Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:40:31 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fantastic Four (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Fantastic Four (2015)  (Read 6781 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 28, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »

Not even the sight of Jessica Alba in her underwear could save the slow motion train wreck that was the Fantastic Four movie of 2005.  Fox really foxed that one up.  Especially egregious in its bastardization of Victor Von Doom, it reduced him from a noble and complex megalomaniac to a two bit movie villain.  But now, Josh Trank draws upon David Cronenberg and the Marvel Ultimates series to hopefully redeem the Fantastic Four on the big screen.

Fantastic Four Teaser TRAILER 1 (2015) - Kate Mara, Miles Teller Movie HD

This looks quite promising.  The cinematography reminds me of some of the newer DC movies like Man of Steel.  I'm crossing my fingers for this one, and placed it in the Good Movies forum as a hope for the future.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »

Trailer looks interesting, but I have to admit that I never cared much for the Fantastic Four.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 04:19:57 PM »

Trailer looks interesting, but I have to admit that I never cared much for the Fantastic Four.

Same here, which is why I probably won't see it. Not that the role of Johnny Storm/The Human Torch, who was previously portrayed as white, is now a black man, played by Afro-American actor Michael B. Jordan, which seems to be getting most of the attention.

Not that I can complain about the change from white to black, as Nick Fury was originally a white man, then they cast the Afro-American actor Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury in "The Avengers." And now whenever I see the character of Nick Fury, I expect him to be a black man.

If I have a greater complaint about casting, it is casting Jamie Bell as Ben Grimm/The Thing. I actually like Jamie Bell as an actor, but previously in other versions, both print and film, Ben Grimm, even before he becomes The Thing is portrayed as sporting some heft. And I don't think Jamie Bell has the bulk to portray Ben Grimm.

And I was wondering how they were going to explain the relationship between Sue and Johnny, as originally they were brother and sister, and it seems the explanation is that Sue is now the adopted sister of Johnny.
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 06:30:11 PM »

I have trouble with any story concept that includes 'an anti-social programmer known as "Doom" online' as the villain.

Would it be so hard to give Dr. Doom the respect he deserves as a world-threatening supervillain?

I predict that his will have disappointing returns, and the sequel will never be made.

Seriously, you know it's going to be bad when this happens:

"Mara said that she was supposed to read the Fantastic Four comic books for preparation. However, director Josh Trank suggested to her that it was unnecessary...."
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:43:29 AM by Ted C » Logged

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 09:36:27 PM »

I guess I am the only one who liked the 2005 version, and its sequel.
This one doesn't sound nearly as good.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »

They should do a slight re-imagining where their powers involve turning into anthro-animals.  They could call it The Fantastic Fur.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 01:06:31 AM »

No, you're not alone.  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 03:07:34 AM »

I have trouble with any story concept that includes 'an anti-social programmer known as "Doom" online' as the villain.

Would it be so hard to give Dr. Doom the respect he deserves as world-threatening supervillain?

Yeah, I'm rather worried about that.  But they completely changed the character of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 and it actually worked, and I'm almost as passionate about the character of the Mandarin as I am Dr. Doom.  Oh, my geekdom for a horse...

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 04:10:19 AM »

While the 2005 movie (and the follow up) weren't really my kind of super hero movie, I do have to admit I found them entertaining enough in a sort of just switch off Mr Brain and enjoy kind of way.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »

I can watch them without feeling like my soul is being sucked out, but I would definitely classify them as "Bad Movies" rather than "Good Movies".

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:47:18 AM »

But they completely changed the character of the Mandarin in Iron Man 3 and it actually worked, and I'm almost as passionate about the character of the Mandarin as I am Dr. Doom.  Oh, my geekdom for a horse...
The Mandarin was actually a sort of bait-and-switch villain. I actually think IM3 is the weakest of the Iron Man movies, largely because of the weak villain.

WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 05:50:28 PM »

The 2005 version had plenty of flaws, but it did somethings right.  The suit for the Thing looked pretty could.  Some of the scenes between the Thing and the Human Torch were fun and had that element from the comics.  Doctor Doom didn't look too bad for an adaptation, but I felt they left too much of the character in the comic books and didn't bring enough of him to the screne.

Rise of the Silver Surfur, I felt the same.  Plenty of flaws but stuff to like as well.  Although I can't get behind portraying Galactus as a puffy pink cloud made out of cotton candy.  I get what they were going for, more of a force of nature-but it didn't look good and he was defeated way too easily.

This does not look like a superhero movie.  This is Interstellar: with super powers.  That might not inherently be a problem.  After all, the Thor movies have a huge fantasy element to them, and Captain America is more war and spy movies.

I don't know if I'm going to see this one. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2015, 04:49:59 AM »

This does not look like a superhero movie.  This is Interstellar: with super powers.  

This.

The same guy who directed Chronicle is also directing this so I don't think it's going to be anything like the Marvel comic book.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 02:22:20 PM »

Not wishing back luck on the film or any of the people involved with it, but if the box office does not live up to expectations, there may be some chance that Marvel may regain some of the rights to the characters. Thus, as they have recently with Spiderman. Sony Columbia having exclusive film rights to the character Spiderman have sold some of those rights to Spiderman back to Marvel, and where Spiderman goes in making appearances in some of Marvel's upcoming films, the Fantastic 4 may follow.

Though, I will tell you what gets me with all this, is how cheaply Marvel sold off its iconic characters to various movie studios. I don't know how much they sold the film rights to the Fantastic Four for, but--apparently--they sold the exclusive film rights to Spiderman to Sony Columbia for only $7 million. Thus, one of the best things that ever happened to Marvel was that it got rid of its old s@@@ for brains management and got in new management who understood the value of what it had.
Archivist

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 11:54:14 PM »

And the new trailer is up!

Fantastic Four | Official Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

It's funny how the first trailer made it look like Interstellar, this one becomes another cool but slightly generic trailer.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Fantastic Four (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.