Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:54:55 PM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Stan Freberg « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: R.I.P. Stan Freberg  (Read 4766 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:24 PM »

Stan Freberg passed April 7, 2015.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/stan-freberg-comedian-and-radio-host-dead-at-88-1.3024276

"He's an American institution... His name has become embedded in our culture like Mark Twain's."
- Leonard Maltin, film historian

...After much success lampooning American pop culture, Freberg began to turn his attention in the late 1950s to advertising.

He quickly found the same kind of success that brought him a Grammy for 1961's The United States of America Vol. 1 and three Emmys for his work on the pioneering 1950s children's TV show It's Time for Beany.

He won nearly two dozen CLIO awards, advertising's equivalent of the Oscar, leading the industry publication Advertising Age to declare, "No one label fits Stan Freberg. But the father of the funny commercial seems a fitting epithet."

...For many of his TV commercials, Freberg persuaded celebrities to lampoon themselves.

In one for prunes, he had science-fiction author Ray Bradbury come on camera to deny he had ever predicted in his futuristic novels that one day everyone would be eating the product Freberg was pitching.

In another, he had television's original Lone Ranger, Clayton Moore, show up in costume to complain that a Freberg commercial for pizza rolls was using his theme song, The William Tell Overture.

"Man, I had a terrible time talking Clayton Moore into doing that," he recalled.

...Freberg eventually was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame, the Songwriters Hall of Fame and the Animation Hall of Fame.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 08:34:40 PM »

I'm aware he has such a long legacy in voicework but the thing I will always remember him for is Peter Puma.  "One lump or two?"  'EEEEEEEEEHHHH!!!  Three or fouuuuur!'
Rest in peace, funny man!

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 03:16:17 PM »

"Have a Lark! Have a Lark! Have a Lark today!"

The article is a little misleading. How the TV ad plays out, which I still remember vividly (I know. I'm weird.) Someone goes around the rooms, where a party is being held and asks the party goers  to show him or her their Jeno's Pizza Rolls. That mimics another TV ad of the same time, when a flatbed truck would drive around a city, with a man holding up a sign asking smokers who smoked Lark Cigarettes to show their packages of Lark Cigarettes, which they do. Then towards the end of the Jeno's Pizza Rolls TV ad, a man--supposedly--a Lark smoker pulls out--supposedly--his package of Lark Cigarettes and complains about Jeno's Pizza Rolls using Rossini's "William Tell Overture" (aka "The Lone Ranger Overture",) which is also used in the Larks Cigarette TV ad. That is when Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger and Jay Silverheels as Tonto show up. Not to complain about the Jeno's Pizza Rolls, which Tonto grabs for later, but for the Lone Ranger to complain about Lark Cigarettes using his theme Rossini's "William Tell Overture" to sell cigarettes on TV.

One of my favorite TV ads of all time, but . . . ?! What gob smacks me, is that Freberg voiced the Beaver in Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" from 1955. I hear that character, who whistled every time he said a word with the letter "S" in it, even as I type this, but . . .?! I did not know that was Freberg, till I read the article on his passing. And I thought every one who was in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" from 52 years ago, had passed on by last year, but . . . ?! apparently not, as Freberg, who had a cameo as a deputy sheriff in the film, only passed away this year.

He will be missed, especially by the world of advertising. R.I.P. Stan!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:49:43 AM »

s**t.

I'm a comedy nerd, and I don't think people know how funny Stan Freberg was.

Everybody's got to die, but this is a loss. R.I.P.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flangepart

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »

s**t.

I'm a comedy nerd, and I don't think people know how funny Stan Freberg was.

Everybody's got to die, but this is a loss. R.I.P.
NOW I find out! Yeesh...
The man who made commercials interesting. As he said on the Dr. Demento interview, "It's not the Holy Grail, for Ghods sake, it's just a pitted prune." Read his autobiography. His days in Ad land are a trip, to say the least.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 03:21:29 PM »

"Have a Lark! Have a Lark! Have a Lark today!"

The article is a little misleading. How the TV ad plays out, which I still remember vividly (I know. I'm weird.) Someone goes around the rooms, where a party is being held and asks the party goers  to show him or her their Jeno's Pizza Rolls. That mimics another TV ad of the same time, when a flatbed truck would drive around a city, with a man holding up a sign asking smokers who smoked Lark Cigarettes to show their packages of Lark Cigarettes, which they do. Then towards the end of the Jeno's Pizza Rolls TV ad, a man--supposedly--a Lark smoker pulls out--supposedly--his package of Lark Cigarettes and complains about Jeno's Pizza Rolls using Rossini's "William Tell Overture" (aka "The Lone Ranger Overture",) which is also used in the Larks Cigarette TV ad. That is when Clayton Moore as the Lone Ranger and Jay Silverheels as Tonto show up. Not to complain about the Jeno's Pizza Rolls, which Tonto grabs for later, but for the Lone Ranger to complain about Lark Cigarettes using his theme Rossini's "William Tell Overture" to sell cigarettes on TV.

One of my favorite TV ads of all time, but . . . ?! What gob smacks me, is that Freberg voiced the Beaver in Disney's "Lady and the Tramp" from 1955. I hear that character, who whistled every time he said a word with the letter "S" in it, even as I type this, but . . .?! I did not know that was Freberg, till I read the article on his passing. And I thought every one who was in "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" from 52 years ago, had passed on by last year, but . . . ?! apparently not, as Freberg, who had a cameo as a deputy sheriff in the film, only passed away this year.

He will be missed, especially by the world of advertising. R.I.P. Stan!

Small | Large

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Stan Freberg « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.