Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:01:23 AM
713403 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, the Riots Have Begun « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Well, the Riots Have Begun  (Read 14013 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 25, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »

Ferguson, MO is in flames tonight.
I just hope no one else has to die because of the tragic events of three months ago.
It's a shame that Michael Brown was killed, but the fact remains that if he had simply gotten
out of the road when the cop asked him to, he would probably still be alive. Now who knows
how much blood and treasure will be lost because of his poor choices that night?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:30 AM »

Spoiled brats down at VCU have started some sort of solidarity march...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 10:55:09 AM »

How much blood? As much blood as it takes to get what appears to be police brutality getting off scot-free being brought to anarchy justice.

yeah no.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 12:12:43 PM »

After today I think cops everywhere will be required to wear bodycams.

I hope so anyway. If we had footage we may have found out what happened.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:49 PM »

I do think body cams are a good idea.  However, in this case I think the forensics combined with the testimony of several key witnesses have given us a pretty good idea of what happened.  It's tragic, no doubt, but I also think the verdict was correct.
That being said, if I disagreed, I still wouldn't go out and torch someone's property or try to hurt people.
It is not the fact of protest but the manner of protest I have issues with.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 03:43:02 PM »

If you're old enough, think back to the Terry Schiavo case. She was mostly mentally incapacitated, but it appeared that she was kind of there. Here's the thing: if she'd been more overtly with it and functioning no one would have suggested taking her off life support. If she had shown no signs at all of being conscious no one would have said anything if her feeding tubes were removed. She was in between and it's in that grey area that controversies are born.

Michael Brown was a thug. He had just robbed a store with his bare hands something I've never even heard of. At the same time, did his altercation with a cop HAVE to end in his death? Would a more experienced officer have handled it differently? This is the nature of "stories", they have some sort of rub.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 04:00:30 PM »

Severe though the consequences may have been, Michael Brown, through the decisions he freely chose to make, was the author of his own destruction, and the blame for his death lies solely with him. On that fatal day had he no thought for his parents, and how his death would affect them? What did he hope to gain from beating up an armed policeman? Did he see something heroic in that? The fact that he acted as he did shows the roots of a problem that began long before that August afternoon.

While loss of a human life is regrettable, I find it hard to conjure much pity a man who gets high, steals, and then dies as a result of an assault on a police officer. More than anything I feel bad for the cop in this case. His life is ruined and overwhelming evidence shows he did nothing wrong. Next to the officer I pity the business owners of Ferguson who fired no shots and took no lives, and yet have had to watch their property, their very livelihood, burned to the ground. And for what?

The looting happening in Ferguson, Missouri is disgusting and has nothing to do with any sane person's quest for something as sacred as social justice. This matter was from the start a case built on lies and hysteria, exploited by opportunists with only the most tangential stake in the situation. I largely reserved judgment until the grand jury came in, and what scientific evidence shows is that a thief who was intoxicated attacked a police officer multiple times, and ultimately lost his life while another man was defending his own.

Also sickening is the video of the late Michael Brown's father standing atop a car last night, screaming at a crowd to "Burn the b***h down." So much for the media trying to portray him as a peacemaker.

If Ferguson, Missouri is showing us anything right now it is how easily people are mislead, and how quickly they can become unthinking savages. Parents should do a better job of instilling values in their children, and maybe they wouldn’t grow up to live lives of crime, and reap the hard consequences of their wrongdoing.  And for the record, if a cop is pointing a gun at you, it’s a really stupid idea to charge him. But then again it’s stupid to get high, steal from a store, walk down the middle of a street, and get in a fight with a cop in the first place.

The supposed murder of Michael “Gentle Giant” Brown is the biggest crock to come along since Tom Wolfe imagined a similar circumstance in a once far-fetched fantasy called Bonfire of the Vanities. When facts mean nothing and lies command mobs, there’s not much reason to feel hope for the future of society. This is what the brave men and women who marched in Selma bled for?

