Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:15:01 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gappa: The Triphibian Monster (1967) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gappa: The Triphibian Monster (1967)  (Read 11561 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 19, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »

Holy geez!  This sucks!

Some Japanese people go to an island inhabited by a primitive tribe who fear the monster "Gappa".  The Japanese find a baby monster on the island and take it to Japan.  The baby's 200-foot-tall parents don't like this, so they go to Japan and walk around trying to find it.  Instead of just, you know, giving the baby back, the Japanese government sics the military on the monsters.  Finally, when just about all of the Japanese mainland has been destroyed, someone rubs two brain cells together and figures out that giving the baby back might get the parents to leave.  It works.  Everyone stands around feeling like a dumbass for not doing this earlier.  The End.

The monsters themselves look pretty cool and have a decent power set.  They're sort of dinosaur-owl things that can fly, walk on land, and live underwater for extended periods (hence triphibian).  They also have fire breath because, hey, why not?  I wish there had been at least one more movie featuring them, possibly vs. another monster.  Unfortunately, their movie plays them as "just big, dumb animals", with an emphasis on "dumb".  The Gappas have absolutely no personality whatsoever.  Their sole motivation is "find the baby", which they kind of suck at.  They track the baby to Japan easily enough then ... well, when I said they walk around in the above paragraph, I meant it.  They casually stroll through several cities, knocking over buildings, completely oblivious to the damage they're causing.  They destroy tanks and fighter jets readily enough but without gusto; they're just animals responding to aggression.  Some might enjoy their monsters presented this way, I prefer mine to have more personality.

The human characters are even worse.  I was perhaps being generous when I implied they had two brain cells among them to rub together.  The worst by far is the business tycoon who has possession of the baby Gappa.  Hell, I'm not even going to talk about him because thinking about any of his actions makes me angry.  He does get the best line in the movie, however: "You can go on a South Seas vacation without leaving home, here, right here, here, here, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Worst of all, Gappa: The Triphibian Monsters is just boring.  You've seen it all before, done much better.  The Gappas are basically just Godzilla mashed together with Rodan.  Their quest to rescue the baby is from Gorgo.  The South Seas island cult built around a monster is from King Kong.  The filmmakers behind Gappa: The Triphibian Monsters obviously didn't have any ambition beyond, "Hey, maybe if we rip off those monster movies that are so popular right now, we can make a few bucks."  And it shows.

Note: the male (I think) Gappa carrying around that giant octopus for such a long time after making landfall in Japan really annoyed me.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Flangepart

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 08:11:05 AM »

I loved riffing this puppy.
Some films are a challenge, this just keeps on giving.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »

I love this movie!! It's soooo bad it's good. It's prob my fave kaiju. It was produced by a rival studio trying to jump on the Godzilla bandwagon, which I guess makes it the 60s Japanese equivalent of an Asylum movie. Haha.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
dean

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 09:23:12 AM »

Yeah this was always a favourite of mine purely because it was so terrible.  The props, so bad...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Flangepart

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:39 PM »

Yeah this was always a favourite of mine purely because it was so terrible.  The props, so bad...
And don't forget, it has a Kenny! The kid from Peanut shaped island.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 05:08:34 PM »

I'm with akiraturbo on this one. I find it pretty boring and unimaginative, bad-bad as opposed to good-bad. To each their own, though.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »

I think I actually own three copies of this movie.  Not because I like it, but at some point the licensing rights must have been about a quarter.  So its included in a few compilation DVD's I own.

The movie itself is nothing really special.  Although, I guess at one point a crossover with Guilia from X was planned.     

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 09:08:37 AM »

I think I actually own three copies of this movie.  Not because I like it, but at some point the licensing rights must have been about a quarter.  So its included in a few compilation DVD's I own.   

The American version ("Monster From a Prehistoric Planet") is in the public domain now, hence its appearance on virtually every "Horror Classic" multi-movie DVD pack in existence. :D

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gappa: The Triphibian Monster (1967) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.