Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:12:35 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The 10 Best Guilty Pleasure Movies of 2014 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The 10 Best Guilty Pleasure Movies of 2014  (Read 4028 times)
claws
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:08:35 AM »

This according to variety.com. Apparently in no particular order.

“Pompeii”
Despite its tepid love story, this tale of a doomed civilization perched on the edge of a CGI volcano was the most unabashedly enjoyable sword-and-sandal movie of the year. Weightier than both Hercules adventures, Paul W.S. Anderson’s “Pompeii” took itself far less seriously than the Biblical epics “Noah” and “Exodus: Gods and Kings.” And while the 3D eruption of Mount Vesuvius was indeed stunning, it’s Kiefer Sutherland’s wonderfully hammy turn as a villainous Roman Senator that stole the show.

“Vampire Academy”
In a year that found scores of young adult novels making their way to movie screens, this adaptation of a bestselling YA series bombed at the box office, but offered more naughty attitude than all of the “Twilight” films combined. Helmed by the director of “Mean Girls,” “Vampire Academy” packed in too much unnecessary backstory, but a bright performance by newcomer Zoey Deutch and a self-aware script by the writer of “Heathers” gave it a snappy personality all its own.

“Into the Storm”
If you ever wondered what the late master of disaster Irwin Allen would’ve done with the found footage genre, look no further than this visually spectacular, albeit spectacularly shallow, tornado thriller. Emphasizing frighteningly realistic special effects over little things like character and plot, “Into the Storm” places viewers directly in the path of one rampaging twister after another. Though the filmmakers skimp on substance, there’s no denying their commitment to crafting thrilling set-pieces. Weather-related destruction never looked so good.

“No Good Deed”
Part home invasion chiller, part Lifetime drama, this story about a smooth-talking psycho who cons his way inside a woman’s house became a surprise sleeper thanks to the smart casting of Idris Elba and Taraji P. Henson in the leads. Handsomely produced by hitmaker Will Packer, the film’s skillful blend of suspense and melodrama struck a chord with audiences eager for a grown-up thriller with a PG-13 rating.

“Step Up All In”
This lively entry in the now-3D dance series brings back the stars of the previous four installments (minus Channing Tatum, unfortunately) to compete in a glitzy Las Vegas hip-hop contest. With its bubblegum color scheme, EDM soundtrack and gravity-defying choreography, “Step Up All In” dazzles whenever the paper-thin characters stop talking and start moving.

“Nurse 3D”
A gloriously gory sick-joke of a movie, “Nurse 3D” embraces its exploitation lineage like a maniac embraces his (or in this case, her) victim. As the titular terror, model-turned-actress Paz de la Huerta gives the kind of full-bodied, and full-frontal, performance upon which grindhouse legends are made. Her go-for-broke insanity, coupled with the film’s joyfully sleazy set-pieces, makes this the most unhinged medical-themed slasher movie since “Dr. Giggles.”

“Dracula Untold”
While this year’s muddled monster-mash “I, Frankenstein” turned Mary Shelley’s classic novel into an undercooked “Underworld” knockoff, this Bram Stoker revamp was a far more successful horror update. Amid the expected cheese, Luke Evans brings a welcome dose of authority and Gothic sexuality to the role of Vlad the Impaler. Though its CGI battle scenes eventually overstay their welcome, “Dracula Untold” features enough gruesome action and deliciously silly mumbo-jumbo to keep hungry bloodsucker fans well fed.

“Dying of the Light”
Fans of iconoclastic filmmaker Paul Schrader had reason to feel guilty for simply watching the auteur’s latest movie. No stranger to controversy, the director famously disowned the CIA thriller when producers re-edited and rescored the completed film against his wishes. The result is a disjointed mess that somehow still retains enough of Schrader’s intriguing obsessions and icy dispassion to make it essential viewing for completists.

“Winter’s Tale”
No less an authority than Martin Scorsese deemed the source novel unfilmable, but that didn’t stop writer-director-producer Akiva Goldsman from attempting it anyway. Perhaps he should have listened. With its wonky timeline, saccharine romance and below-average special effects, this preposterous story about demons, destiny and magical horses might be the most baffling studio release since “Zardoz.” And yet “Winter’s Tale” is the very definition of a guilty pleasure: a movie so absurd that you can’t help but admire it.

