Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:08:01 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Philosophical Question of the Day . . . « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Philosophical Question of the Day . . .  (Read 14422 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »

How about this: The moment you alter the timeline, time splits - the timeline which you left continues on unabated, your absence
not affecting it in the least.  BUT, from the point you interfered forwards, you create a separate timeline, in which the consequences
of your action ripple forward, changing small things at first, and then greater and greater things, until you forge a future vastly different
from the one you left?

If I were going to be marooned in the past, I think I MIGHT prefer ancient Rome to 19th Century America.  At least, an ancient Rome
where I was a friend to the most powerful person on earth.  Plus GJC would probably have taught those rascally Parthians a lesson
in humility had he lived . . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »

How about this: The moment you alter the timeline, time splits - the timeline which you left continues on unabated, your absence
not affecting it in the least.  BUT, from the point you interfered forwards, you create a separate timeline, in which the consequences
of your action ripple forward, changing small things at first, and then greater and greater things, until you forge a future vastly different
from the one you left?

If I were going to be marooned in the past, I think I MIGHT prefer ancient Rome to 19th Century America.  At least, an ancient Rome
where I was a friend to the most powerful person on earth.  Plus GJC would probably have taught those rascally Parthians a lesson
in humility had he lived . . . .

Or he might have taught a whole different lesson of the divine that exists in each of us, and how we all represent Creation by our natural beauty and differences. That we should seek the divine in everything around us and not in structures built to honor religion. I wish that lesson could be taught and learned by everyone. Then we could truly love one another.

Never mind me. I just had a friend deal with Family Services because some psycho neighbor jealous of my friend decided to try to ruin her family.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »

I would want to be a follower of Jesus Christ in his lifetime or possibly an actor in 60's sex films they seem to really have a good time.

Re Hendrix/ Lennon et all they were musicians. Hendrix may well have ended up making bad jazz fusion or something. or had a Clapton like career arch / songs that mostly conveyed how rich he is
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 12:01:53 AM »

Lester, those are two VERY different takes on "loving your neighbor"!!!

Java - I just don't see Gaius Julius Caesar teaching the Parthians that kind of lesson.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Javakoala
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2014, 03:02:45 AM »

Lester, those are two VERY different takes on "loving your neighbor"!!!

Java - I just don't see Gaius Julius Caesar teaching the Parthians that kind of lesson.

Sorry, thought you were talking about Jesus. I suppose I should read back further.

Ceasar wouldn't have taught that kind of lesson. He'd be better at military tactics and how to undermine a country to make it ripe for conquering. He was a fairly smart cookie, from what little I know.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2014, 06:40:48 AM »

Abe Lincoln.
JFK.
I would kill Hitler.
I'd kill Stalin and let Trotsky take over.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »

Randy Rhoads might have gone on to do some great stuff if he hadn't died.  That whole blending of classical music and heavy metal guitar...would have been interesting to see where he would have taken it in another 10 years.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »

RC - I don't know. the legacy of Trotsky lives on in the neoconservatives, the warmongering DC based worst thing that ever happened to this country. Stalin at least was at least not an elitist.

Also, another good era would be to have been a silent film actor they didn't even have to learn lines and they partied like crazy.
Flangepart
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2014, 09:57:53 AM »

RC - I don't know. the legacy of Trotsky lives on in the neoconservatives, the warmongering DC based worst thing that ever happened to this country. Stalin at least was at least not an elitist.
Uh, dude...Stalin murdered about 20 million of the people under his power. THAT is the worst kind of Elitist...as HE is the most important thing in the world- only the tyrant's life matters.
 Other people are just pie crusts to be broken.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2014, 10:14:38 AM »

I'm certainly not excusing Stalin's crimes, but I think Trotsky may have actually been worse. Trotsky vs Stalin is a common argument in commie circles and I think Trotsky was more neferious in some ways. he was an internationalist and not in a good way, whereas Stalin at least mainly killed his own people
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »

Communism itself was the main evil, IMO.

Lenin, Stalin, Trotsky - human life meant nothing to any of them.  Everyone was expendable as long as their demise
served the rise of the proletariat state - especially the lives of the proletariats themselves.  Stalin's crimes were enormous -
I think 20 million may well be lowballing the death toll he inflicted on the Russians - But Lenin and Trotsky would have
done just as bad if not worse had they been given 30 years in power.

Any ideology that regards human life as a disposable commodity is dangerous.

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 03:50:07 PM »

Any ideology that regards human life as a disposable commodity is dangerous.

Sorry - not to veer this too far off the time travel topic, but can you name one government ideology that does not regard human life as a disposable commodity?

It sure seems to me that they all start with "good intentions" and some fulfill those on a small scale, but the asymptotic point all governments seem to reach is "self serving," even to the point of "kill our own."  Some take longer to get there than others, but that convergence seems common in my observation.

I will be happy to exempt our own Constitutional Republic from that "condemnation" on the grounds that it has not really been tried.  Our government began drifting from Constitutional principles almost immediately, such as, but not limited to,  Marbury vs Madison (cf here for an interesting 2009 legal discussion of that case).

I do believe a system formed by and that strictly adhered to the Constitution could be the exception.  I'd love to see THAT experiment tried. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 08:41:51 PM »

I think that Marbury vs. Madison is actually sound legal reasoning.  Why HAVE a Supreme Court if it is not the
final arbiter of the Constitution?

This is what I love about our crazy, eclectic community.  You start a topic and there is NO TELLING where we will
take it!  And we do it all without flaming each other.

I love you guys!!!

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 08:46:43 PM »

I think all systems eventually turn towards capitalism...everyone wants to make money....

If I got stuck in a time in the past, I'd like it to be in 1950s America...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

one time I would not like to go back is the great depression. no jobs AND no booze that is mind blowing we were like a Muslim country
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Philosophical Question of the Day . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.