Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:44:24 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LUCY (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: LUCY (2014)  (Read 2156 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: August 06, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »

Now, I debated about putting this in the "bad" movies section because I didn't really like it, but it has big name actors, top-notch effects, and most people seem to like it, so into good movies it goes.

PLOT: An American student (Scarlett Johansson) develops godlike powers when she is accidentally dosed with an experimental drug.

*The special effects are great and are clearly the only reason the movie exists and the only reason to see it.
*The opening scene would be great in a different movie.
*The Internet has blown up reminding people that the "we only use 10% of our brains" story is a complete myth. Not only is the premise wrong, but the way the movie implements it is particularly stupid.
*Most people who like it are able to overlook the stupidity of the premise and enjoy it as "dumb fun." I couldn't.
*Another problem is that Scarlett Johansson is immediately omnipotent from the first moment she takes the drug. There's no one who can stand up to her, no supervillain of equal power to oppose her, no weakness to kryptonite. So there's no suspense.
*Overall I would not recommend, but if you go be prepared to turn your brain off and just enjoy the trippy visuals.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 05:22:20 PM »

Scarlett Johanssen is one of those actors/actresses I can't even watch, she's too in love with herself. Don't even think she's that pretty either, her face looks like an upside down parsnip.

So, some wanky special fx fest with a flawed premise and an actress I don't like. Pass...  Smile

edit, just me that sees this?:

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 05:29:46 PM by zombie #1 » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 06:57:56 PM »

I saw this on opening night in Australia, and while I liked it, I had some mixed feelings as well. 

The editing and direction were a mixed bag: the straight narrative sequences were great, but the juxtaposition of metaphorical nature scenes was trying a bit too hard.  It was almost like that Monty Python sketch where a couple makes love and the sketch cuts to black and white footage of tower demolitions in reverse, trains speeding through tunnels, splashing water and then the towers crumbling.  I think the metaphorical scenes would have made a bit more sense had they continued this, even as flashes, later into the movie.

The special effects and actions sequences are excellent.  Top rate work on those.

When I saw the tralier, I thought it was like a cross between Limitless and The Matrix.  And it more or less was, although it had more philosophical undertones than Limitless.  I did enjoy it, although it wasn't some kind of 'oh my god, what an insane movie' feeling.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
A_Dubya
Bad Movie Lover

I'm no hero, never was. I'm just an old killer.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 08:38:54 AM »

I think she's absolutely gorgeous. That said, I never had a desire to see this. After reading reviews that panned it, I have no intention of going to see Lucy. I know I should decide for myself whether it's good or not, but I have no interest in her in this role. Maybe somewhere later down the line I will check it out, but as of now, no thanks.

This space free, since Photobucket is on dust.

PSN ID: A_Dubya13
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:37:40 PM »

I hope they make a sequel called "Ethel."

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  LUCY (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.