Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:42:52 PM
714158 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Am I the only one that thinks Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is a good actor? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Am I the only one that thinks Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is a good actor?  (Read 11991 times)
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« on: March 31, 2015, 09:34:28 PM »

Yesterday I saw "Race to Witch Mountain [2009]" and once again I liked the Dwayne Douglas Johnson performance. I did not see all his movies, but all the time I see a movie with him I am positively impressed. I also remember positively another movie where he plays a football player that discover to have a daughter.

I really think he brings the perfect balance between "the tough man" and being humanly credible, not the usual "killing machine" vibe we get from other muscular actors. Like: "yes, he is superhuman. But he makes almost sense".

What do you think? Do you like "The Rock" as actor?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 08:41:45 AM by etmoviesb » Logged
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 06:59:38 AM »

I certainly don't mind him.  He's quite entertaining and has good stage presence.  He usually comes off as a nice guy but wasn't he sort of a villain in Doom?  Seems like he pulled that off really well too.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »

but wasn't he sort of a villain in Doom?  Seems like he pulled that off really well too.

He was the villain in that. Smile

I liked him as Chris Vaughn in the remake of Walking Tall: he seems to be a nice guy too.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:00:01 AM »

Doom movie was fairly bad, but the redeeming factors were The Rock and Urban pretty much...

It could be a superb movie with: more monsters (45 minutes of chasing shadows? Seriously?), better dialogues (overall for The Rock, his descent in the rage is really badly made...)
Ted C
Bad Movie Lover

Turn Up the Evil!

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 10:18:42 AM »

The Rock doesn't seem to be a half-bad actor. He still seems to be looking for his break-out role, though.

"Slugs?  He created slugs? I would have started with lasers, six o'clock, day one!" -- Evil, Time Bandits
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

He is not bad at all.  Granted he gets a lot of mileage from his Charisma, but he is pretty good.
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 04:49:04 PM »

He's actually pretty good.  He's set to play Black Adam in the upcoming Shazam movie.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 05:25:55 PM »

He's actually pretty good.  He's set to play Black Adam in the upcoming Shazam movie.
That's an excellent choice for Black Adam.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 05:56:19 PM »

I like Dwayne Johnson as an actor.  Always thought he was a bit under-utilized in some of the roles he's had.  He does quite well in the Football Xoach/Dad/Concerned Adult kind of roles in stories revolving around children. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »

He is an okay actor.  Although, I thought it was a major cinematic travesty to cast him in the Walking Tall remake.  I saw an interview where he said they changed the character's name from Buford to Chris because he couldn't imagine anyone calling him Buford.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 03:43:47 PM »

I think he's a great action star, almost kind of a throwback of sorts to similar 80s style stars. He does need a really great role though which I don't think we've got from him yet.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 10:03:30 PM »

I liked him in Doom, Walking Tall, The Rundown, The Other Guys,  Snitch and Hercules.

I think he is currently in his break out role as Hobbs in the Fast and Furious franchise, where his best work as been so far.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 09:34:11 PM »

Me, too.  After seeing him in Furious 7 (IMAX on opening day, babyyyyy!!!) I remarked on how far he had come in his entertainment career.  He's got loads of charisma and isn't the same character over and over again (koff Jason Statham koff).  Sure, he gets the 'big guy' roles simply because that is his drawcard, but I could imagine him in slightly more character driven roles like the recent Liam Neeson movies.

Interestingly, did anyone know that the Jet Li movie The One was originally written and intended for Dwayne Johnson?  There are tiny remnants of that notion in the dialogue, like where Jet Li's character talks about his wife being 'his centre'.  In the original concept, Dwayne Johnson's character had been a badass but gained stability when he met his wife.  There was no mention of this in The One, but it remained as a tiny bit of dialogue.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
claws
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2015, 02:50:58 AM »

He left an impression in Faster (2011), his most "serious" part to date. I also enjoyed his performance in Journey 2. He is certainly not in the "Tor Johnson Legacy League" for sure  TeddyR
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:56:51 PM »

The Rock doesn't seem to be a half-bad actor. He still seems to be looking for his break-out role, though.

Black Bolt in "Inhumans" in 2019.

No, wait . . . That's Vin Diesel.

The only problem I have with Dwayne, and that is more my problem than his, is I keep confusing him with Vin Diesel. Still . . .?!

While I consider him an actor of limited range, he'll never play Hamlet. (Now, there's a thought, Dwayne as Hamlet.) Given the right role, such as his Hercules in "Hercules," I do enjoy seeing him act. What he does have, that many actors do not, is what I call "screen presence." It's been 15 years, but I still remember his cameo as The Champion on "Star Trek : Voyager," and he is certainly not lacking for work, as he is booked thru 2019, with . . . as someone has said . . . his role as Black Adam in "Shazam!"
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Am I the only one that thinks Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is a good actor? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.