Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:23:00 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cold-induced Triple Feature, or I Didn't Intend a Trend « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cold-induced Triple Feature, or I Didn't Intend a Trend  (Read 2809 times)
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« on: April 22, 2015, 02:36:04 AM »

Devil Times Five (1974)

A group of kids survive a vehicular crash in the mountains and make their way to a ritzy house where they brutalize a bunch of useless grown men and women who can't put down their drink or pettiness for two seconds to deal with the situation.

Wut? :v

The movie went by the weird title Peopletoys when it first ran in theaters and is possibly what you'd get if John Carpenter had directed Home Alone and was also terrible at his job; I was surprised that it wasn't made-for-TV. I don't know what was more annoying, the music score or the useless adults. The Evil ChildKids were each screwy enough to lend some entertainment value.

Doctor Tarr's Torture Dungeon (1973)

A reporter travels to a secluded asylum where an eccentric doctor treats his mad charges using unorthodox means. I don't remember a lot of the dialogue as my mind is stuck on the Chicken Man, the Room of WTF, and all the cackling. I'm going to have strange dreams tonight.

It's another case of "release under a different title" as this was originally The Mansion of Madness, though the title I got from Mill Creek was the deciding factor in whether or not it went in with my chicken noodle soup. The full title appeared to be "Edgar Allen Poe Doctor Tarr's Torture Dungeon" but I must not be familiar with this particular story that he wrote. that or the name was just pinned on. I can't decide if this movie is supposed to be a farce or if the musical composer was simply that inept but the overacting is phenomenal.

Virus (1980)

The military is stupid. HOW STUPID IS IT?! It's so stupid that it created a deadly virus meant for use as a biological weapon only to have it stolen and accidentally released, resulting in the death of pretty much everybody anywhere. Antarctica, though, the folks there are fine because at sub-zero temperatures the virus goes dormant.

Great. So what now?

Doing an IMDB information search for "virus" is an exercise in madness and I didn't even find this movie listed among the horde because it's yet another movie that isn't going by its original title. This time it's Fukkatsu no hi aka Day of Resurrection. After watching the film, this title's meaning is lost on me. It's all very grim and intended to make you hope for a better future in the real world but all I think is, "We're dumb enough to pull this stuff now, much less in the 80's!"

In all, these movies all shared awful music to one degree or another. I'm also now of the opinion that 1970's singer-song writer tunes do not belong in science fiction movies. My cold also doesn't feel any better but at least I passed a lot of time.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 06:45:48 AM »

'70s B horror movies always tend to be very weird and not in a good way, and for the most part pretty dull  Smile

Virus sounds kind of interesting, I think I've seen 2 other movies by that name lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 04:34:00 PM »

Of the three, Virus was the most enjoyable for its tone. It's Cold War-era played totally straight and takes into account several social issues that a small group of survivors would most certainly face in the real world. I also just plain like its story structure although there could have been a little more emphasis on the hardships of having to live in Antarctica. You don't see people dealing with food cultivation or having to stay warm. That might not have been the point but it would have been interesting to see referenced. At least nobody fights a polar bear. BounceGiggle

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »

I liked Devil Times 5 just cuz the kids were so evil
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 04:49:47 PM »

Virus...there could have been a little more emphasis on the hardships of having to live in Antarctica. You don't see people dealing with food cultivation or having to stay warm. That might not have been the point but it would have been interesting to see referenced. At least nobody fights a polar bear. BounceGiggle

Yes; be thankful there were no polar bears.   Lookingup   But I bet it could have been improved with a few marauding mutant penguins.  Have you seen them 'fly' through the water?  Little torpedoes.  Thousands of them.  It could be Sharknado crossed with Piranha.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 05:09:39 PM »

Man, the adults totally got what they deserved in DEVIL TIMES FIVE.  Totally annoying, and clueless about the goings-on; though perhaps if they figured it out sooner the running time would be pretty short.  Should be remade someday with smarter adults, or one of the kids turns good, or some sort of interesting twist.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
voltron

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »

Devil Times Five has been on my "to see" list for a while now. 70s + TV movie vibe? Count me in dude. (see: The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane, Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark, Let's Scare Jessica To Death etc etc etc.....)

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:17:04 PM »

But I bet it could have been improved with a few marauding mutant penguins.  Have you seen them 'fly' through the water?  Little torpedoes.  Thousands of them.  It could be Sharknado crossed with Piranha.

Piranguin Torpenguins

Man, the adults totally got what they deserved in DEVIL TIMES FIVE.  Totally annoying, and clueless about the goings-on; though perhaps if they figured it out sooner the running time would be pretty short.

The bald guy with the glasses and his drunk wife especially.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cold-induced Triple Feature, or I Didn't Intend a Trend « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.