Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:01:38 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you, or did you, play pen-and-paper role play games? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you, or did you, play pen-and-paper role play games?  (Read 3927 times)
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 05, 2015, 06:05:17 AM »

I was wondering if there is any other player of pen-and-paper RPG games, in the past I played quite a bit with overly complex rules systems like D&D...

Nowadays I play fairly rarely, if ever, and I moved to ultra-simple rules like Altars & Archetypes, in order to focus on the adventure, the characters, and the fun.

What about y'all, do you play?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 06:31:42 AM »

No I never played any games like that.  I love my Skyrim and Fallout on the PC though  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
claws
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:40:21 AM »

I had to look this up on wiki.

Most games follow the pattern established by the first published role-playing game, Dungeons & Dragons.

Never played Dungeons & Dragons so I guess I'm out of the game  Bluesad
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 01:56:05 PM »

I tried as a youth.   However it all turned out to be accounting and map making until your character gets killed.

Once computers did all the work I was much happier.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »

Tried to a few times when I was a pre-teen but could never really get very far. Too hard to get a group together at the same time, then it was just endless paperwork. I agree with Ed and Jack that when computers handle all the accounting and math it's much easier and more fun. You do lose the social element, though.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ChaosTheory

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »

I play D&D sometimes. Not so much lately as my group decided we needed to change up everyone's characters just as the one I had was really starting to flesh out and be fun to play.

D&D can be a lot of fun or it can be a lot of paperwork, it really depends on the group you're playing with and how much of a sense of humor the DM has.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:06 PM »

I agree with you, and actually that is the reason now I only play ultra simple rules system.

After all, the main point is the social element and the freedom you get from having a human referee (the game master), definitely not the paperwork... If you are more interested in using and abusing rules computer games are much better.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:57 AM »

No, never but probably only because I didn't have a group of like-minded people with similar interests around me.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

Pathfinder and D&D 2.0 for a while. I would go to Owatonna every Saturday for a while.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 11:57:28 AM »

Yes. Some and quite a bit.

The some.
My younger sister had a college friend, who was into Dungeons and Dragons, and when we went up to visit her, she ran the two of us through a role-playing session. Very interesting. Though, that was the only time I did something like that. More likely it was . . .

Quite a bit
playing role-playing as a solo individual. There were role playing games that were written so you could play them by yourself.

And then there were your paperback books that you read, and then when you came to a point in the story, you were given two or more choices, and you opted for one of those choices. Sometimes you picked the right one, and sometimes you picked the wrong one.

Most of these were your typical fantasy, horror, science fiction roleplaying--of sorts--stories, but others were based on Middle Earth, Narnia, Sherlock Holmes, etc. I was quite fond of these, and while they are now all locked up in storage, anytime I saw one of these, I laid my money down and picked up a copy.

The history of the company that originally came up with Dungeons and Dragons is in and of itself interesting enough, that there have been books written about it. What apparently began well and grew increasingly in size, came crashing down, when the company--apparently--could not adapt to the changing consumer market, and when the partners that founded the company came into conflict, that--apparently--could not be resolved, over company policies.

Does anybody still have all those odd sized dice you needed to play? I still have mine, but--again--they are locked away in storage.
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:07:05 PM »

@A.J. Bauer
In my opinion Pathfinder fixes some, but inherits most of the flaws of D&D.

In particular:

Fixes: the rules push to insane multiclassing;

Keeps: to make PNGs is far too long; too big difference of power between classes; spells are too powerful making casters "binary beings": or they win or they're useless.

@BoyScoutKevin
Yes, I do. I have two small boxes that look like treasure chests full of dice.
Now I am considering to buy few d14, d16, and d18 to have the whole stair between d4 and d20 :D

Really gentleman, if you get the chance, try to play with ultra simple rules. In my experience it seems limiting in the beginning, but after one or two sessions you get the hang of it and simply stop thinking about all the messy rules and enjoy interpreting your character.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 12:11:17 PM »

I never did for some reason

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 02:37:31 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDJ1UOpxjt4

(Sorry about the fundie bit, that is a bit much).

EVIL! EVIL EEEEEVILLLLLL!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 02:50:23 AM »

Did, and do.  (pathfinder.)

Played lots of first Ed Ad&D, Champions.  Back in the day.  :)

Love Skyrim, and Fallout.  (Meaning 1 2 and 3)
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 02:08:36 PM »

Did, and do.  (pathfinder.)

Played lots of first Ed Ad&D, Champions.  Back in the day.  :)

Love Skyrim, and Fallout.  (Meaning 1 2 and 3)

Fallout 1, 2 and tactics are my all time favorite games... If my avatars don't give that away. I want to play the newer ones, but my technology is old school.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do you, or did you, play pen-and-paper role play games? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.