Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:16:23 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: Annual gardening thread  (Read 42528 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #90 on: July 15, 2013, 06:18:40 AM »

Jack, if those are scallions or green bunching onions you can just let them all crowd together.  The larger-bulbed type do need thinning.  Thanks to Darksider for the gift of onions a few years back that got me to try them.  Now they are a staple in our garden all year!
Garden onions are amazing under the right conditions.   

Jack, the tomatos look great!

Those things are up to the top of their cages already  Smile  Got a lot of tomatoes on them, still small though.  We've picked beans a couple times already.  And I'm giving away lettuce to the relatives. 

I guess those onions don't get big and bulbous, they're not much bigger than a pencil.  And we'll have a lot of them lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2013, 09:18:33 PM »

It seems like everyone is having good luck with their gardens this year.   Thumbup

We continue to be swamped with cucumbers.  At one point we had a pile of 30 of them on the kitchen counter.  That's even with cutting them up for our lunches and giving them away.

The tomatoes are starting to come in.  We'll soon be awash in those.  The Better Boys are almost as big as softballs!  The Brandywines taste amazing, as do the cherry tomatoes we planted (sweet million and a golden cherry variety).  Peppers are still coming along nicely, and we continue to pick beans as a cyclic rate.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2013, 06:58:18 AM »

Our tomatoes are starting to get ripe, mostly the little Roma ones but a few of the regular ones as well.  I pick all kinds of beans but they seem to run out really quick when we eat them - either there's a huge pile of them in the refrigerator that I haven't noticed or else somebody around here is throwing them out.  We've got a couple of eggplants growing and the rest of the plants are covered with flowers so I think we'll have quite a crop of those.  Lettuce is going gangbusters.  I ripped out the spinach because it was way overgrown and nobody was eating it anyway.  Peas are weird this year, they only got a bout a foot tall and I don't think we'll have much of a crop.  Stupid peas - about one year out of five they'll grow great and we'll get a ton of them;  the other four years they do poorly.

Oh and I REALLY need to get out there and do some weeding. 

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »

Tomatoes seem to be hitting their peak

Nobody's eating the lettuce so I'm letting that grow to see if we get lettuce trees  Smile Eggplants are doing well, but my wife picks them when they're real small because she's impatient they taste better that way.  Beans were good this year, plenty for the family but not so many we're asking everybody we know if they want some.  Onions are doing good too, those things are really tasty.

- Paulo Coelho
316zombie
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2013, 11:14:02 PM »

okay,y'all, i could use some help,please?
i live in kansas,for zone purposes i think i'm zone 8?
i want to have some lilac bushes in my front yard,and i need to know these things.
1-do i need ROOT cuttings,or just limb/sapling type cuttings?
2-do i plant them in the fall,like i did in massachusetts? then they are more or less dormant until they get past 2 feet tall?
3-are they like hydrangeas,where the color changes according to the soil mixture, or are the color specific?
TIA,GUYS!!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2013, 07:31:07 AM »

Slow slow slow out here...haven't picked a damn thing yet.   Lets hope for a somewhat long fall.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Bushma

« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2014, 07:46:23 PM »

I'm trying again. I've got some potatoes, onions, and tomatoes. I'm also trying to get some zuchini and bell peppers going.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Bushma

« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2014, 05:45:32 PM »

Well.

2/3 of my chocolate cherry tomato plants, and my sun flower died from all the rain last week. I put out two more sun flowers one of which looks like its trying and the other has given up. I added a new tomato my wife found. The cilantro is still holding on just to spite me.

I did plant some lavender for my wife and some rosemary for me.

Its going to rain again next week, so who knows what will survive.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2014, 07:23:41 PM »

We had a batch of freezing cold suddenly hit about 2 weeks ago that damaged the new carrots, scallions, and beets.  The carrots seem to be springing back, the beets also seem to be recovering, but the onions died and I replanted.

The strawberries seem to be coming along after some minor (less than I should have done) thinning.  The blueberries are looking good.

Waiting about 2-3 more weeks before we plant tomatoes, peppers, squash, zucchini, cucumbers, and beans!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2014, 09:20:07 PM »

No plans as of yet but Ill get there eventually.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2014, 07:19:21 AM »

It's been raining here every day - with some snow mixed in a couple of days ago lol.  Probably be a few weeks before I get anything in the ground.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »

The lettuce and spinach has gone to seed in the heat.  Those were good while they lasted.

The family is already sick of squash and zucchini.  We've mixed it with pasta, put it in mac and cheese, and generally tried to use as much as possible.  We still have 5 or 6 zucchini, and more on the way.  Katie baked 6 loaves of zucchini bread on Sunday.

We're picking beets and carrots now.  Those are good, though I am going to have to do something about the beets.  They're starting to get all huge and gruesome.

Yesterday I picked something like 10 cucumbers.  Many more are on the way.  However, unlike squash and the dreaded zucchini, my family cannot get enough cucumbers.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2014, 12:18:14 PM »

My marijuana plants are coming on just fine, thanks. Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2014, 12:49:57 PM »

With the new house, we just did a very basic garden.  A few tomatoes and some odds and ends were all we had time to put in.   
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #104 on: July 09, 2014, 06:52:25 AM »

Our garden's been coming along really well, guess it likes the constant rain we've been getting.  Our lettuce kind of got washed out though.  We don't have anything to pick yet, but the tomato plants are growing like weeds, the pole beans are up to the top of their poles, and even the peas are looking good this year. 

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Annual gardening thread « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.