Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:44:31 AM
714256 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Offence (1972) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Offence (1972)  (Read 2914 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: June 30, 2014, 04:57:18 AM »

I should actually put a  Buggedout on this as this little seen Sidney Lumet film has an on the edge cop - Sean Connery - beat a suspect - Ian Bannen - to death during an interrogation after the brutal rape of a young girl. Connery cannot get a confession out of him so he uses his fists on the man.

Very good but very hard to watch, even if the bad guy deserves what he gets.  Buggedout

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:02:24 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 07:05:43 PM »

I agree with the "hard to watch" part, but a very good film indeed. Made so by the direction of Sidney Lumet and the acting of Sean Connery, but Ian Bannen is the surprise here. I just think he's one of those actors you just underestimate how good they can be.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 07:18:06 AM »

thanks trev, never heard of this one.

my appreciation of connery as an actor goes higher the older I get, for some reason I never used to rate him much

had he already quit bond by this stage or was he moonlighting?  Smile

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:46:45 AM »

Smile

Apparently this film - based on a stage play - was one of the things that United Artists had to fund when he returned as Bond for Diamonds Are Forever. The other was an unproduced version of Macbeth of all things.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 04:59:56 PM »

Smile

Apparently this film - based on a stage play - was one of the things that United Artists had to fund when he returned as Bond for Diamonds Are Forever. The other was an unproduced version of Macbeth of all things.

With all due respect, that doesn't strike me as that strange. A Scotsman (Connery) playing a Scottish king (Macbeth.) How many Scotsmen have played the king? I have seen Maurice Evans, Jon Finch, and Orson Welles play Macbeth, and none of them were Scots. Both Evans and Finch were English, and Welles was an American.

As a matter of historical note, there really was a Scottish king called Macbeth, and his portrait, I believe can be seen at Holyrood Palace, which I have visited, in Edinburgh, Scotland. And while the reign of Scottish kings at that time was extremely short, his was one of the longest ones at that time, which gives historians the belief, that he might not have been that bad of a king to survive and rule that long, especially not as bad as Shakespeare makes him out to be.
Neville

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 08:34:41 AM »

Of all the things Connery did to get rid of the shadow of James Bond, his collaborations with Sidney Lumet are easily some of his best work. "The Hill" is a personal favourite of mine.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:05 AM »

"The Hill" is a personal favourite of mine.

Mine too.  Smile

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Offence (1972) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.