Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:09:54 AM
713406 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MINE GAMES (2012) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MINE GAMES (2012)  (Read 2100 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: September 20, 2014, 12:14:49 AM »

I rented this movie with zero expectations; it was one of a stack of new release low budget horror/sci-fi films that showed up on the shelves of Hastings recently.  I popped it in to the PC tonight after the wife had claimed the couch, and watched it with only minor interruptions.

It starts like a standard slasher film: a group of recent college grads are travelling to a cabin in the woods to celebrate graduation, and drive through some remote mountain country. Inevitably they get lost; late that night, nearing their destination, they see a man run towards them, waving his arms, and swerving off the road to avoid him, they hit a tree and damage the van.  Fortunately by that point they are within walking distance of the house they are headed towards; they find a note advising them that the owners have gone but they can make themselves at home in the meantime.

So they settle in, partying, drinking, and having fun.  Like I said, standard slasher movie opening.
Then there is a cutaway scene to the house's owners, who are getting jiggy in the back of their RV (the only purpose I could find for this scene was
to provide the requisite B-movie nudity, but since the rest of the film is so dark, it actually was a relief of sorts).  But after they finish making the
sign of the squished avocado together, the dude goes outside and gets a meat cleaver in the gut, then the killer climbs into the RV to go after the girl.

Now, back to the crew at the house.  The next morning they find an abandoned mine, and begin to explore it and pull a few pranks on each other.  BUt
the place is creepy - someone had written on the outside wall BREAK THE CYCLE in a red medium that looks suspiciously like blood.  One of the guys
gets locked in an underground vault as a joke by his friends; it takes them a few minutes to get the door open again, but while they are trying, the guy who is locked in sees something written on the back wall:  THIS IS THE FIRST TIME.

After this the weirdness comes thick and fast.  Two of the guys go back to the mine to look for a lost wallet - and find three dead bodies in one of the chambers.  But two of the bodies are theirs, and the third belongs to their friend whom they just left in the cabin.  And when they return - he is still there!
What is going on?  Are they hallucinating?  Are they dead and in hell?

This was a very clever, well-acted horror film with a good cast and a genuinely unpredictable plot.  I highly recommend it!

5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:30 AM »

That sounds pretty cool, I'll definitely have to keep an eye out for it.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 08:20:11 AM »

I finally watched this on Netflix.  While the plot was pretty cool (too bad it took until the middle of the movie for it to even get started), I just found the characters to be so totally undeveloped and uninteresting that no matter how good the plot eventually turned out to be, I couldn't care less if all these people died.  But I'm glad you at least enjoyed it Indy  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  MINE GAMES (2012) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.