Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:40:03 PM
714314 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Every time I watch a bad movie... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Every time I watch a bad movie...  (Read 1996 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 13, 2014, 05:25:42 AM »

I hear Dad saying "Son, didn't I give you a good start in watching and appreciating good movies?"

My answer is "Yes sir, you did indeed."

His answer would be "So why are you watching this sh*t then?"

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:08:42 AM »

"Well dad, as the saying goes, 90% of everything is crap, and only 10% is good. And only 10% of that is excellent. So, with my sense of humor, I can turn turds into flowers. It's mental fertilizer!"

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »

Interesting that you bring this up.

I got my love for movies from my Dad.  I remember watching old movies with him.  We watched westerns, war pictures and horror, with the occasional comedy thrown in.  He was not big into 'drama' and I have inherited that as well.

He had an interest in the art of making movies, though he never expressed this directly.  It's not like he said, "I like HOW movies are made..." but he had an old 8 mm (not Super 8!) camera, projector and editing station.  He used to play around with fx.  He let me buy books on make up in horror movies, and later did not bat an eye when my room was adorned with strewn about copies of Fangoria.

What I'm trying to get to with this 'background' is that my I got my love for bad movies from him as well. He was not specifically a 'b movie' fan, but we did watch a lot of old creature features together.  I even got out of chores long enough on Saturday afternoons to watch "Shock Theater" on TV after lunch.

I'm failing to convey the true point...but, well...Dad taught me (by example) to appreciate movies and that sewed the seeds of appreciation for and general love of schlock!  

It simply did not matter then if the movie was "good."  It was a MOVIE!

Sadly, I think more contemporary audiences take this for granted.

(thanks for the opportunity to stroll down memory lane; been over 20 years since I've gotten to watch a movie with Dad)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 07:37:04 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »

I think if we still had drive-ins there'd be a lot more bad movies to see.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:26:22 AM »

My mother is responsible for my love of movies.  She wasn't necessarily a fan of "grade z" movies (although, she would watch them occasionally).  But she was a fan of 1940s, 50s and 60s sci-fi and horror.  I can thank her for introducing me to the Universal horror movies, the Hammer Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee movies, War of the Worlds, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Day of the Triffids, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Crack in the World, When Worlds Collide, Robinson Crusoe on Mars, and many others.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »

One day I was watching Mighty Joe Young (the original) and my dad came in and enthused about how much he loved that film.  He also confessed that the funniest film he ever saw was The Exorcist.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Every time I watch a bad movie... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.