Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:59:15 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I've been showing my friends Phantom of the Paradise (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I've been showing my friends Phantom of the Paradise (1974)  (Read 2625 times)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« on: April 09, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »

What began as a whim to view an old favorite of mine whilst stoned, has become a journey to introduce as many people as I can to the other horror-rock-musical of the 1970s. I'd already gotten my kid sister to watch it a while back, then got my girlfriend into it, she showed it to her mother, and after getting the disk back, I recently had one of my best friends see it with me. So far, I'm happy to say that I've been 3 for 4 in making some new phans  Thumbup .

Who else loves the hell out of POTP? What are Badmovies.org's favorite songs? And which of you here still have yet to see it? To those in the latter group, I simply have to say: it's tragic, often comic, and always extremely catchy. This film needs more people super (like you) to experience it. Trust me. Wink
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:43:40 PM by Doc Daneeka » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 06:59:21 AM »

I saw PotP in the theater way back when, and I own a copy of the DVD. I don't know if I can call it one of my all-time favorites, but I do enjoy it, and (for the record ) I've never been stoned in my life.

On a side note, there's an interesting documentary on Netflix (or maybe hulu) called Paul Williams Still Alive wherein the film maker discovers that Paul Williams is still alive and performing and tracks him down and films him for nearly a year (I think). It's an interesting look at the driving force behind the music for so many movies, including PotP.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:47:41 AM »

I like the movie a lot but I'm not especially a fan of the soundtrack. If I had to pick a favorite number it would be the Undeads, but that's for the staging, not the music itself.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 11:22:49 AM »

I saw PotP in the theater way back when, and I own a copy of the DVD. I don't know if I can call it one of my all-time favorites, but I do enjoy it, and (for the record ) I've never been stoned in my life.

On a side note, there's an interesting documentary on Netflix (or maybe hulu) called Paul Williams Still Alive wherein the film maker discovers that Paul Williams is still alive and performing and tracks him down and films him for nearly a year (I think). It's an interesting look at the driving force behind the music for so many movies, including PotP.
I've seen it high and sober, and the film is great either way. Being someone who's partaken in pot though, I've found watching movies with great direction or soundtracks to personally be very fun, and Phantom has both. And no slight against you for it not being one of your favorites, I can see why it wouldn't be for everyone. I remember I myself was sort of disappointed when I first watched it, way back when. Having heard only the basis premise, I was hoping Winslow would get to cause more mayhem rather than being the butt of Swan's schemes so often.

Thanks for the recommendation, too! I'm sharing a Netflix account with one of my pals, so no problems there.

I like the movie a lot but I'm not especially a fan of the soundtrack. If I had to pick a favorite number it would be the Undeads, but that's for the staging, not the music itself.
Huh. Maybe I should've linked to the clip in the first post then :p . I dunno, the songs were such an integral part of the experience for me, I can hardly imagine liking the film without 'em. But it's not too much of a stretch. As you know from the other thread, De Palma is one of my favorite directors, and the plot of POTP is the coolest take on "The Phantom as a wronged composer" that I know of.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:25:43 AM by Doc Daneeka » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:32 PM »

been getting into brian de palma's work lately but not seen this one, will make a note to check it out

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
pennywise37

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 10:36:06 PM »

my brother when i was in i think my teens turned me onto this great film. in fact he is i think friends with him i think he said? and one time he did meet him he got him to say a line from it. i forget which one.  i also have  a fan edit of it myself.

which has all the deleted scenes added back into the film. even the soundless scene where we see winslow i belive his name is? sorry if it isn't it's been awhile since i last watched it. i don't have the track list in front of me to say which one is my favorite though. sorry also check out sisters if you haven't seen that one. it has a WTF ending  to it.

but after i 1st saw it i went on the iMDB and was on their forum for the film. and more or less through talking thorough it with someone made me i think understand it better than  i 1st did. but that is still me guessing on what i had posted over there. i forget off hand what i  posted to be honest
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  I've been showing my friends Phantom of the Paradise (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.