Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:30:32 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Schwa-chan! Funny Commercials « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Schwa-chan! Funny Commercials  (Read 11309 times)
Squishy
« on: February 19, 2001, 08:51:00 AM »

No, I don't have a cold, that's what they call Arnold Schwartznegger in Japan. (Not in his presence, of course.)

Back in the early Nineties, Schwa-chan made a series of TV commercials in Japan in which he played a genie that whooshes out of a "health-drink" bottle, his hair moussed straight up, gold coins exploding out of his chest as he roars with scary, scary laughter.

I understand one or two websites actually had these commercials available, but were shut down by Schwartzneggerlegal.com.

Anybody know where I might find the things? He haunts my nightmares; I must face the demon-genie and end the torment.

(P.S. Lotsa sites now carry downloadable commercials, such as AdCritic.com, and you can keep the really funny ones [like the SuperFriends doing the "Wasssssup!" routine]. If you love the wresting AFLAC duck commercial--I almost lose bladder control every time I see the end of it--y'can peg that one at the AFLAC home site. [aflac.com, dur!])
Mighty Atomic Pikachu
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2001, 07:17:53 AM »

AIEeeeEEeeeEEE!!!! Thanks for bringing that up, Squishy. Now I'LL have nightmares about it.

Seriously, how did you happen to find these?

Oh, those crazy Japanese...
Squishy
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2001, 05:04:12 AM »

"AH, HA HA HA HA HA HA! AH, HA HA HA HA HA HA!"
--Schwa-chan, The Lipotan-V Genie

...he kinda looked like the "Slim Jim" meanie ("Eat me!!"), but was much more buff (of course) and less violent. The twist-off cap unscrewed, and out came Schwa-chan on a cloud, spraying twirling, superimposed coins, with his clenched fists raised triumphantly, laughing...laughing... He wasn't violent, but he was still damned scary. He flashed the "V-sign" at the camera, shouting "Dai-joh-V!!!" ("Daijohbu" is Japanese for "in good health.")

In other commercials, he was even gentle: in one, a little boy is sitting in the snowy slush next to a wrecked bicycle, sniffling over a scraped knee; a huge shadow falls over him. In the next shot, Schwartznegger (still in the Genie get-up, complete with mousse) is carrying him home, cradled in his arms, softly singing him a lullabye, the bike effortlessly hung over his shoulder. That's the whole thing. In another, the Genie soars through the sunset-reddened skies at high speed on his cloud, singing a Japanese love-song to the ninety-year-old lady he is embracing and kissing on the cheek.

So weird.

Then disaster struck. The commercials turned "normal." The genie got a girl sidekick, some pop-idol at the time I think, stood around talking about the product and the whole concept died horribly ON THE SPOT. I swear you could hear it crying for mercy as it bled to death.

I was stationed in Japan at the time. I was just watching a little local TV when this stuff leapt out at me, bellowing "AH, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!" I've never been quite the same since.

Would you?

(Lipotan-V, by the way, was just caffine and flavored water.)
peter johnson
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2001, 12:09:52 PM »

What's even odder about this is in England, SCHWA, is a trademarked insignia for parodiac (is that a word?) anti-Grey Alien merchandise.  Look on www.forteantimes.com & link to bluesnake merchandise.  Hell, go to bluesnake simply because it's damn weird --
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Schwa-chan! Funny Commercials « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.