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »

was stepfather who said that
VenomX73

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

Also sickening is the video of the late Michael Brown's father standing atop a car last night, screaming at a crowd to "Burn the b***h down." So much for the media trying to portray him as a peacemaker.

The supposed murder of Michael “Gentle Giant” Brown

I agree with you.

1 - IMO The people rioting and looting right now are a bunch of animals (period)

2 - The main stream media is a JOKE.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 06:19:45 PM by VenomX73 » Logged

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 02:57:12 PM »

Why Charles Barkley supports the Ferguson grand jury decision
Former NBA star Charles Barkley called Ferguson looters 'scumbags' and said that 'key forensic evidence, and several black witnesses that supported Officer Darren Wilson’s story...'

http://news.yahoo.com/why-charles-barkley-supports-ferguson-grand-jury-decision-163736319.html

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »

Even Sir Charles gets it right every now and then!

Good grief, I heard some comments made by Louis Farrakhan this weekend.  He basically called on blacks to rise up and murder whites in retaliation (I mean, more than they already do.)

Here are the stats, as I recall them - feel free to fact check.

93% of black homicide victims are murdered by other blacks, 7% by white and Hispanics.
Over 30% of white homicide victims are murdered by blacks.

Maybe we should go set our own neighborhoods on fire to protest?

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 09:49:59 PM »

When they released the verdict that the officer who shot Michael Brown would not be facing charges, we had protests here in Cleveland.  Not just for Michael Bown but for our own recent  incident where an officer shot and killed a 12 year old who had a toy gun modified to look real.  Protestors laid down in Tower City Square and some even shut down the freeway for a few hours. 

Luckily, that was about it for us.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

It's this culture that teaches young people that the proper way to react to law enforcement is with aggression and defiance.
I would never have dreamed of waving even a toy gun at a cop!
It's horrible and tragic that a young child died, but at the same time you have to wonder - what on earth was he thinking?
"I'm going to modify my Airsoft pistol to look like a firearm and wave it at the first policeman I see?"

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

Here are the stats, as I recall them - feel free to fact check.

93% of black homicide victims are murdered by other blacks, 7% by white and Hispanics.
Over 30% of white homicide victims are murdered by blacks.

I usually stay out of these debates, but according to the FBI's 2011 statistics 83% of whites were murdered by other whites. Only 14% of whites were murdered by blacks. 91% of blacks were murdered by other blacks. 55% of "other races" were murdered by "other races." This is what we would expect, since people are usually murdered by someone they know, often a spouse.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/crime-in-the-u.s.-2011/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-6

That's the first primary source I found using Google, so there may be other figures out there, but I'd be surprised if there was a reputable source saying 30% of whites were murdered by blacks.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 11:21:19 PM »

When I was in high school a minister from an inner city AME church came and spoke at an interfaith assembly talking about how he spent over forty weeks a year going to schools and church youth groups in urban areas, telling young black males how to save their own lives through their conduct around police officers.

This gentleman was from the Civil Rights Movement generation, about sixty or so, wise, knew the ins and outs of the law, and made a lot of good points. He said yeah, cops may be in the wrong in a situation, but you'll have a better chance of getting fairer treatment if you use common sense and conduct yourself in the right way. He advised that you never be rude to a police officer, make no sudden moves, never fight the police, and if your rights are violated, file a claim and sort that out later.

He said if police have stopped you and want to search you for what you think is an unfair reason, do not be combative, tell them, "I do not consent to a search, but I also will not resist you." Later when things are calmer, he said, a person could access lawyers, tell his side in front of a judge, possibly get justice, but that all depended on surviving the encounter in the first place. He also said don't get drunk and high because that increases your odds of coming to a bad end.

He cited the number of young minority males dying through police intervention on a weekly basis, and it was not a small figure. He'd made it his life's mission to try to get the word out in "at risk" communities, and it's a shame the advice he passed along in his presentations was never adopted as standard educational doctrine, because it would have made a difference in the Michael Brown case. Twenty years later I haven't heard anyone duplicating his message in this era, and I doubt that good man's still alive to get the word out.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Well, the Riots Have Begun « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.