Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:34:45 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Three Knock Theater Podcast: Episode 0: Horror in General « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Three Knock Theater Podcast: Episode 0: Horror in General  (Read 3630 times)
clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 06, 2014, 10:43:50 AM »

Some friends and I decided to start our own low-budget podcast.

This is one of our early test sessions that we decided later to morph into Episode 0 (so it lacks an intro and has minimal editing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6srT2mRlb4

Our first episode, scheduled for this month, will cover Friday the 13th (1980), naturally :)

Join us as we discuss all things schlock at Three Knock Theater podcast:

Facebook Group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/197572800347267/

Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrLYkyXabfSwpcRQjhUMErQ
StinkerMadness
Stinker Man
Dedicated Viewer

It Stinks!

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 11:40:27 AM »

Wow, 2 hours. Unfortunately, I won't have time to listen to the whole thing. Sounds like you guys know what you are talking about though. I would be happy to give some tips/criticism if needed.

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 12:48:13 PM »

Thanks for checking it out. Tips and critz always welcome. I have my own self criticisms hehe.

Could definitely use tips on various ways of recording, sound editing, and especially on ways to reduce the file size, and the like. I'm still in the process of testing out various software for recording, editing, etc. So as we continue, I'm sure I will learn and apply more efficient ways of creating these.

Keep in mind, though; this wasn't intended to really be an episode. We just got together to practice, get to know each other (I know everyone on it but they didn't know each other), test the sound/recording, etc. Only afterwards we were like, "hell, let's make 'that' episode 0!" heh.

We have a schedule of films we are going to focus on (one per episode). And we will also have a basic script to follow (which we did not bother with on this one, hence why we kinda jump all over the place).

Again, your feedback and interest are much appreciated.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
StinkerMadness
Stinker Man
Dedicated Viewer

It Stinks!

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 02:08:49 PM »

So what I would do is completely ditch the stereo recording. Its distracting for listeners (especially headphone listeners). It also adds a ton to your file size. Just do mono.

As for editor, I use Audacity. Its not as good as a professional audio editor but its free and it does the job. I would also bring your lows up and your highs down by using a built in compressor effect so that all volumes are within a specified range so that nothing is missed or too loud.

As for format, I don't know what you have planned so I'll just give you my advice. You may already know this. But I would stick with less than an hour. The movie category of podcasting is VERY saturated and a long podcast without a dedicated listenership is going to be tough to attract new users. Also a clear format (first we do this, then this, then this and then end with this) is pretty important as users can always know what to expect.

But the one thing I have found that is MOSTLY needed in movie podcasting is people that know what they are talking about. Nothing is more frustrating to hear than an movie expert podcast with a list or reference that shows them as obviously not watching that many movies, just main stays. And with some of your references and thoughts, its clear you guys watch a lot of movies and pay attention - not just talk about Friday 13th and Freddy but also Thankskilling (which I think 4 people in the world saw including you, me and Lloyd). So you have that going for you. Keep it up and when you guys get REALLY going let us know!

clockworkcanary
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »

Those are great tips -thank you! I'm such a newbie at this part of it (the technical side of it).

I just downloaded Audacity no less than two days ago (funny you mentioned that) and am still learning how everything works.

I've tested some recording software, and have noticed issues with each, so far. The first couple I tried recorded the Skype call, but most of the voices (except mine) were way too low. The latest one I recorded with has the best sound balance, but it doesn't have many preferences I can control, so it automatically records in stereo (something that I might be able to change in Audacity?). I will review those preferences again to see if I can switch to mono.

Also noticed Audacity does not convert to MP3, which would save file space, but it does have a third party app that you can download, but their site looked suspicious, so I haven't gotten it yet (I believe it's called Lame?).

Regarding the timeframe, yes, we've discussed that we'd like to keep future episodes to less than an hour -easier to work with. And yes, a script is mandatory. I've hammered out a template for everyone (still debating on the specifics) but everyone is on board with it.

I figure our first few will be a little rough but get progressively better (technically and content/presentation-wise).

Thanks so much for your advice. It's been a hell of a learning curve.

Facebook Group:

Youtube channel:
StinkerMadness
Stinker Man
Dedicated Viewer

It Stinks!

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »

Yes, LAME is ok to download FYI. It's a must for the program.  And yes it will allow you to export in mono so you can just import in stereo and then set the track to mono.  Pretty easy to use once you figure everything out.

Good luck and keep us posted! I would also recommend setting up an iTunes feed and/or promotion on Twitter.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Three Knock Theater Podcast: Episode 0: Horror in General « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.