Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:26:55 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Howling (1981) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Howling (1981)  (Read 3793 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 14, 2015, 03:31:27 AM »

I know most of you will go

when you read this but I saw it for the first time over the weekend - the reason here is that it was banned back in the day - and I enjoyed it, especially all the little in-jokes like Roger Corman making a phone call, Forry Ackerman in a book store, almost all the characters named after filmmakers and so forth.

Glad to have finally seen it. Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »

Facepalms 'r us, Trevor.  I saw this when I was a kid, and to this day had no idea about the in-jokes you just mentioned.  I'm going to (try to) watch it again and see!  Smile

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 07:51:38 AM »

Facepalms 'r us, Trevor.  I saw this when I was a kid, and to this day had no idea about the in-jokes you just mentioned.  I'm going to (try to) watch it again and see!  Smile

Erle C Kenton, Terry Fisher, Lew Landers, George Waggner and others.  TeddyR

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:12:12 AM »

only saw it for the first time about 6 or 7 yrs ago...

great counterpart to American Werewolf In London. played more for kicks, but equally entertaining. same special fx team did both films

dee wallace stone is hot in this  Thumbup

I love the scene where she's in the booth at the back of the jazz mag store

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 04:21:18 PM »

From someone who has never seen it nor any of its sequels, no one needs to apologize for anything, as I have never heard anything but "GOOD" for the original, as for the sequels . . .?!

Howling II : Your Sister is a Werewolf (1985)
The Marsupials : the Howling III (1987)
Howling IV : the Original Nightmare (1988) (video)
Howling V : the Rebirth (1989)
Howling VI : the Freaks (1991) (video)
Howling : New Moon Rising (1995) (video)
The Howling : Reborn (2011) (video)

There might be some apologies needed. Though, I enjoyed the line dancing and the old woman playing the spoons in New Moon Rising, from the clip I saw. Now, I expect to see line dancing and spoon playing in all my horror films. LOL!
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:42 AM »

Howling IV : the Original Nightmare (1988) (video)

Made in South Africa with the theme tune sung by Justin Hayward of The Moody BluesQuestion

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 07:40:37 AM »

I re-visited "The Howling" a year or so ago for the first time since I was a kid and not only had it held up pretty well, but I caught so many "in jokes" that I missed back in the day that it was like seeing the film for the first time.

I also had the misfortune of sitting through "Howling IV" recently as well, and whoooo, what a stink burger that was. I haven't seen all of the approximately seventeen thousand "Howling" sequels but none of the ones I have seen have been worth a spit.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
pennywise37

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:40:29 PM »

i loved this film as  a kid. but as adult i bought the dvd of it oh more than 10 years ago or so. and now i find it a rather boring film.and my thoughts of are now that i think it's a terrible film. though i do love the cast. and dee wallace honestly still is still hot at her age. she's now 66 or 67 now. but she still looks good. also you forgot dick millers' name in this as well.

Roger corman in a phone book is an injoke to the people who say that he can not only come up with an idea for a film but finance it with the change in the slot. or something along the lines of that.

i have seen them all but the one that came out a couple years back. the best one i think is the 3rd one. and the circus freak show one i also enjoyed the rest are crap. new moon is easily the worst one, i think that's the title ? it's i believe a shot on s**tteo fiim. i wish i had come up with that phrase but i got it from the site the cinema snob. and it fits i think on those terrible films that are clearly shot on a VHS camera.
akiratubo

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 11:03:18 PM »

I didn't like this movie.  It wasn't funny, or scary, or ... anything.  It had a good werewolf transformation but I've seen ones just as good in movies that were a lot more fun to watch, e.g., American Werewolf in London or Company of Wolves, for something roughly contemporary.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
pennywise37

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 12:01:23 AM »

American werewolf in london is the one that has the best transformation of all time. with kevin Yaeger doing it. he was i believe the one who created that and everyone after that took note and tried it their own way. i love the ending to the film. and the opening is good too. and the audio commtary that's on my disc is from the (1995) laser disc one.

with dee wallace's husband on it before he died. i think it was about a week later or 2 weeks later he died after that was recorded. anyways that is worth a listen too
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Howling (1981) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.