Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:05 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bradley Cooper to play Mack "The Executioner" Bolan? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bradley Cooper to play Mack "The Executioner" Bolan?  (Read 9413 times)
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: August 21, 2014, 02:28:08 PM »

I may be the only one who cares about this, but whatever, it's worth a shot. Dunno how many of you are familiar with the long running (40+ years) action/adventure paperback series "Mack Bolan, The Executioner" created by the late Don Pendleton. I'm in a Facebook group for fans of the series and Linda Pendleton (Don's widow) revealed this week that a movie deal for the character has been signed. There's no release date yet but she sez that Shane Salerno ("Armageddon," "AvP: Requiem") will be scripting it and Bradley Cooper (!) is reportedly interested in playing Mack Bolan. I only know Cooper from the "Hangover" flicks so I'm reserving judgment.

I've been a fan of the book series since I was in high school and this is not the first time a Bolan movie has been rumored; in the 70s Steve McQueen was supposedly interested, then Burt Reynolds in the 80s, Sly Stallone was attached at one time, and I think even Vin Diesel was looking at it at some point. So who knows if it will even be made? But even so, my fanboy heart is beating a little faster today with the thought of FINALLY seeing Mack Bolan kick major ass on the big screen. :D

For those of you who may be going "Who the Hell is Mack Bolan?" I wrote a quickie fanboy blog about it: http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Mack-Bolan-FINALLY-Coming-to-the-Silver-Screen
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 02:31:00 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:06:10 PM »

I've been interested in reading the series for a long time.  Well, some of it.  It's pretty daunting to contemplate reading 600+ novels.

Is it hard to find the early novels? 

That said, from what I've read of the character (and the character who is basically a ripoff of him, Frank Castle), Bradley Cooper doesn't sound like a great choice.  Might be OK, as he's an excellent actor, but color me skeptical.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 06:28:43 PM »

It's been a long time since I collected the older books in the series but they were reprinted multiple times throughout the 70s and 80s so I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to track most of them down. It looks like you can get lots of em fairly cheap via Amazon.

Honestly, reading hundreds and hundreds of past books really isn't necessary, cuz there's really not *that* much back story (in a nutshell: Mafia kills his family, he wipes out Mafia, then works black ops for super secret US gov't agency hunting down terrorists. Repeat 600 times. Haha.) ... you could probably pick up a brand new ine off the rack today and get into it without feeling like you're "missing" anything.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:41:13 PM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »

They still crank those things out?

I read the first 30 or so, up to where it looked like Pendleton was trying to wind down the series, but then came a second wave of Mafia related stories. I gave up. My dad read all of them and was rather depressed when Mack "retired" after slaughtering 100,000s of Mafia. He was tickled pink when I discovered the newer series in which Mack went after terrorists back around 1982.

The Punisher from Marvel was a very vaguely disguised rip-off of Mack Bolan, with a similar backstory and everything. The true Bolan fans will be there for a film version, but the rest of the world will be thinking it's a rip-off of The Punisher.

Plus, if they try to update it, it would ruin the "exploitation" nature of the early novels, with their rough and violent action scenes, sexy women tempting Mack and good old military weapons. Updated with cellphones and high-tech nonsense used today...meh.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:57:33 PM »

I always considered those books to be the masculine equivalent of Harlequin Romances.
Boy, Mack's girlfriends had a short life expectancy, didn't they?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »

I always considered those books to be the masculine equivalent of Harlequin Romances.

Yep, that's exactly what they are...they're actually a division of the same company that publishes Harlequin Romances.  TeddyR

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:05:12 AM »

Dammit, no! That's the role I always wanted to play!  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 09:11:54 AM »

Dammit, no! That's the role I always wanted to play!  Wink

Hahahaha! It seems like every actor in Hollywood has been considered for the Mack Bolan role over the years. The property has been in and out of development hell numerous times since the 1970s. (I've seen copies of the early novels with a banner on the cover that sez "MAJOR FILM SERIES COMING!")....

At one time waaaay back in the day Steve McQueen was supposedly interested in playing him, as was Stallone, Kurt Russell, Burt Reynolds, Vin Diesel (!) and the list goes on and on...

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »

There again that's an interesting topic. I didn't know they were still publishing new titles in the series. I am old enough to remember when the series 1st began, and how many of the titles each took place in a different American city.

Bradley Cooper is an interesting choice to play the hero, as he is just coming off the success of "Guardians of the Galaxy," having voiced the character of Rocket. He probably has the acting chops to play the character of Bolan, but looking at his photos, I don't know if he has the physical presence that the character seems to call for.

Though, it might be awhile till he can get around to playing the role, as he not only has "Guardians of the Galaxy 2" upcoming in 2017, he had 4 more films coming out between now and then. Though, 3 of them are already in post production.

As for the "Punisher," there have already been several big screen versions of it. Plus there is another big screen version under development. Plus a TV series on the way.
Archivist

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 02:30:34 AM »

I read about ten or so Mack Bolan books in the 80's, and I thoroughly agree that they are like the male equivalent of a Harlequin Mills and Boon novel.  Guns, women, action, taking down the bad guys, what more could a man want in a romantic fantasy???

Not so sure about Bradley Cooper playing Mack.  Maybe it's the way Mack was drawn on the covers, but I always envisioned him as a very hard, square jawed man with flinty eyes and sharp cheekbones.  Cooper is a good actor but his eyes are too gentle.  Good for him as an actor and person, not so good for playing hard individuals in movies. 

Not sure who in Hollywood fits that mold - maybe Cam Gigandet if you put ten more years on him and dyed his hair black.  Antonio Banderas if he lost the accent and 25 years.  I'd vote for Jason Statham in that role, too.

Okay: apart from your good selves  TeddyR , who would you pick as a suitable Mack Bolan?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
carchase
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 04:28:20 AM »

Bradley Cooper is going to Mack Bolan?

Say What!!??!

Maybe the movie people will have Mack's super GMC RV with the hidden missles and other hidden things.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 07:28:18 AM »

My wife is watching a rerun of "Criminal Minds" right now and it occurred to me that Thomas "Hotch" Gibson would make a good Mack Bolan. He's got the dark hair and the square jaw.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 11:36:16 AM »

No, the credits must read:

MACK BOLAN: TREVOR T [TROUBLE] MOSES Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Javakoala
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »

Trev's version of a big Mack Attack: Flings his undies with deadly precision at all enemies.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 02:20:55 PM »

Trev's version of a big Mack Attack: Flings his undies with deadly precision at all enemies.

With all due respect, he doesn't have to fling them. The mere sight of Trevor starting to take off his undies is enough to make any enemy of mankind run as far and as fast at they can.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bradley Cooper to play Mack "The Executioner" Bolan? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.