Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:45:55 AM
713384 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange  (Read 5728 times)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« on: October 28, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »

http://comicbook.com/2014/10/27/benedict-cumberbatch-to-play-doctor-strange/

And the fangirls go "Squeeeeee!"

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »

Darn! And I thought I was the only one in the know. LOL!

That was quick. Marvel certainly does not let the moss grow under its stones. No sooner than Joaquin says he is not interested, then Benedict will step into the role. I wonder if Marvel had some idea that Joaquin might not have been interested. And while no one so far is totally unhappy with Benedict in the role, I have mixed feelings. The good news is that I have never heard anyone say anything but positive about Benedict's acting chops. The bad news is that I much more familiar with Joaquin than Benedict.

If so, it is continuing good news for the British film industry, as the film is, for now, scheduled to be shot at U.K.'s Pinewood Studios.

And, unless something else goes wrong, they are looking at a release date of 07/08/16. A date already snagged by Marvel.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »

It's looking good people.
Heck! It's looking more than good. It's looking GREAT! for Phase III.

05/16/15 Captain America III*
11/04/16 Doctor Strange**
11/05/17 Guardians of the Galaxy II
07/25/17 Thor: Ragnarok
11/03/17 Black Panther***
07/06/18 Captain Marvel****
11/02/18 In humans
05/04/18 Avengers: Infinity War I
05/03/19 Avengers: Infinity War II

*The Civil War story arc. I thought it might be done over 2 films, but it seems like they think they can wrap it up in 1 film. And it looks like Robert Downey, jr. will be back as Iron Man with a new contract.

**Pushed back to a later date, but it seems likely that Benedict Cumberbatch will be the title character, or a release date would not be named.

***Welcome Chadwick Boseman as the title character.

****I don't know what this has to do with anything, but this is the Carol Danvers version.

Now bring on Phase IV for 2020 and after.

More news as it becomes available.
Archivist

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but something I am truly enjoying is how the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are all tying in together, and leading from one to the next.  It's like reading a series of great novels, with each coming out a year or two after the last.

What concerns me a bit is how they will handle the increasingly large ensemble casts demanded by the Avengers movies, as each new character is revealed in its headlining movie and then moved into the Avengers.  We're seeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron, and apparently Vision will be making an appearance (pun intended).  How they will handle the scripts, not to mention the budgets of these movies intrigues me no end.

As for Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange: it's not an actor I would have thought of, but Benedict is a very versatile actor and will no doubt step in to the role admirably.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:05:48 AM »

As for Benedict Cumberbatch as Doctor Strange: it's not an actor I would have thought of, but Benedict is a very versatile actor and will no doubt step in to the role admirably.

I just hope they don't set him up as Sherlock with a spell book.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 07:11:50 PM »

I've mentioned this before, but something I am truly enjoying is how the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies are all tying in together, and leading from one to the next.  It's like reading a series of great novels, with each coming out a year or two after the last.

What concerns me a bit is how they will handle the increasingly large ensemble casts demanded by the Avengers movies, as each new character is revealed in its headlining movie and then moved into the Avengers.  We're seeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in Age of Ultron, and apparently Vision will be making an appearance (pun intended).  How they will handle the scripts, not to mention the budgets of these movies intrigues me no end.

That has been a question that has been tossed around the web, and the rumored answer is that the last Avengers film will be in 2019 with part II of the Infinity Wars. And has also been rumored that each character will do a trilogy of films then get out, we have also seen the end Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor, but that still leaves us more films with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Doctor Strange, who get their first film between now and 2019. And then we have the In humans who can follow the Avengers.

Though, what gets my blood stirring is what else is out there in Phase IV in 2020 and thereafter. While we have been introduced to a number of super heroes in the Marvel Universe, we have yet to touch any of the teen super heroes put out by Marvel. There was actually suppose to be a Runaways film in 2012, but that was put on the back burner to concentrate on the Avengers. And 2020 is a good year to bring that idea to the screen. Then we have Avengers Academy, the New Warriors, the Young Avengers, And a teenage Nova, etc. Teen superheroes all.

And while we have also seen a number of Marvel super villains, they have yet to have their stories told from their point of view. It would be appropriate to have the origins of Thanos, Loki, etc. sometime in 2020 or after. A market untapped. And to combine both a teen and a villain, Marvel has a story in which Loki does not die, but is transformed into a boy and sent back to Asgard to make amends for all that he has done. As I am reading that story so far, that has possibilities as a future film.

But, we shall see what we shall see.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 03:27:02 PM »

Doctor Strange? Meh. There's one movie I can skip. Even at the height of my card carryin' Marvel Maniac comic collecting diehard geek period, I never liked Doctor Strange much. Next to Sub-Mariner, he was probably my least favorite character in the Marvel Universe. Out of the 5000+ comics in my collection, I think I had one Doctor Strange ish (and that was only because my boy Spider-Man appeared in it that month!) :D

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »

(IMHO!)

A teenage Spider man is an more interesting character than an adult Spider man.

A teenage Justice, who plays out at 17 or 18, is a more interesting character than an adult Justice, especially, when he pals around with what I like to think is that goofball Speed ball, who plays out at 15 or 16.

A teen son Nova is a more interesting character than an adult father Nova, because of the potential of the old, old story of a missing father. Presumed dead. And a son who vows to find his father, living or dead, if he has to search the whole universe to find him.

