Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:58:22 PM
714195 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7733 Members
Latest Member: Mamie94489
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Today in history . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Today in history . . .  (Read 6194 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: June 28, 2014, 10:40:16 PM »

One hundred years ago today, a Serbian assassin gunned down Archduke Franz Ferdinand von Habsburg and his wife Sophie as they left the dedication of a new police station in Sarajevo, in what is now Bosnia.  The chain of events that unfolded after that murder took five weeks to play out, but on August 4, 1914 they reached fruition, and the bloodiest war the world had yet seen began.  They called it the Great War, or the World War. We call it World War I.  Begun with a single revolver in the hands of a terrorist, it consumed 14 million lives, destroyed four royal dynasties, redrew the map of Europe, spawned an even bloodier sequel, and created the world we have lived in for the last century.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 02:09:52 AM »

The footage we have of South Africans in that conflict is frightening indeed.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:58:57 AM »

One hundred years ago today, a Serbian assassin gunned down Archduke Franz Ferdinand von Habsburg and his wife Sophie as they left the dedication of a new police station in Sarajevo, in what is now Bosnia.  The chain of events that unfolded after that murder took five weeks to play out, but on August 4, 1914 they reached fruition, and the bloodiest war the world had yet seen began.  They called it the Great War, or the World War. We call it World War I.  Begun with a single revolver in the hands of a terrorist, it consumed 14 million lives, destroyed four royal dynasties, redrew the map of Europe, spawned an even bloodier sequel, and created the world we have lived in for the last century.

In der Hölle schmoren, Princip.

Lange lebe Deutschland, und lange lebe die Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie!  Gott segne Herr Ferdinand und Prinzessin Sophie!  

Lange lebe Kaiser Wilhelm Zweite und die Guten Alten Zeiten!

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 12:55:22 PM »

To paraphrase The Shadow Ring: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTd54695IrM) Put the 20th century in it's coffin
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 01:39:44 PM »

Lange lebe Deutschland, und lange lebe die Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie!  Gott segne Herr Ferdinand und Prinzessin Sophie! 

(Praise for Kaiser Wilhelm?)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »

Lange lebe Deutschland, und lange lebe die Österreichisch-Ungarische Monarchie!  Gott segne Herr Ferdinand und Prinzessin Sophie!  

(Praise for Kaiser Wilhelm?)

No, basically a wish for Gavrilo Principe to rot in hell for what he did,  and a blessing for long life for Germany and a blessing for the Austro-Hunagrian Empire, and for Kaiser Wilhelm the Second, who was it's ruler at that time before WW1 and up to it's end.

Why? This will get long, but please bear with me:
I am of German heritage on both sides.

The parents of my American-born grandfather (my mother's father) lived as young children and later young adults under Wilhelm II's reign. They came to America after WW1  however it was shortly before WW2 began. They died in my youth in the mid 70's and told me many stories about Old Germany and the times before and up to and after WW1.

Now, my mother's mother (my maternal grandmother) had a grandfather who came to America from Germany sometime in the 1880's after fighting in the Franco-Prussian War as a younger man. This was under Wilhelm's father, Wilhelm I, king of Prussia.  

You may ask why I ask for blessings for a time I didn't live in or people I never really knew, but it's because my relatives lived thru those times spilled their blood for Germany, and I feel obligated to honor them for their service to Old Germany.

I am very loyal to my family and I hope you all understand, and thanks for listening. Here's a drink for all of you!      Cheers

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:48:25 PM by Umaril Has Returned » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 03:08:20 PM »

Kaiser Wilhelm is a fascinating character.  Alternately swaggering or fawning, his love-hate relationship with his British in-laws was ONE of the contributing factors to the Great War, but far from the only one.  In many ways, Wilhemine Germany was a progressive and enlightened Empire, but at the same time authoritarian and brutal.  I'd like to get hold of a good biography of him.
    And props to you, Umaril, for your family loyalty!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »

Kaiser Wilhelm is a fascinating character.  Alternately swaggering or fawning, his love-hate relationship with his British in-laws was ONE of the contributing factors to the Great War, but far from the only one.  In many ways, Wilhemine Germany was a progressive and enlightened Empire, but at the same time authoritarian and brutal.  I'd like to get hold of a good biography of him.
    And props to you, Umaril, for your family loyalty!

