Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:31:46 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Art movies « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Art movies  (Read 5434 times)
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« on: January 06, 2015, 12:36:34 PM »

I have a new friend that is in art movies; she likes movies that could tell the innermost parts of people, or life, or society.

In the begin I thought she liked movies like Shaun of the Dead (2004) or The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005) that are fun, but you can read quite a bit of subtext if you want.

This smiley really show how I usually feel in front of such movies: BounceGiggle In the begin I laugh, after I think there is some bitter truth...

When she gave me this titles...

Rashomon (1950)
Tokyo Story (1953)
Wild Strawberries (1957)
Mirror (1975)
Stalker (1979)
To Live (1994)

And Buggedout it become obvious I completely missed the idea. I am aware that this place might not be the right one... But do you know art movies? Do you like them?
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 01:27:26 PM »

Yes, despite the moniker (which we're actually quite proud of), our tastes here are very eclectic!

Off the top of my head:
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/eltopo/
A western of sorts with loads of pretentious artsy fartsy stuff, mixed with all the elements of a great b-movie.

And I always have to mention La Belle Noiseuse. I don't know what it's about, but it's got four hours of Emmanuelle Beart casing about as nature intended in a painter's studio.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Flangepart

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 01:37:07 PM »

Andrew on El Topo...

> It is a creative film, filled with memorable symbolism, scenes that confound the viewer, and characters who belong in separate asylums (to prevent them from ganging up on reality).<

And that's why I love the Borntreger way with words.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 01:59:37 PM »

are we talking 'art house' movies, or just ones that are a bit 'arty'? never known the difference really, maybe there isn't much of one?

Valerie And Her Week Of Wonders  might fit this category

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 02:43:51 PM »

I don't know the difference, but there are definitely movies that try to be "artistic" and are only "artsy" or pure nonsense.

The extreme example: After Last Season (2009), wanted to be an artistic movie it is actually an endurance test.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »

yeah I guess when films try too hard to be arty and weird, it just comes off as pretentious.

Valerie... doesn't suffer from that fate. Jess Franco's Female Vampire might be worth a shot too, that is just absurd

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 04:33:38 PM »

I consider there are three types of movies:

1. Mainstream movies intended to appeal to the widest audience possible: action, broad comedy, formula romance, superheroes, James Bond, etc.
2. Exploitation movies which deal with subject matter that's too gross, violent, or sexual for the mainstream. (Lately, exploitation movies have been fairly mainstream, however). Most "bad movies" fall into this category but they could also be hilarious failures from either of the other two genres.
3. Art movies, which are aimed at a specialized audience who consider movies according to their artistic merit.

I like all three types, art movies the most. Great exploitation movies (whether intentionally or unintentionally so) are better than average mainstream movies or mediocre art movies. They are rare treasures to be shared and celebrated here.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Jitters
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 05:10:23 PM »

Ha, yes.  Of that list she gave you, they're also simply called "great movies"!  Regarded to be masterpieces in some cases.
claws
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 01:30:35 AM »

Amer (2009) is highly recommended. It pays homage to 1970s giallos while dissecting giallos the same time. One of my new favorites.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 01:06:26 PM »

Amer (2009) is highly recommended. It pays homage to 1970s giallos while dissecting giallos the same time. One of my new favorites.
Nice. big 70s giallo fan but not heard of this one.

On the subject of gialli (or giallos) Fulci's Lizard In A Woman's Skin is the most 'arty' and surreal one I've seen. Surprised it's actually a Fulci film, it's very classy and sophisticated (well almost) compared to the more schlock-horror style he became known for

major jay

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »

Watched AN AMERICAN HIPPIE IN ISRAEL recently and it was both an art film and a hilarious failure. A rare feat indeed. I thought it was great.

etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:41 AM »

I saw El Topo time ago, it was an interesting experience.

I started to see the next movie of the same director The Holy Mountain (1973), but for some reason I never finished it.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 02:20:17 PM »

I've seen an edited for television version of that last one by Tarkovsky...
I keep meaning to see Solaris because I understand one of my favorite b-movies was inspired by it...

I have a VHS copy of the Klaus Kinski version of Nosferatu, which get pretty weird  at times...
Funny thing about Klaus Kinski, how he's known in the US for doing a lot of b-movies, but he's known in Europe for a lot of highfaluting artsy fartsy films... Except for one or two spaghetti westerns.

That's the kind of actor I'd like to be; Just BUSY.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
316zombie
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 03:25:53 PM »

there's a flick from 2005 called" the mummy an' the armadillo" that she would like.
you would too, rc, i think.
actually many here would like it, if only for the set, which is mind blowing!
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 08:08:08 PM »

And I always have to mention La Belle Noiseuse. I don't know what it's about, but it's got four hours of Emmanuelle Beart casing about as nature intended in a painter's studio.

This movie always puzzled the crap out of me.  It epitomized everything that I felt was wrong about French cinema at the time: incomprehensible plot, long drawn out scenes where nothing actually happens, and the length of the movie itself being enough for two.  Emmanuelle Beart is lovely to look at, but when it takes her five minutes of onscreen time to drink a cup of tea while gazing reflectlvely into the distance, even my patience is taxed.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Art movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.