Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:08:57 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Slender Man-Obsessed Teen Burns Down House « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Slender Man-Obsessed Teen Burns Down House  (Read 2702 times)
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« on: September 05, 2014, 10:32:55 PM »

This Slender Man-inspired crime wave is getting out of hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2744438/Mom-I-m-sorry-Did-hurt-Slender-man-obsessed-girl-texted-mom-apology-setting-home-fire-rum-bleach.html

'Did any of you get hurt?' Slender Man-obsessed teen texted her mom an apology after destroying their home with a rum and bleach-fueled fire 'in a bid to kill her entire family'

Lily Marie Hartwell, 14, is accused of setting fire to her home in Port Richie, Florida, while her mom and brother were sleeping inside
    She had argued with her mom and been reading an ebook called Soul Eater about killing people prior to the crime
    She started the fire by soaking a towel and bedsheet with bleach and rum then setting them alight in the garage
    In her journal marked 'Keep Out' the girl had written about the Slender Man character
    She has been taken into custody and charged with arson and two counts of attempted murder.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 10:43:19 PM »

And somewhere, Slendy is smiling . . .  or he would be, if he had a face!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 03:40:28 AM »

Like I said before, I think Slender Man is one of the worst internet created memes ever. There isn't anything remotely creepy or scary about SM,  just looks like a bad video game character.
A "boogey man" for a new and apparently dumb-as-f**k, delusional teenage social media generation.
Javakoala
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »

And somewhere, Slendy is smiling . . .  or he would be, if he had a face!

I'm a bit taken aback by your comment. I find the fact that modern memes and creepy pasta on the 'net are warping people into such extreme acts. I'm not suggesting censorship. But, for the love of all that is sacred, shouldn't there be a voice of reason out there to help people with this level of delusion?

I would happily work for an rational organization that would provide a sense of balance to people like this girl, hopefully in the interest to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

I have a friend at work whose son has had panic attacks at school (he's 8) because he thinks the Slender Man is trying to steal away his life. This crap needs some counter-balance. It's fine for adults who understand it is BS, but younger people don't have that full grasp of reality yet.

Okay, I'm shutting up now.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

I don't understand what it is
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »

I would happily work for an rational organization that would provide a sense of balance to people like this girl, hopefully in the interest to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Yeah I believe it's called Parents Inc. xD

In all seriousness though, yeah, growing up with even 56k there was some gruesome stuff about like terrorist beheadings and whatnot I can only imagine the situation has got worse than Ogrish. Increased number of volunteer based social programs can't be a bad thing for society I reckon. I'm glad you said specifically not censorship because there is a lot of push these days for controlling the internet using reasons like this when there are actually other agendas. Parents need to learn to implement local firewalls and review logs, links up to another one of my pet peeves - people expecting technology with no responsibility or effort.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 08:43:44 PM »

Java - in this case, no one was hurt, so I felt "safe" making a jocular comment.
I've been fascinated by the Slenderman phenomena ever since someone on here made me aware of it a few years ago.
I recognize it's total BS, but I find Slendy to be delightfully creepy and I'd love a full-length, big-budget movie to bring
him to life on the silver screen.

But he is not real and this kid needs serious therapy.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Bushma
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »

Slender man... Really that's what they are trying to blame this on?  My oldest went through the slender man thing about two years ago. That was until I put on a hockey mask and kicked in his bedroom door with a chainsaw running at 2am to show him what he should really be afraid of!  I'm kidding I didn't really do that, but I wanted.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 05:41:26 PM »

Slender man... Really that's what they are trying to blame this on?  My oldest went through the slender man thing about two years ago. That was until I put on a hockey mask and kicked in his bedroom door with a chainsaw running at 2am to show him what he should really be afraid of!  I'm kidding I didn't really do that, but I wanted.

And who got to change the sheets on the bed afterwards?
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Slender Man-Obsessed Teen Burns Down House « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.