  Wish I could have been there for that, but the pictures are good enough, thanks for sharing with us!  Cheers
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Biggest Thing I Ever Found . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.