Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:12:47 AM
713347 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamera vs. Viras « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gamera vs. Viras  (Read 3127 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 07, 2014, 08:46:51 PM »

Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown

*Flashback to early 1968, in the Daiei headquarters cafeteria.  Writer Nisan Takahashi walks in and spies director Noriaki Yuasa having a bowl of kimchi*

Nisan: Yo, Noriaki.  The suits want us to make another Gamera movie, since the last two were so profitable.

Noriaki: Cool.  Since we made so much money with those, they'll surely give us a HUGE budget this time!

Nisan: Uh, actually, they're not going to give us any money.  At all.

Noriaki: (spits out kimchi) What?!?!  But ... but ...

Nisan: Yeah, man, I dunno, either.  What can we do?

Noriaki: Well, I suppose we can put the focus almost entirely on the annoying little kids this time.  We can probably get them to work for free, they'll be so excited to be in a movie.

Nisan: Ok, ok.  That's good.  Ooh!  We can just re-use all of the monster footage from Barugon and Gaos.  Maybe the kids can be sitting around remembering all that stuff, or something.

Noriaki:  Yeah!  Great.  But that'll still only get us like 30 or 40 minutes, 50 tops.  Hey!  There's some leftover monster suit parts in the trash bin outside.  We can cobble them together into something for Gamera to fight for just long enough to get us to feature length.  And I think, maybe, we could steal some beach balls from the daycare, glue them together, and pass that off as a space ship.

Nisan:  Genius!  Let's get to work!  They told us we have to be finished by the end of business TODAY!

Noriaki: (another kimchi spit take)

*flash forward to the present day*

Gamera vs. Viras is every bit as bad as I've made it sound above.  Hell, it's worse!  Not only do they reuse 100% of the monster footage from the previous two movies, they even use most of the monster footage from the original Gamera -- and that movie was in black and white!  They just didn't give a s**t.

This movie's Kenny and his pal, White Kid (look, their names don't matter, it's Kenny and White Kid, always) are two of the worst Kenny and White Kids in all of kaiju-dom.  They sabotage a submersible that everyone in their Boy Scout troop was supposed to get a chance to drive so that only they will know how to drive it.  And for this bit of a***olery they are rewarded with an up close and personal visit from Gamera, a fun romp through a space ship, and a front-row seat for the final battle with the s**tty squid prop representing Viras.

There are two (2) good points in this movie.  1) the pre-credits battle between Gamera and the beach-ball ship is actually quite well done.  2) Vira's final attack on Gamera leaves a huge, bloody, spewing wound in Gamera's gut as long as the distance from his neck to his pelvis and as wide as the distance between his shoulder blades.  How Gamera survived that is anyone's guess, but he's a-ok as soon as the camera cuts away to the next shot.

Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown Thumbdown

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Flangepart

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 08:23:13 AM »

E-yeah...kinda like finding out the hard way your Proctologist has a 'thing' for power tools.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:35:53 PM »

I keep forgetting which one is "Attack Of The Monsters" & which one is "Destroy All Monsters"...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 01:09:36 AM »

Destroy All Monsters is a Godzilla film, Destroy All Planets is the English title for the Americanized version of this one.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 11:09:14 AM »

Destroy All Monsters is a Godzilla film, Destroy All Planets is the English title for the Americanized version of this one.

Oh, okay! So, this one's "Destroy All Planets", & "Attack Of The Monsters" is the one with the two cute alien chicks & the monster with a knife for a nose that shoots throwing stars out of it's nostrils...

Thanks for clearing that up for me! TeddyR
Now I need to figure out what "Destroy All Monsters" is.  Lookingup

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Flangepart

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS is...infinatly better.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:19 PM »

Yeah this one is pretty dry, I mean even Viras isn't that interesting compared to Barugon, Gyaos, Jiger, Guiron and even Zigra.

Gamera vs. Jiger was a step back in the right direction but really the only Showa Gamera movie I care about is Barugon.

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
JoeTheDestroyer
Random Text Crapper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 04:24:57 AM »

Gamera vs. Viras is easily my least favorite Gamera movie. The fight between Gamera and Viras was pretty cool, but other than that the movie sucked.

Latest reader review:
Crossbow (Atari 2600)
Latest staff reviews:
BC Racers (32X)
Dying Light (PS4)
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 07:36:09 PM »

I like one of the moments prior to the final fight. It leads me into some interesting trains of thought. 

The lead Viras tells his underlings that he needs their lives in order to fight Gamera.  One pleads for their lives, before Viras takes their human heads off with one clean stroke.  The kids watching comment that Viras must have killed humans in order to posses their bodies.  Then the living aliens are drawn out of the husks and are absorbed by the leader.

First off, that seemed pretty dark to me.  Secondly, it showed that Viras may have been the most truly evil kaiju in movies.   While many kaiju are seem violent, many are just wild animals or are controlled by outside forces.  Think about it.  Two of Gamera's more infamous foes; Viras and Zigra are intelligent sentient creatures.  They talk, know how to pilot advance machines, and aren't controlled by anyone.  Zigra came to conquer Earth by himself, and just viewed humans as lower animals.  Viras murders his own crew without hesitation. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Flangepart

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 07:46:24 AM »

Yeah, Japanese 'kids' shows are known for the cheapness of human life. Dark, dark, dark, dark, dark...

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gamera vs. Viras « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.