Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:24:07 AM
713336 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Disc Genie" DVD/CD Repair Kit - Anyone Tried This? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Disc Genie" DVD/CD Repair Kit - Anyone Tried This?  (Read 4235 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:24 AM »

Has anybody tried one of these "Disc Genie" doohickeys to repair scratched DVDs/game discs/CDs? Hey, they're "As Seen On TV," they gotta be legit right? Haha

I saw a box of them on the counter at my local Walgreens' the other day, the package says it can repair "up to 100 Game Discs, DVDs and CDs."

I was intrigued cuz I have a couple of CDs that I've bought used over the past few years that were a little banged up, and the "Genie" was only a buck so I figured it was worth a shot.

When you open the package it's simply a little cardboard square, slightly bigger than a CD. One side has a kind of felt material covering it. The idea is you place your disc on there, rotate it around a bunch of times clockwise and then another bunch of times counter-clockwise and it'll supposedly buff the scratches out of the disc.

The jury's still out on whether or not it works, I ran a couple of CDs across it this morning and I'll be listening to them at my desk throughout the day to see if the playback has improved. I'm about halfway thru the first one and... (fingers crossed) so far, so good. Stay tuned.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »

Follow up: yeah, you guys can ignore these things. Of the four discs I "treated" with the Disc Genie, only one of them showed any improvement. The other three remained the same scratched, skipping clusterf*cks that they've always been.

Oh well. (shrugs) Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:34 AM »

If I buy ex rental DVDs, the shops here have a buffing machine that cleans the disc: it looks almost like an orbital sander but it works.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:05 AM »

If I buy ex rental DVDs, the shops here have a buffing machine that cleans the disc: it looks almost like an orbital sander but it works.  Smile

Yeah, one of my friends told me if I went to a GameStop or other video game dealer, some of them do disc repairs on a machine like that. Unfortunately there aren't any video game stores close enough to me to be worth the bother.

I'm gonna see if I can at least rip these scuffed up CDs to my computer, so I can burn a 'clean' CD-R copy... then I'll just sh*t can the original discs and keep the CD-R's in the case with the inserts/booklet/etc.

(SIGH) If only everyone treated their discs with the same loving care that I do... then it wouldn't be necessary to try any of these fly by night "fixes." :(
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:15:33 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:58:01 AM »

I used to have something like that except it was just supposed to clean disks.  You'd turn this little crank and it would spin the CD while another little wheel turned and cleaned the disk.  I don't know - it didn't do any harm but I'm pretty sure it didn't do any good either  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 01:22:23 PM »

It's a slow day @ work so I had time to write a quick blog entry about the useless Disc Genie. Seriously folks, don't waste your $$ on these things. 

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Does-The-Disc-Genie-CDDVD-Repair-Kit-Really-Work

(Comic Book Guy voice): "I was registering my dissatisfaction via the Internet within MOMENTS!"

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 01:02:08 AM »

The South African company Verimark was selling a CD / DVD repair kit up until a year or so ago via stores and their website www.verimark.co.za.

I checked this morning and they don't sell it anymore, so I ordered this instead:  Wink

https://www.verimark.co.za/products/genie-bra

Buggedout Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 05:56:35 AM »

^ You can put your disks in one side and keep your wallet and keys in the other  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Disc Genie" DVD/CD Repair Kit - Anyone Tried This? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.