Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:18:28 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Today in history . . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Today in history . . .  (Read 6184 times)
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 08:42:16 AM »

A shout out to you Indy:

Thanks for your support of my liking for history.  As a man who comes from direct Old World stock, the times of WW1 and WW2 have always fascinated me.  As well,having relatives who were caught up in those times makes it even more interesting to me.

The time leading up to WW1 was a very interesting blend of past events (Franco-Prussian War) with an even finer blend of subtle behind-the-scenes political maneuvering as well as outright open dislikes among the world powers.  I feel it especially necessary to study this time period being that it led to the first major war of the 20th century, and the things that happened afterward.  In any case, gotta' run for now but thanks for the great talk.

Now where did I put my Dragon Priest staff of flames???    BounceGiggle   

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 09:38:39 AM »

Well, this isn't the issue of The Onion I was looking for, that one had the Archduke emerge from hiding in late 1918 alive and well right after WWI, but this one about Ferdinand, supposedly from 1913, is still funny in a macabre sort of way:

http://o.onionstatic.com/images/8/8666/original/700.jpg

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 01:43:08 PM »

Bit o trivia
Everyone who owned the car was killed in it, except for the final owner, who donated it to a museum.
The car & the museum were destroyed by allied bombers in ww2.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 10:58:45 PM »

Another person of that time in Germany's history that had a very important role in Old World German politics was Otto von Bismarck.   Bismarck was the glue that held together the German Ststes through 3 wars that helped unify Germany as a country. He was a political titan from the early 1860's to 1890.  He was a staunchly conservative man. He was a political giant and worthy of great note. he did so much for Germany that we would have to have 9 lives in order to list it all here!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »

Interestingly enough, one of Kaiser Wilhelm's first actions as Emperor was to put Bismarck out to pasture.
The Iron Chancellor was loudly opposed to the Kaiser's building a huge naval fleet.

BTW, a great book on this subject is R.K. Massey's CASTLES OF STEEL.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 08:00:39 AM »

Interestingly enough, one of Kaiser Wilhelm's first actions as Emperor was to put Bismarck out to pasture.
The Iron Chancellor was loudly opposed to the Kaiser's building a huge naval fleet.

BTW, a great book on this subject is R.K. Massey's CASTLES OF STEEL.

Cool! A guy that held together thru 3 wars is indeed an interesting one at that.
grols
New Visitor

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

today, 27 - 28 august 2014 , Russia invaded Ukraine
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 05:00:51 PM »

today, 27 - 28 august 2014 , Russia invaded Ukraine

Bluesad

Putin is much scarier than ISIS to me.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 05:19:35 PM »

Putin is a thug, no doubt, but he is also a realist who is flexing his muscles right now because he knows he can.
ISIS, on the other hand, has no brakes and no control - only wild, fanatical hatred for everyone who doesn't share their
interpretation of Islam.  Their goal is nothing less than the destruction of all other faiths and creeds.  Right now their
abilities don't match their intent, but if they get their hands on some serious firepower, everyone who doesn't bow the
knee is SCREWED. Buggedout

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2014, 07:48:27 AM »

Well said, Dr. Jones.
And people wonder why I'm a pessimist...

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2014, 09:54:29 AM »

This is why I find Putin scarier than ISIS. ISIS is crazy, they draw everyone's hate and opposition. Sure, if they had real power they would be dangerous, but precisely because of the rabid, attention-hungry way they operate they will never have real power. The West bombs ISIS at will because they have no real power. They appease Putin because he does have real power; they're afraid of him. Putin is cunning, he lets others grab the headlines. Meanwhile, he invades a sovereign nation with no more punishment than having a few oligarch's visas revoked. The West won't even use the word "invasion" because they're scared of hurting Russia's feelings.

I mean, ISIS is so dumb. Executing an American civilian is the perfect way to ensure maximum retaliation while doing minimum harm to your enemy.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 10:42:22 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Today in history . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.