Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:22:13 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987)  (Read 5521 times)
Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 25, 2014, 12:49:07 AM »

I was browsing Netflix with my sister. Since it was October she insisted on a horror movie. When going through the horror classics sectioned I caught a glimpse of the notorious "Pinhead" out the corner of my eye. Although I was familiar with Pinhead as a horror icon I had never seen the movie he was associated with, or even what the movie was about. Of course we agreed on that one, it was a new record for the fastest we've decided on a movie on Netflix.

The movie begins by almost immediately throwing you into the blood and gore violence. This is a genius move for horror movies, it gives the viewer a small taste of what's to come so they're willing to sit through the dull exposition. It doesn't take long for the exposition to end and for the horror to set in.

The special effects remind me of the Evil Dead movies, while the stop-motion makes it look choppy and weird it kind of gives it that 80's gross-out horror feel. Besides, choppy stop-motion scares me. Those Rankin Bass christmas movies should be reclassified as horror... * Shudder *

Overall the movie did what it wanted to do, make my skin crawl. I am proud to proclaim that Clive Barker's Hellraiser has gotten the first A.J. Bauer seal of "TOTALLY f**kED UP"!

Bushma

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:59:57 AM »

I love Hellraiser!  I also enjoyed Hellraiser 2. After that the series went down hill fast.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:17:30 AM »

I love Hellraiser!  I also enjoyed Hellraiser 2. After that the series went down hill fast.

Figures. I might check out Hellraiser 2 when I get the chance.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 06:20:24 AM »

I didn't like this movie at all the first time I saw it in the late 1980s.  A few years ago, I decided to give it another chance. So, I crossed my fingers and bought the DVD.  And I liked it.  A lot.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 10:02:03 AM »

I did hear a rumour that Clive Barker is remaking this one.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Neville

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »

Saw this one just a couple of days ago. I hadn't seen it since the late 80s, and now that there's talk obut a "Nightbreed" Director's Cut I wanted to see how this one was holding up.

It's still easily Barker's best film to date, but far from a masterpiece. The camerawork is pretty good throughout and the story is good, but there are many moments where the whole thing seems way to amateurish. And the aesthetics are just too 80s as well. Those haircuts are as horrifying as the promises of pleasure and pain from Pinhead.

After watching the film I went to the IMDB. I was surprised to learn the whole movie costed around 1 million dollars at the time. Barker can be proud of pulling off this one for such a low budget.

My favourite bits are when Andy Robinson starts channeling uncle Frank. The whole thing gets pretty creepy then, specially when you start to wonder if uncle Frank did get too close to Kristy when she was younger. And the "Jesus wept" line is a classic. I'm still trying to figure out what the hell Frank meant by that.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 06:48:07 AM »

I have been watching all the Hellraiser in order lately (thanks Netflix). I really like the first two and have a fondness for the third. I have just watched Bloodline and Inferno and boy did they suck, but I quite enjoyed them.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

I was browsing Netflix with my sister. Since it was October she insisted on a horror movie. When going through the horror classics sectioned I caught a glimpse of the notorious "Pinhead" out the corner of my eye. Although I was familiar with Pinhead as a horror icon I had never seen the movie he was associated with, or even what the movie was about. Of course we agreed on that one, it was a new record for the fastest we've decided on a movie on Netflix.

The movie begins by almost immediately throwing you into the blood and gore violence. This is a genius move for horror movies, it gives the viewer a small taste of what's to come so they're willing to sit through the dull exposition. It doesn't take long for the exposition to end and for the horror to set in.

The special effects remind me of the Evil Dead movies, while the stop-motion makes it look choppy and weird it kind of gives it that 80's gross-out horror feel. Besides, choppy stop-motion scares me. Those Rankin Bass christmas movies should be reclassified as horror... * Shudder *

Overall the movie did what it wanted to do, make my skin crawl. I am proud to proclaim that Clive Barker's Hellraiser has gotten the first A.J. Bauer seal of "TOTALLY f**kED UP"!

I agree, stop-motion is creepy, especially in horror movies. Come to think of it, your Johnny Depp signature video scares me!  Buggedout

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
JeremyRay
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 05:30:54 AM »

Hellraiser is highly underrated.  The part where Frank is cutting up the rat is one of the best shots in cinema.

Hellraiser's "Engineer" sure is a helluva lot cooler than Prometheus' "Engineer."  I can't help but think Damon Lindelof did a little name lifting. 

And the zombie dragon at the end -  BounceGiggle

Those haircuts are as horrifying as the promises of pleasure and pain from Pinhead.

Hey, I grew up in the eighties!  At least we didn't sag our pants!

Kaseykockroach
Cartoon Enthusiast and Muppet Fanatic
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:47:28 PM »

Christopher Young's score for this film is easily one of my very favorites.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1Z-tQDHprE

Closetshipper.deviantart.com

"You wanna be a genius, it's easy. All you gotta say is, everything stinks. Then you're never wrong."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Clive Barker's Hellraiser (1987) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.