Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:46 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Philosophical Question of the Day . . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Philosophical Question of the Day . . .  (Read 14424 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2014, 09:00:27 PM »

If I got stuck in a time in the past, I'd like it to be in 1950s America...

If I got stuck in the past, I think I'd like it to be the Middle Ages...and someplace remote enough I could be left the hell alone.

But, it would have to be with no memory of modern times...I would not want to remember that better dental care exists, for example.  That's the single biggest problem I have with romanticizing past eras...I think it would be very, very difficult to give up modern medicine and dental science.  Modern tech (cars, computers, refrigerators, etc) I could do without.  Good, relatively pain free dental care?  Much less so.

But, if I did remember modern technology, I'd know a whole heap of chemistry that might turn out useful (some of it medicinal), so that's a trade-off.  Hmmm.   Wink

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2014, 09:04:03 PM »

I've always thought it would be fun to take a crateful of vaccines and antibiotics back to England in the 1530's and see how Henry VIII would have rewarded the physician who cured that nasty, ulcerating sore on his leg!!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 06:33:11 AM »

Yeah same here.  Post-WWII America seemed pretty awesome, at least from the way it's portrayed in movies.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flangepart

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:02 AM »

I'm certainly not excusing Stalin's crimes, but I think Trotsky may have actually been worse. Trotsky vs Stalin is a common argument in commie circles and I think Trotsky was more neferious in some ways. he was an internationalist and not in a good way, whereas Stalin at least mainly killed his own people
Ah..." Mainly killed his own people" = Lesser of two evils...kinda.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »

Yeah same here.  Post-WWII America seemed pretty awesome, at least from the way it's portrayed in movies.

For a time to live in U.S. history I would say the Roaring 20s, except for Prohibition. I guess the my favorite period would be between the end of Reconstruction and before the beginning of Prohibition, 1880s to 1910s.

The 50s... I'd hang out with beatniks.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2014, 04:42:34 PM »

For a time to live in U.S. history I would say the Roaring 20s, except for Prohibition. I guess the my favorite period would be between the end of Reconstruction and before the beginning of Prohibition, 1880s to 1910s.

The 50s... I'd hang out with beatniks.

Actually those speakeasies looked almost more fun than bars.  Some great jazz to listen to as well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2014, 05:45:59 PM »

you could speak easily there which is good
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2014, 05:59:21 PM »

I still want to hang out with beatniks...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2014, 08:35:17 PM »

Good grief, L.B. Smith, I turn my back for thirty seconds and you choose that second to pose a philosophical question like this? Sheesh, man.  BounceGiggle But then again I think you could've guessed my answer anyway. 

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2014, 09:08:20 PM »

Nice to see you back here, me dear!!! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2014, 11:56:36 PM »

New question.

I knew a Russian a few years ago* who said in Soviet schools they used to counter western criticisms by teaching kids that blaming Karl Marx for the wrongs done under Communism was like blaming Jesus for the slaughter of the Crusades.

Did the Communists have a valid point?

* Total perv, BTW.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Flangepart

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2014, 08:16:51 AM »

New question.

I knew a Russian a few years ago* who said in Soviet schools they used to counter western criticisms by teaching kids that blaming Karl Marx for the wrongs done under Communism was like blaming Jesus for the slaughter of the Crusades.

Did the Communists have a valid point?
* Total perv, BTW.
Don't think so. Mass slaughter for Communist purposes fits the ideas behind Marxisim. Jesus never gave his followers permission to do that.

And my Favorite Marx is Groucho!

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2014, 09:59:27 PM »

Apples to oranges.  Jesus preached kindness and love throughout his career; Marx was perfectly open about the
necessity of adopting brutal techniques and destroying family relationships to bring about the dictatorship of the
proletariat.  This reminds me of that quote I emailed you the other day, ER. 

Do you still have it?

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »

Marxism as a political system is so strange. He was mainly an economist and his ideas are generally within the realm of classical economics. it does at it's base give a strong role to the state for central economic planning. At one point in the Soviet union they were slaughtering humpback whales on an absurd scale because...someone in some high post decided that number had to be killed.

Also, were the Crusades so awful? How unreasonable is it for Christians in that time to want access to their holy places? what else are they gonna do besides get the plague and have dirty puppet shows
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2014, 11:17:58 PM »

I will say that the Crusades have been misrepresented.  The fact is that the Holy Land was under Muslim rule for 300 years without any mass Christian assaults - because the early caliphs allowed Christians continued access to all the shrines and holy places, albeit for a fee.  It was when the Seljuks took over and barred all access to the Holy Sites that the Pope Urban II called for a military expedition to "liberate" the Holy Land.  However, the massacre of Jews in Europe that preceded many of the Crusades was utterly uncalled for.  To be honest, taking up the sword was pretty much against everything Jesus actually taught in the Gospels.  Of course, most people did not know that because most people back then could not read.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Philosophical Question of the Day . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.