Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:13:54 PM
714247 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Leonard Nimoy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: RIP Leonard Nimoy  (Read 10407 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« on: February 27, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »

https://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/leonard-nimoy-dies-at-83-171803235.html
I Am Not Spock proclaimed the title of Leonard Nimoy's 1975 autobiography, in which the veteran actor tried to distinguish himself from his most iconic role, as Star Trek's emotionless half-human, half-Vulcan science officer. Twenty years later, he published a follow-up entitled, I Am Spock, in which the actor-director warmly embraced his pointy-eared alter ego. Like it or not, Nimoy — who passed away on Feb. 27 at the age of 83 from end-stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease — was Spock to generations of sci-fi fans, so much so that when J.J. Abrams rebooted the franchise in the 2009 blockbuster, Nimoy was the one original cast member he made sure to bring back.

Even though the role defined his career for those of us watching him at home and in theaters, Spock was only one small part of Nimoy's overall life. An actor from childhood, the Boston-born Nimoy worked steadily on television before and after Star Trek, appearing on such disparate shows as Sea Hunt, Gunsmoke, Mission: Impossible and In Search Of…, a five-season series that explored the mysteries of the paranormal. In the '80s, he became an established film director, overseeing back-to-back big-screen Star Trek installments (The Search for Spock and The Voyage Home) followed by the 1987 hit, 3 Men and a Baby.

Nimoy parlayed his eye for the camera into a respected career as a photographer, snapping pictures that hung in galleries and were collected in books like The Full Body Project — a collection for which he shot nude photos of plus-sized and obese women. "The first time I had photographed a person of that size and shape, it was scary," he remarked in a 2007 NPR interview. "I didn't know quite how to treat this figure. And I think that's a reflection of something that's prevalent in our culture. I think, in general, we are sort of conditioned to see a different body type as acceptable and maybe look away when the other body type arrives. It led me to a new consciousness about the fact that so many people live in body types that are not the type that's being sold by fashion models."

That's the kind of eminently logical argument that Spock would make and speaks to how being involved in a progressive, socially-conscious series like Star Trek must have helped shape Nimoy's worldview going forward. One of the reasons the franchise has endured is that it imagines a future Earth free of prejudice and strife. Through his life and work on-screen and off, Nimoy sought to make that world of tomorrow possible today.

Live long and Prosper in the afterlife Mr. Nimoy.

yeah no.
316zombie
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 01:10:28 PM »

RIP....
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 05:45:10 PM »

RIP  Bluesad

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »

I feel like I've lost an hero... Bluesad R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy (thankfully he's left behind a great body of his work for us all to enjoy).

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »

Nonononono.  Bluesad
I grew up as a child loving the old Star  Trek show-every day after school-I turned on the tv to watch the Crew battle monsters,aliens and do so in an inteeligent fasion-they brought TV  ensamble sci fi out of the Commader Cody and Lost in Space kid stuff to an adult level.
I been on a binge the last couple weeks-watching every episode of TOS from first to last-I love you,Mr.Spock and I will miss you.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:43:12 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 06:52:28 PM »

I was a very young kid when the original series was in its first run, but my sister was a huge fan and I watched it every night with her, even if I didn't understand a lot of it at the time.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »

s**t-this is hitting me harder than I would have thought-I feel like I lost a best freind-almost a family member-he was in my house everyday as a kid-I dunno-like -I dunno. I guess people felt this way about Elvis or John Lennon.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »

I was barely five or six when the Star Trek re-runs were playing on TV in Australia, but Spock was the one character I remembered out of all of them.  It is surprising how we can form such an emotional connection to an actor famous for playing someone mostly emotionless and calm.  Around the same time, reruns of In Search Of... were also playing, so I got a double dose of Leonard Nimoy at a crucial formative age.

Seeing him in more recent shows like Fringe, and the Star Trek movies, was wonderful.

RIP Mr. Nimoy.  I'm sure the next journey will be even more grand than the last.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2015, 02:20:21 AM »

It is always a treat to see LEONARD NIMOY.  Good night our friend! 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2015, 04:58:15 AM »

As we say in Afrikaans: My hart is stukkend. [I'm broken-hearted]. RIP, Sir.  Bluesad Bluesad

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 02:09:39 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »

No. Nonononono.  Bluesad  He's not gone.  He'll always be here.

I'm like RC: I cannot believe how hard this is hitting me.  I'm crying over someone I have never met and knew only through his work.

RIP Mr Nimoy.  And thank you.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2015, 09:12:47 AM »

He created such an iconic character and was such a part of my childhood growing up watching Star Trek.  And watching In Search Of - that's Mr. Spock saying that stuff so it carries more weight than if Einstein said it.

You will be terribly missed Mr. Nimoy. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
major jay

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »

I wasn't a big Star Trek fan, but he was in so much more. Off hand I can think of "In Search Of" and THE BRAIN EATERS. RIP

SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »

The Sandlot said it best: "Heroes are remembered but legends never die." I'm really glad I wasn't around my dad or brother when the news hit, that would have been awful.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 02:12:03 AM »

I'm like RC: I cannot believe how hard this is hitting me.  I'm crying over someone I have never met and knew only through his work.

I tried to watch the last few minutes of Star Trek 3: The Search For Spock over the weekend - an uplifting ending, someone is restored to life - and told myself that I will not cry but I did anyway.  Bluesad

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Leonard Nimoy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.