Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:39:21 AM
714351 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Carrie (2013) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Carrie (2013)  (Read 2578 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 03, 2015, 08:28:50 PM »

A 17ish girl named Carrie White has the unfortunate experience of having her first period in her high school shower.  Worse, she's been brought up by her religious nutjob of a mother, who never explained what her period was.  Consequently, Carrie thinks she's bleeding to death and runs screaming to some other girls for help.  Being teenage girls in a s**tty horror movie, they don't help her.  No ... they pelt her with tampons, video it on their phones, and post it all to Youtube.

The upshot of all this is that Carrie begins to manifest telekinetic powers.  Being a shy, awkward teenager, she puts these powers to the best imaginable use:  killing all those a***oles who ever made fun of her!

Carrie is a pretty literal remake of the 1976 movie.  Aside from the remake tossing in smart phones and Youtube, there's almost no difference.  I was hoping the remake would be more faithful to the Stephen King book, especially in the extent of Carrie's psycho-kinetic freakout at the end.  (In the book, she pretty much wipes out the whole town, not just her school.)  Alas, it was not to be.

Chloe Moretz does a pretty good job as Carrie White, probably equal to Sissy Spacek, with the caveat that Moretz is a bit too good looking to be as believable as Spacek in the role of the most awkward of awkward teenagers.  One undeniable improvement over the original is Julianne Moore as Carrie's mom.  Piper Laurie was awful in the 1976 movie, as though she simply refused to take her role and the movie seriously.  Moore has no such problem, turning in a performance that renders Carrie's mom as both victimizer and victim: a sympathetic monster.  She also has great screen chemistry with Moretz.  Their interactions are easily the best parts of the movie.

Otherwise, everything is the same as the old movie, except that remake director Kimberley Pierce wasn't out to make sleaze.  Brian de Palma had no qualms about making his Carrie (and most of his other movies) a high-gloss exercise in stylistic suck and as much sleaze as he could get away with in a major release, and he was damn proud of it.  Instead, Pierce seems to have tried to make an honestly good horror movie.  I suppose she did pretty well.  Unfortunately, all that effort was wasted on a movie about as pointless as Gus Van Sant's Psycho remake.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »

Thanks for the review.  This version looked like it had a lot of potential.  I wasn't really a fan of the original, though.  It looks like it benefits from modern cinematography and editing, as well as a change in tone from sleazy to straight horror.  It's funny how Josh Trank's Chronicle is essentially Carrie with friends, incidentally.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 09:30:25 AM »

I think Chloe Moretz did a better job.  Since she didn't look ugly she had to use her acting to show how much of an outcast she is.  I think it worked.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 07:29:52 PM »

I enjoyed all the performances in this one, personally.  A better movie than the original.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
claws
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 03:48:39 AM »

I think the remake didn't translate well into the 2010s. They should have given it a complete new overhaul. It didn't entirely suck but come on, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were both nominated for the Oscar for their performances. Chloë Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore were not. Just shows you how powerful the original was and still is.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 03:55:26 AM by claws » Logged
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 03:52:31 PM »

I think the remake didn't translate well into the 2010s. They should have given it a complete new overhaul. It didn't entirely suck but come on, Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie were both nominated for the Oscar for their performances. Chloë Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore were not. Just shows you how powerful the original was and still is.

or about the politics behind oscar nominations.  I'd take chloe over sissy anyday of the week in all meanings of the phrase.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Carrie (2013) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.