Thus, I am looking past Doctor Strange and Phase III to Phase IV in 2020 and beyond. Because of the likelihood of seeing some of the teen Marvel heroes, as whereas the adult Marvel heroes are much set in their ways, the teen Marvel heroes are still dealing with physical body issues, mental issues, emotional issues plus the uniqueness of what it means to be a hero or a villain.

If Thanos comes to a no good end in Avengers: Infinity Wars, Part II in 2019, what better time to do an origins of Thanos story in Avengers: Thanos Rising the next year. Not that I think Thanos is interesting as an adult or as a child, but the potential of the child Thanos is greater, because of all his classmates he pals around with till he chews them up and makes them his first victims. As I said before, but I'll repeat myself . . .

There is . . .
Cythera: the prettiest girl in class and Thanos' 1st girlfriend.
Argos: the leader on the playground and the most popular boy in class.
"Four Eyes:" so called because he wears glasses. The curious boy, and the 2nd smartest boy in class next to Thanos.
Loktus: the class slut, who has slept with all the boys and girls in her class, including the professor, except for Sogarth and Thanos. She is dishonest, but the smart one.
Sogarth: the virgin. He is honest, but the stupid one.

And the . . .
gay couple
black couple
lesbian couple

Plus the others in his class, who make up the 1st murder victims of Thanos.

The same can be said about Loki, if he dies in Thor in 2017, then bring him back in 2020, which is only 3 years later. Brought back to Asgard to make amends for what has happened, but transformed from an adult into a boy. And you have a different relationship with Thor. No longer about equal as men, but as older Bro Thor and younger Bro Loki, which I think is the more interesting relationship.

And whereas he is portrayed as such a cute dickens, both mentally and physically, in the Marvel story, I can forgive him for his lies and trickery, which I cannot do, when he is an adult.

And then there is his friendship with a girl his own age called Leah. You have to love someone who knees him in the groin, when she first sees him, so he is now on the floor and writhing in pain and clutching himself. And she is smart. And strong enough to keep him on the straight and narrow. Using his trickery and lies for good instead of evil. And when they are both old enough, they'd make a good couple.

I also like the puzzle of what you do with teen sex. Striker of Avenger's Academy has come out as gay in a Marvel story. Brought out by another student at the academy. A bisexual female. Who has hooked up with a lesbian member of the Runaways. In any film, do you ignore this, even if these characters and other such in Marvel are role models for GLBT youth, or do you include it to some extent.

But .  . .?! We shall see what we shall see in Phase IV in 2020 and later.
Archivist

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »

In a Marvel-related note, I hope they don't s**te up Fantastic Four like they did the first time.  Reducing Dr Doom to a moustache-twirling villain was beyond execrable. 

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »

I know that FF and Spidy are held by different companys than the rest of the Marvel Universe-but I sure would like them to be intergrated with the Avengers movie universe. I would LOVE to see Namor and the Original Human Torch with Captain America and Bucky do battle in WW 2...alongside the first Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos!
And why Mobieus the Living Vampire?
I would love to see the Inhumans too!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

Doctor Strange? Meh. There's one movie I can skip. Even at the height of my card carryin' Marvel Maniac comic collecting diehard geek period, I never liked Doctor Strange much. Next to Sub-Mariner, he was probably my least favorite character in the Marvel Universe. Out of the 5000+ comics in my collection, I think I had one Doctor Strange ish (and that was only because my boy Spider-Man appeared in it that month!) :D

I was never much of a Doctor Strange or Sub-Mariner fan when I was younger.  But I have come to enjoy them in recent years.  There are some pretty good Doctor Strange stories in his original run in Strange Tales (half the book was Dr. Strange and the other half was Nick Fury, Agent of Shield).  I've also bought about a dozen Sub-Mariner comics from the 1960s & 70s on eBay over the past few years and I enjoyed reading them.  I think both characters were most interesting in the Defenders comics from the 70s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 11:13:32 AM »

I wonder how they're going to explain Strange becoming the Sorcerer Supreme in a setting in which there doesn't seem to be real "magic", just extremely advanced technology.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »

I know that FF and Spidy are held by different companys than the rest of the Marvel Universe-but I sure would like them to be intergrated with the Avengers movie universe. I would LOVE to see Namor and the Original Human Torch with Captain America and Bucky do battle in WW 2...alongside the first Nick Fury and his Howling Commandos!

Well, it looks like you'll get one of your wishes, RCMerchant. "Inhumans" coming in 2018 with Vin Diesel as Black Bolt. Till then you might want to try "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on ABC. As rumored, a couple of the characters on the show have turned out to be Inhumans.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:22:49 AM »

Well, it looks like you'll get one of your wishes, RCMerchant. "Inhumans" coming in 2018 with Vin Diesel as Black Bolt. Till then you might want to try "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on ABC. As rumored, a couple of the characters on the show have turned out to be Inhumans.

Vin Diesel is the perfect actor to play Black Bolt because Black Bolt usually doesn't speak.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 10:32:52 AM »

Vin Diesel is the perfect actor to play Black Bolt because Black Bolt usually doesn't speak.

Good call-Black Bolt-in the comcis-doesnt speak. I was thrilled in the 70's to see the INhumans batttle Hulk-drawn by Jack Kirby-epic.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Benedict Cumberbatch to play Doctor Strange « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.