Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:57:12 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Swimmers going under 60 second for 100m « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Swimmers going under 60 second for 100m  (Read 7520 times)
Swimmer
Dedicated Viewer

« on: December 23, 2014, 10:55:34 PM »

Looking for a title of a film from the 80s or (probably) earlier. There are a few scenes I can remember:

A fat guy sitting in a spa. I think the fat guy is something of a narrator.

The same fat guy swimming butterfly, only it's painfully obvious he's jumping off the floor of the pool.

There's a girl and a guy who are in a will-they/won't-they relationship. They are both swimmers and as such the film is set pretty much entirely at an outdoor swimming pool. I've got a vague memory of the girl being reluctant to swim.

At the end of the film, she swims the 100m in under a minute in a competition. A moment later he does pretty much the same thing, only, if I remember correctly, better. There's a shot of an old-fashioned sweep-hand stopwatch (which is why I think it's from before the 80s).

If it helps, I saw it on TV in Australia in the early 90s. It was in colour.

It's pretty bad. I think it's supposed to be a comedy, but if you've seen a film which fits the description but didn't laugh once, there's a pretty good chance it's the one.
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 09:15:17 AM »

My guess is this is ALEX (92) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106240/?ref_=kw_li_tt
Fits with a lot of what you've described and feels older than it is.
Rayo Casablanca
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 09:17:22 AM »

It could also be DAWN! (79) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079029/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
Very similar to ALEX, this is another Aussie swimming film.
Swimmer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 04:00:32 PM »

It's not 'Dawn!' or 'Alex'. In the mystery movie, the female protagonist had blonde hair. I've got a vague memory that she wore a red bathing suit. And no, she certainly didn't go to the Olympics (Dawn!) or follow-up on other activities (Alex). It's possible, not definite, but I think the girl was reluctant to actually swim.

From memory, it was looked like it was a much lower budget effort than either 'Dawn!' or 'Alex' and had all the related low-budget requisites such as embarrassingly-poor acting. It might not be Australian; I only saw it on Australian TV. It's also probably more of a teen sex-comedy type film, although I don't remember any sex going on (although it may have been censored for late-night Australian TV).

Thanks for the effort though!
Swimmer
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »

By chance, it looks like I've found the title: 'Swim Team' (1979). And what a terrible movie it looks to be. Time to find myself a copy for complete disappointment.

SOLVED.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  Swimmers going under 60 second for 100m « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.