You're absolutely right about Wilhelm II. How he was able to hold the Austro-Hungarian empire together in such an atmosphere of love-hate was a real sell. Better yet, his legacy to Germany's military was his desire to expand Germany's naval forces, and his relationship with Admiral von Tirpitz that actually made it a reality.  He was a visionary in that regard.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »

My Grandfather's family came from Prussia. I know at some point there was a war and during or after that there was nothing. People were eating grass and rats and whatever they could find. Wasn't a hard decision to leave.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:37:58 PM »

Some would argue that Wilhelm's insistence on creating a High Seas Fleet for Germany was his greatest blunder.
It cast Germany in the role of rival power to England and soured what had been a close international relationship, driving the British to seek new alliances in Paris and St. Petersburg.  BTW, the Habsburgs ruled the Austro-Hungarian Empire, while Wilhelm, a Hohenzollern (what a cool dynastic name that is!!) ruled the Greater German Empire.

During the 1990's, I worked at the American Cotton Museum in Greenville, TX.  As part of our local history program, I tracked down some 13 surviving veterans of World War I.  Eight of them were lucid enough to conduct interviews, and how fascinating they were!  All of them born in the 1890's, three of them had fathers who had served in the Civil War, and one's father was actually born a slave.  The oldest man I spoke to was 105 when I interviewed him; the youngest was 96.  All the interviews were recorded on VHS tape and reside at the Cotton Museum (today known as the Audie Murphy/American Cotton Museum) to this day.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »

that must have been some perspective they had.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »

Mr. Williams, the oldest of the vets, died in 1997 at the age of 107.  Think of all that he saw from the time of his birth in 1890!
Two Presidential assassinations, two dying in office, and one resigned.  The flight of the first airplane when he was 13 and the moon landings when he was 79.  The Spanish American War broke out when he was 8 and the Great War when he was 24.  He would have been 51 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor and 73 when Kennedy was assassinated. He saw the birth and death of the Soviet Union, the beginning and end of the Cold War, and this son of a slave lived to hear Dr. King talk about his dream - and see much of it come true.  Talk about a full life!

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 09:44:42 PM »

People who lived through the depression in particular have different perspective I know my grandmother just approached buying things on another level. She'd return stuff that was like old she didn't care. Being poor is one thing, but when the whole country is poor and there's no end in sight...
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 10:16:03 PM »

Some would argue that Wilhelm's insistence on creating a High Seas Fleet for Germany was his greatest blunder.
It cast Germany in the role of rival power to England and soured what had been a close international relationship, driving the British to seek new alliances in Paris and St. Petersburg.  BTW, the Habsburgs ruled the Austro-Hungarian Empire, while Wilhelm, a Hohenzollern (what a cool dynastic name that is!!) ruled the Greater German Empire.

You are indeed right on the above statement and I stand corrected.
However, my wording in the first paragraph may be to blame.  Look back on my post and you'll see that I mentioned Kaiser Wilhelm II as being "it's ruler at that time and up until the end of WW1."  My mistake was that I didn't make it clear that I spoke of Wilhelm II as Germany's ruler and not the Austro-Hungarian Empire.  My bad  Twirling

However, my family's history is the same, unabridged and handed down to me thru oral tradition and actual family history research. Interesting to say the least!

Just a small edit for thought here:
Wilhelm II's insistence on naval supremacy may have gotten Britain just a bit upset, to be sure.  However, the way that Wilhelm got it from pen and paper to reality was nothing short of amazing.  From the creation of the many interior offices and administrations it entailed, to the creation of the dreadnought battleships, right down to the opening of the Kiel Channel and the faster routes to the North and Baltic seas, Wilhelm's plan was nothing short of amazing.  That, and Alfred von Tirpitz to boot!
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 10:21:38 PM »

My Grandfather's family came from Prussia. I know at some point there was a war and during or after that there was nothing. People were eating grass and rats and whatever they could find. Wasn't a hard decision to leave.

That would have been either the Austro-Prussian War of 1866, between the German Confederation and under command of the Austrian Empire and it's allies, or the actual Franco-Prussian War of 1870 and 1871 that ave birth to Germany's independence.

Either way, Europe has a long history of borders, border disputes and small kingdoms and the absorption of those kingdoms by larger ones. The amount of small kingdoms that existed at one time is truly staggering.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Today in history . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.