Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:53:47 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SUPER ERUPTION (2011) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SUPER ERUPTION (2011)  (Read 1058 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: August 29, 2014, 01:53:30 PM »

SUPER ERUPTION (2011)

2 out of 5, but a fun watch for b disaster fans

Part of the draw to this one for us was that we have visited Yellowstone.  The movie was bad, with all kinds of problems. But as for disaster films, it followed some formulas (Daddy-daughter rescue), stood others on their heads (scientist was mostly clueless and gov't wanted to believe her...haha, in contrast to how these things usually go) and made for plenty of riffing.

Pop some popcorn and settle in for:

** Continuity errors galore, such as: day-night swaps; ash storm, no ash storm, ash storm again; super volcano in aerial shot, people land on GREEN LAND WITH TREES!; etc

** No sense of scale whatsoever.  None.  A magma chamber the size of the state of Wyoming and they want to cool it with water?  (That's not even the punchline "solution"). Another example: apparently Yellowstone National Park only has 3 rangers, and one of those is still in training or an intern or something.

** Cheesy dialog, even for a movie in this genre. One quote to set the stage:

Ranger, to group of others in ash storm:  "Cover your mouth and noses."

We were trying to figure out if he meant they collectively only had one mouth or each individual had multiple noses.

** Foolishly portrayed stock government disaster management characters; I mean, really, could the DMA (Disaster Management Agency!) lady have been MORE useless?

** A romance that was more forced than that seen on a tv series with an overstayed welcome.

** Unrealistically stupid schemes to QUENCH A SUPER VOLCANO (including the above mentioned water trick)!  Because, you know, things like that ARE possible and the devices to do it can be carried by ONE PERSON.

** A squadron of Cessna aircraft flying in formation and doing aerial maneuvers!  (Note: may not have been Cessnas, but small, single engine, two seater planes in that 'class')

** And ... an absolutely ridiculous punchline plot point that will undoubtedly have you saying, "Huh?  I can't believe they did THAT."  Ridiculous is not the word for it; annoying fits.  What on earth possessed someone, anyone, to think THAT was a good plot driver for a film like this?  Wondering what I'm talking about?  Sorry.  Gotta watch it to find out.  (or read the "Things I learned" thread on imdb if you want it spoiled).

** This movie takes bad volcano disaster movies and shows them how to be done WORSE.  All the cliches are there, some with twists (that make them mildly interesting) along with some horrendously poorly thought out plot points.

A true gem in the right mood.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 08:06:54 PM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  SUPER ERUPTION (2011) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.