Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:05:52 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It is the year 2014. I have two questions. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It is the year 2014. I have two questions.  (Read 2563 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: August 30, 2014, 09:08:32 PM »

A) Where is my Interocitor?

B) And more importantly, where is my flying automobile?

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:58:20 PM »

I agree-where the f**k is my flying f**king car???
I usta read Popular Mechanics when I was a kid-we are supposed  to have flying cars! And robot butlers and Rosie the Robot maids!
s**t aint right.
The promise of computers has boiled down to Facebook-and Dick Tracy's two way wrist radio is a thing for kids to do "selfies"-I hate that word and the conceited concept of it. Hatred

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »

We were supposed to have jetpacks too!

I was looking forward to watching people nosedive into the pavement with those things  Hatred

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 08:38:07 PM »

Jetpaks exist.  Just not very widely available.

Flying cars, well... That's a while away yet.

But not many people forsaw things like the iPad.

I was watching Zardoz (1974) a while ago, and one of the devices depicted was a ring that was linked to a central computer.  You could ask the ring anything and it would give information.  Sean Connery's barbarian character was pointing the ring at flowers and other objects and the ring told him whatever he wanted to know. 

I was thinking how wonderful it would be to have something like that, when I suddenly realized that we already have a form of this.  It's a smartphone.  With internet access, we can query anything we want from directions to a restaurant to obscure political movements.  We are already connected to a gigantic database of information that we can access anywhere that our smartphones have internet.  And that's a promise from scifi that is already being fulfilled.

Mind you, Blade Runner (1982) is set in 2019.  I don't think we are five years away from replicants or off world colonies.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »

I'm told we now have video telephony, though I've never actually seen anyone use it, & no one will use it with me, despite how handsome I am...

Why haven't we run out of gasoline yet? And why do children still know what it is?
Where are the discount day & weekend trips to the moon?
Why aren't all the bugs & animals wearing respirators?
And, Why aren't we all wearing matching white & sliver lame jumpsuits with blue duty belts?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 09:32:46 PM »

Colonies on the moon, Mars, or the moons of Jupiter and Saturn - those are the biggest things we haven't achieved yet from sci-fi movies IMO. Also frequent space travel between planets within our universe and elsewhere.

The Star Trek food replicator is a biggie, also the idea that all food would be in pill form nowadays...of course that was always ridiculous.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Bushma

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 09:44:52 PM »

This thread is making me sad, all the things media promissed me as a kid and I have almost none of it.

Bluesad

If nothing else it's only 3 more years until I can tell my wife I want a Cherry for my birthday.

Cherry 2000 took place in 2017

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 09:55:36 PM »

I agree-where the f**k is my flying f**king car???
I usta read Popular Mechanics when I was a kid-we are supposed  to have flying cars! And robot butlers and Rosie the Robot maids!
s**t aint right.
The promise of computers has boiled down to Facebook-and Dick Tracy's two way wrist radio is a thing for kids to do "selfies"-I hate that word and the conceited concept of it. Hatred
Where the f**k is your flying mind?  BounceGiggle  Just kidding.  I am a dinosaur after all. 
I still carry no cell phone or any kind of device, smart or otherwise.   Smile
Who wants their phone calls following them around???  Question Twirling
Okay, okay, I get it.  Since I no longer commute, I say: BAH!!

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 10:12:11 PM »

way back in the late 1970s & early 1980s, I was told we'd all be on the metric system by now...

I've noticed most auto manufacturers seem to have embraced it, whereas landscaping, carpentry & construction rejected the metric system a long time ago.

I noticed Star Trek TNG & It's spinoffs tried very desperately to keep the myth alive.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »

I just want a holodeck, so I can fly an SE5a over the trenches of France in World War I . . . then go home to my girl Anne Hathaway when I get some furlough time!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 01:42:43 AM »

Jetpaks exist.  Just not very widely available.

Flying cars, well... That's a while away yet.

But not many people forsaw things like the iPad.

I was watching Zardoz (1974) a while ago, and one of the devices depicted was a ring that was linked to a central computer.  You could ask the ring anything and it would give information.  Sean Connery's barbarian character was pointing the ring at flowers and other objects and the ring told him whatever he wanted to know. 

I was thinking how wonderful it would be to have something like that, when I suddenly realized that we already have a form of this.  It's a smartphone.  With internet access, we can query anything we want from directions to a restaurant to obscure political movements.  We are already connected to a gigantic database of information that we can access anywhere that our smartphones have internet.  And that's a promise from scifi that is already being fulfilled.

Mind you, Blade Runner (1982) is set in 2019.  I don't think we are five years away from replicants or off world colonies.

Less dumbed down UI, give me my functionality back is all I can say about 2014 tech that people find so impressive. Flying cars aren't a thing because it's kinda silly in a lot of different ways, like half the light aircraft pilots aren't even up to scratch on professionalism how is the average person going to be.

Flangepart

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 08:23:34 AM »

Annnnd that makes me think Star Trek is WAY to confident about how trustworthy even Starfleet computers are gonna be.

Cause, sadly...
http://www.vosizneias.com/111611/2012/08/12/dubai-us-navy-collision-with-oil-tanker-in-gulf-leaves-uss-porter-with-gaping-hole/

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »

Personally I'm still not over the fact the Mayan apocalypse of December 2012 didn't happen.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2014, 02:52:18 PM »

I stopped wondering about these things when we failed to have a space odyssey 13 years ago.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »

I want an auto driving car, flying or not.  Just get in and tell it where to go. 
Yes, they exist in prototype, but its not the same.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  It is the year 2014. I have two questions. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.