Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:52 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DIGGING UP THE MARROW (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DIGGING UP THE MARROW (2014)  (Read 4630 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:58 PM »

This was a new release at my local Hastings this week, and I decided to give it a go because the title and synopsis made it sound very intriguing.  I'm glad I watched this movie - it is one of the most interesting and original film ideas I have seen in a long time.  It's a combination of mockumentary and found footage that takes a little while to get going, but once the story takes off, it completely sucks you in!

Adam Green plays himself: a successful horror film maker and TV personality who has been corresponding with a possibly deranged fan who informs him that not only are monsters real, but they live in a subterranean world directly below our own.  The fan, named William Dekker, tells Green that he has discovered a portal to the world of the monsters, which he calls The Marrow, near an old cemetery, and invites Adam and his cameraman to come and film his discoveries.

A little slow at first, but steadily mounting in horror and intensity, I enjoyed this horror film as much as anything I have seen since GRAVE ENCOUNTERS.  Seriously, guys, you NEED to see this movie!!! 5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »

I have heard great things about this one. I'm going to give it a go at some point this week.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »

1 members reviewed Digging Up the Marrow

Reviews voted most helpful

Horrible movie. I wish I could get back the 88 minutes I wasted on this ridiculous movie.

10 out of 18 members found this review helpful
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 05:00:21 PM »

It had a 6.0 rating on IMDB, and I would have rated it even higher.
Can't please everyone, I guess.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »

I qeued it. Netflix reviews are pretty useless since they took away the screen names. I have no idea what that person likes or doesn't like so their opinion is...useless
messedup
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »

Really liked it, but if I had to say one negative thing about it...casting a well known actor like Ray Wise for the role of Decker kinda destroyed the illusion of being somewhat real. I love the guy since Twin Peaks, but they should have considered someone unknown.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:05:53 PM »

That's the most valid criticism I have heard of the movie, but considering the overall quality, I was willing to suspend disbelief.

BTW, my daughters watched this one yesterday and it got so intense for them that they had to pause the DVD and catch their breath for awhile!  Then Rebecca loaned it to her boyfriend, and the first monster appearance startled him so badly he threw his phone across the room . . . . TeddyR

crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 06:58:34 AM »

Just watched it and I wasn't disappointed at all and completely agree about Ray Wise, but once I got round that, I was completely engrossed. Loved it.

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 11:24:34 PM »

I never watched Twin Peaks and didn't know who he was. I liked it quite a bit. Some of the monsters worked better for me than others. To make those drawings come to life in an actual movie was quite a challenge though I'm sure. I gave it a 4/5 I wanted the monsters to express their weirdness more and to enter their bizarre world
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »

I never watched Twin Peaks and didn't know who he was. I liked it quite a bit. Some of the monsters worked better for me than others. To make those drawings come to life in an actual movie was quite a challenge though I'm sure. I gave it a 4/5 I wanted the monsters to express their weirdness more and to enter their bizarre world

Yeah I would have liked to have seen the monsters a bit more and would have loved to have seen down the Marrow, but i guess they are leaving it up to our imagination, or a sequel haha

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 11:45:32 PM »

I watched this one again tonight and enjoyed it just as much the second time around.
The monsters are awesome, and the Bonus Features show how they transformed each one from drawing to real life.

Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 11:51:30 AM »

I had a problem with Ray Wise being in this movie, but in a different fashion.

I've enjoyed quite a bit of Adam Green's output these past few years. Well, actually just Frozen and the first Hatchet. That said, Adam Green should very definitely stay behind the camera.

Ray Wise is a fantastic actor. It's not a good idea to place someone as good as Wise across from somebody as horrible as Adam Green. Most of the movie is set as an on camera interview, and Green can't even manage listening quietly without coming across as an amateur actor.

It's an interesting conceit, and the monsters are fun (when you can see them), but I can't rate this highly. A side project at best, which is what it is.

2 out of 5.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
crackers
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:56 AM »

Just read this about the casting of Ray Wise:

Casting for Dekker was difficult for the filmmakers, because they were not sure whether they should use an unknown or a famous actor. Ultimately, they decided that it would be too distracting for audiences to suddenly be taken out of the film when real monsters were introduced. As a result, Wise was cast so that it would be obvious from the start that the film was not an attempted hoax. Though Wise's casting was initially controversial among people to whom Green showed a work print, they came around to his point of view when he explained the reasoning.

so I guess it makes sense now.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DIGGING UP THE MARROW (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.