Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:41:23 PM
713356 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BABBADOOK (2014) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BABBADOOK (2014)  (Read 3059 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 16, 2015, 08:51:38 PM »

This was a wonderfully creepy little film about a young widow, raising her six year old son in Australia.
He is a hyperactive and rather bratty kid, but still very cute.  She is harried and exhausted, because he
does not sleep for fear of monsters under his bed.
Then one day she finds a book with a red cover on his book shelf that neither of them has ever seen before.
It is called MR. BABBADOOK.  The book is full of ominous, if not terrifying images, and the boy is squealing
in fear by the time it is done.  But the book is only the beginning.  First the boy, then his mum begin to catch
terrifying glimpses of the Babbadook in their home.  It reaches the point that the mother rips the book apart -
only to find it patched back together on her stoop the next day, with a terrifying final chapter added.
But as the story progresses, the viewer begins to wonder . . . does the Babbadook exist at all?  Or is the real
monster something much closer to home.

This was a solid effort, I'd give it a 4.2/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

Throughout the buildup, I found this to be one of the most chilling, effective horror films of the current decade... then the climax came, and I was suddenly reminded of a Lifetime original with more swear words. I think I got the subtext, and I'll admit that it worked for the story that had been established, but in terms of being a satisfying conclusion I found it to be very lazy and poorly-earned. The final scene was better, and perfectly balanced between happy and unnerving. Overall a very creepy, mostly consistent picture with one major flaw. 7.5/10. Would have been in the 8 range with a more original showdown.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 12:49:18 AM »

Not sure I agree with that.

This is a movie that confronts head on the phenomenon of post-partum depression.

I did see the movie in a crowded indie theater.

What I will say is that the line "If you touch my son again I'll f**king kill you!" is the most visceral thing I've seen in years.

Quite liked it.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 04:30:55 AM »

I'm always invested in good Australian movies so I'm biased but I enjoyed this one a lot. Much more gping on than the average production on a similar scale. But it ultimately tapped into my greatest fear; bratty screaming children.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 06:43:43 AM »

Watched this one last night, but had a lot of distractions going on at the same time. It seemed interesting enough to warrent a more careful viewing.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 12:02:01 PM »

I couldn't finish this movie. I really liked the idea of the babbadook entity but holy s*** was I waiting for a message about "evil vaccines" to pop up the entire time. I actually let out a breath of relief when something supernatural actually decided to show up. I feel like I wasted an hour on Autism: The Monster in You.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 06:00:36 AM »

Watched it and... I guess I'd say I found it interesting more than enjoyable. Glad I watched it, but I don't think it would be one I'd sit down and watch it again.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  BABBADOOK (2014) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.