Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:01 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOLD (1974) - Trevor's input is required « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOLD (1974) - Trevor's input is required  (Read 3160 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:29 AM »

Well, this isn't an especially good movie, but it isn't terrible so I posted it in the "Good Movies" forum.

Roger Moore plays the general manager of a South African gold mine.  Executive Bradford Dillman and a group of investors concoct a plot to  flood the mine in order to increase the value of their investments in the gold market (of course, law enforcement and international investment regulators would never catch on to this).  In the meantime, Moore has an affair with Dillman's wife (Susannah York).  Ray Milland plays York's father and John Gielgud has a small role as one of the conspirators.  

This movie plays out like a cross between a TV network "movie of the week" and an Irwin Allen film.  Moore basically plays James Bond with a different name (in fact Peter Hunt of ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE fame directed it and John Glen was the Second Unit Director).  Ray Milland seems like he actually cares about this role (unlike some other movies he made in the twilight of his career).  Bradford Dillman is . . . well . . . Bradford Dillman.

This is part of the Mill Creek Hollywood Legends 50 Movie Pack.  So, for the price, it was worth watching.

Trevor . . . your input is required!

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:40:04 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:34:29 AM »

Truly terrible and nasty film with a horrible theme tune: one of several films made in SA approved by the then government to encourage international filmmaking here in the 1970s. The others were SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, TARGET OF AN ASSASSIN, THE WILD GEESE and KILLER FORCE.

Not my favourite SA made film at all.  Thumbdown
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:32:23 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »

Trevor, do you have the scoop on Killed or Be Killed (1977) and Kill and Kill Again (1981)?  I remember the crazy trailer for the latter, back in the early 80's.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:09:59 AM »

Both of those were directed by a good friend of mine and were box office hits internationally. KAKA (oops) was good fun.

Archivist

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 04:45:58 AM »

Both of those were directed by a good friend of mine and were box office hits internationally. KAKA (oops) was good fun.

YESSS!  Once again, badmovies.org puts us within six degrees of awesomeness.  It does not surprise me that the director is a good friend of yours.  If you happen to talk to him some time, let him know there are still people around the world who are watching those movies.   Thumbup

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 12:48:19 AM »

YESSS!  Once again, badmovies.org puts us within six degrees of awesomeness.  It does not surprise me that the director is a good friend of yours.  If you happen to talk to him some time, let him know there are still people around the world who are watching those movies.   Thumbup

Unfortunately Ivan Hall passed away in 2008.  Bluesad

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 03:54:59 PM »

Truly terrible and nasty film with a horrible theme tune: one of several films made in SA approved by the then government to encourage international filmmaking here in the 1970s. The others were SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, TARGET OF AN ASSASSIN, THE WILD GEESE and KILLER FORCE.

Not my favourite SA made film at all.  Thumbdown

Actually, if the other three are like "Shout at the Devil," which I also saw in the theater, they are all most or less "truly terrible and nasty."

Though, with "Gold," you might read the novel "Gold Mine," upon which the film is based. The author, Wilbur Smith, adapting his own novel for the screenplay. The novel, of course, going into more detail about everything. Much of which was left out of the film.
Archivist

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 06:27:15 AM »

Unfortunately Ivan Hall passed away in 2008.  Bluesad

Trevor, I'm sorry for your loss.  My condolences.   Bluesad

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:36:33 AM »

YESSS!  Once again, badmovies.org puts us within six degrees of awesomeness.  It does not surprise me that the director is a good friend of yours.  If you happen to talk to him some time, let him know there are still people around the world who are watching those movies.   Thumbup

Unfortunately Ivan Hall passed away in 2008.  Bluesad

Trevor, I'm sorry for your loss.  My condolences.   Bluesad

Thanks: Ivan was a nice guy and a talented filmmaker who could work in any genre. He even did an Anglo-Boer War film called Kruger Millions - it was a musical too.  Smile

« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:15:07 AM by Trevor » Logged

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  GOLD (1974) - Trevor's input is required « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.