“Enemies Closer”
Though it covered well-trodden ground, this quirky thriller about a park ranger fighting for his life against a team of Canadian drug runners offered more old-school action than “The Expendables 3,” and for a fraction of the budget. Sporting an unfortunate head of shaggy red hair, Jean Claude Van Damme chewed the scenery as the leader of the Quebecois cartel. Spouting nonstop non sequiturs about veganism and sustainable living, Van Damme’s villain was one of the most memorable movie baddies of the year.
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:54:16 AM »

I still wanna see Dracula Untold and I agree with Into the Storm and Enemies Closer being on there, but I really think Nurse 3D wasn't a guilty pleasure and more of a genuine good movie.

WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 01:12:40 PM »

I liked Pompeii

Want to see Into the Storm,and No Good Deed

I can wait to see Dracula Untold

Haven't heard about Enemies Closer but it sounds like it could be  a fun watch.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
VenomX73

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:18:59 PM »

How the heck did I not know about this Dracula?... the trailer looks amazing!

Thanks for mentioning this - I must see it now.

Dracula Untold - Official Trailer (HD)

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:10:23 PM »

Dracula Untold - Official Trailer (HD)

Im gonna have to kill you people. Dracula like -aw f**k to pretty. Really? DRACULA> Drinks blood-I dunno-I guess the goth folks-Dracula is Lugosi for me.Thats like Karloff Frankenstein-BELA is Dracula-I dont give a f**k if I seem old fashion-Bela is Dracula-Chris Lee is ool-but when some one initates Dracula-they dont imitate Lee. They do Lugosi.
Lugosi's voice-his voie! He dont need gore or faangs...Bela was good because he invoked-domination. He was evil that made you want to be evil-cuz hes so cool.
Maybe Im just saying this because Im evil.
HAHAHAHA!

Small | Large

NObody is better than Lugosi...try...death...will come-to YOU!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:17:36 PM »

I say this and I say that-Lugosi is the best actor on this world. I love Bela Lugosi-Hes a genuis-I will not listen to any people who say different.
I will say your full of s**t and call you a Nazi.  Cheers

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
VenomX73

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:47 PM »

I agree with you on Bela Lugosi is the BEST! He is the MASTER.

Bela Lugosi is Dracula... I know.

I just wanted to watch something different for a change.
I've watched many Dracula movies in my time...

ChaosTheory

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 01:05:47 PM »

I admit I wanna see POMPEII. Anderson is the definition of "guilty pleasure" for me.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 06:24:08 PM »

Im gonna have to kill you people. Dracula like -aw f**k to pretty. Really? DRACULA> Drinks blood-I dunno-I guess the goth folks-Dracula is Lugosi for me.Thats like Karloff Frankenstein-BELA is Dracula-I dont give a f**k if I seem old fashion-Bela is Dracula-Chris Lee is ool-but when some one initates Dracula-they dont imitate Lee. They do Lugosi.
Lugosi's voice-his voie! He dont need gore or faangs...Bela was good because he invoked-domination. He was evil that made you want to be evil-cuz hes so cool.
Maybe Im just saying this because Im evil.
HAHAHAHA!

http://youtu.be/zGCCmMW4GdY

NObody is better than Lugosi...try...death...will come-to YOU!

Uhmmm....did I miss something?   Something's seems to be going on here.

First off, I really didn't bring up Dracula Untold in the first place.  The original poster and the article from Variety did that.  I merely mentioned the movie in response to that.

Secondly, I said "I can wait to see Dracula Untold"; as in I'll see it when I see it, but I'm not going to rush out and get it.

Next thing I know somebody gratefully thanking me as if I introduced them to some lost treasure and another person is ready to kill me for besmirching a classic.

In my own personal history of posting stuff online, those may be the two most polar opposite responses I've gotten to something I've said.  (And I was active on the DC comics forum during the great GL: Hal Jordan vs Kyle Rayner flame wars.  Team Kyle)     
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 06:32:25 PM by WingedSerpent » Logged

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
VenomX73

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 06:34:33 PM »

how is me saying -

a joke? I really didn't know about this Dracula...

I really want to see it - RC was the one upset with me... look back and read that again.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The 10 Best Guilty Pleasure Movies of 2014 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.