Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:42:07 AM
714311 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seventh Son (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Seventh Son (2015)  (Read 1655 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: February 08, 2015, 08:55:57 PM »

The end credits said that this was based on a book.  But it seems instead of being inspired by Tolkein, G.R.R.Martin or even C.S. Lewis, the author was more inspired by video games like Skyrim or Elder Scrolls.  This movie feels like a game adaptation, especially considering one of the movies villains is basically fights with the Blades of Ares from God of War.

Mother Malkin, an evil witch has escaped imprisonment and will become all powerful when the Blood Moon reaches its zenith.   Gregory, a drunken old knight finds a new apprentice with Tom, the 7th son of a 7th son(the only kind person who can join this knight's order) and tries to train him to stop the witch before she and her bad of minions start destroying everyone.

Tom soon encounters a young woman with connections to Malkin and soon his own connection to witches, as he tries to learn the way of the knights as well as question his devotion to them, as it calls for him to kill people who might not be as bad as his mentor would have him believe.

This is one of those movies, where I'm sure a lot of people figure out where the movie is going long before it gets there.

Special Effects:  Mostly CGI.  It helps with the scenes of people changing into different creatures as well as some of the more inhuman monster.  There is one particular practical effect: Gregory has a troll/orge servant that joins the two on the adventure.  The make-up and animatronic on him is pretty good.

Acting:  Gregory played by Jeff Bridges, is both mentor and comic relief for this picture.  There are a few times we are asked to question his sanity.  It sort of reminded me of the character he played in R.I.P.D, like Gregory belonged more in the old west instead of a medival fantasy.

Malkin played by Julianne Moore, plays this one somewhat campy as well.  Maybe campy isn't the right word-but her and Jeff Bridges play their respective roles with a bit of self awareness.

Other than that, no real stand outs.  The younger actors did a good but not great job.

Going into it with the right mind-set and this could be a fun popcorn movie. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2015, 06:11:35 PM »

During the opening one of the people I was with said, "Careful, man, there's a beverage here!" That is the kind of fun that I go to the movies for. This movie wasn't tough to figure out but I enjoyed seeing how the story was told, loved every creature in it, and got a kick out of Bridges as the "Spook". Thumbup

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Seventh Son (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.