Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:38:13 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  EX MACHINA (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: EX MACHINA (2015)  (Read 4444 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: May 06, 2015, 09:16:06 AM »

Thought this deserved its own post since we have some hard sci-fi fans here.

My mini-review: Caleb, a programmer at a infotech company modeled after Google, wins a contest to spend a week with the company's eccentric genius founder at his isolated compound; when he arrives he learns that he has been chosen to help test his new robot to determine whether it possesses true consciousness. Artificial intelligence is the new science fiction frontier; thoughtful yet thrilling, EX MACHINA provides tense, mystery-based competition to 2013's melancholy romance HER as the best recent example of the genre. 4.5/5.

*I am very stingy in giving out 5/5's, reserving them for true classics that stand the test of time, maybe one or two movies a year. I almost never award a movie 5/5 on a single viewing or without thinking on it for a while. That said, I suspect may upgrade this to 5/5 by the year's end.
*The acting here is universally great, but Oscar Isaac's Nathan is the best. He oozes arrogance and insincerity from every pore and you're never sure how far you can trust him. The fact that he builds his robots as hot women is somewhat disturbing.
*Alicia Vikander is hot as hell and more importantly does a great job showing just a flicker of emotion to keep you guessing whether she really has feelings or not.
*The twists are well-done, not too overplayed but not too easy to guess.
*I wasn't sure about the ending at first but I left the theater thinking about exactly the issues the writer wanted, which means it was a success.
*I want to live in Nathan's compound. Looks like it must cover several square miles in Alaska and was designed by Stanley Kubrick's ghost.

Ex Machina - Official Trailer (2015) [HD]

I don't think the trailer does it justice. Recommended for true sci-fi fans. No special effects to speak of, so I think it will probably translate well to the small screen if you can't get out to see it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:20:28 AM by Rev. Powell » Logged

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 11:01:41 AM »

Thanks for this review.

We really like "thinker" sci fi, and unfortunately find them harder find these days.  Even harder, however, is finding them not Rated R.

I looked at the imdb "Parent's Guide" page, and note that the R rating seems mostly for f-bombs. 

Aggravating nonsense aside (for the makers thinking they have to include this to make a movie interesting), other than language, would you say it's a soft-R or hard-R?

How would it compare to, say THE MATRIX, for viewing by young people? My children really dug THE MATRIX and they also like the first two TERMINATOR movies for reference on the "violence" and "disturbing" categories.  The TERMINATOR movies got a little high on the disturbing meter a few times, but overall (and with time) they've been okay.

As I said, we like "thinker" movies quite a bit.  If the deeper aspects outweigh the other (sensationalist aspects), we might give it a go.  It looks very interesting.  We've watched quite a few AI documentaries recently, so it would be cool to compare that to the fictional, speculative take.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »

Thanks for this review.

We really like "thinker" sci fi, and unfortunately find them harder find these days.  Even harder, however, is finding them not Rated R.

I looked at the imdb "Parent's Guide" page, and note that the R rating seems mostly for f-bombs. 

Aggravating nonsense aside (for the makers thinking they have to include this to make a movie interesting), other than language, would you say it's a soft-R or hard-R?

How would it compare to, say THE MATRIX, for viewing by young people? My children really dug THE MATRIX and they also like the first two TERMINATOR movies for reference on the "violence" and "disturbing" categories.  The TERMINATOR movies got a little high on the disturbing meter a few times, but overall (and with time) they've been okay.

As I said, we like "thinker" movies quite a bit.  If the deeper aspects outweigh the other (sensationalist aspects), we might give it a go.  It looks very interesting.  We've watched quite a few AI documentaries recently, so it would be cool to compare that to the fictional, speculative take.

There is a lot of female robot nudity, and a little bloody violence at the end. I wouldn't say the language was really very bad (at least I didn't notice it). There is a lot of drinking (Nathan is a functional alcoholic), which didn't used to be a factor in rating a movie but seems to be these days. I'd say "mid-R" rather than "soft" or "hard" R.

ulthar

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 12:33:50 PM »

There is a lot of female robot nudity, and a little bloody violence at the end. I wouldn't say the language was really very bad (at least I didn't notice it). There is a lot of drinking (Nathan is a functional alcoholic), which didn't used to be a factor in rating a movie but seems to be these days. I'd say "mid-R" rather than "soft" or "hard" R.

Cool.  Thanks.  We'll have to watch for it to come to Amazon Instant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--Real Genius
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 12:38:58 PM »

I've never had such a powerful emotional response to a science fiction movie before. It starts out intriguing and smart, starts to make you uneasy in subtle ways, then punches you in the gut over and over. The last 20 minutes were both horrific and hypnotic, it was really something else. Wow, who thought you could do body-horror with robots?

The little details of the robotics, such as Ava not exhaling when she speaks or having any rise and fall to her shoulders, along with the gender-neutral walking stride and sounds of the motors and actuators working as she moved, really give the performance life. (ha-ha)

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 06:02:21 PM »

Gonna have to check this one out.

If only to see what "female robot nudity" means.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2015, 06:13:54 PM »

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 10:15:08 PM »

This was a brilliant science fiction film!  It would make a great double feature with CHAPPIE.
Both make you think hard about what it means to be human. 
The acting was top notch and the storyline was carefully drawn.
The end was truly awesome!  5/5

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 04:46:27 AM »

Buggedout TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
basalt
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 07:41:09 AM »

Watched this with coffee in the morning and was captivated straight away. Beautiful story and great FX. One of those films you think about long after watching it. Bravo 8/10
ulthar

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »

Finally got around to seeing this.

I loved it: the story and execution both.

Saw a lot of parallels with BLADE RUNNER, of course, and even dug the BR quotes in there when Ava was questioning Caleb.

Read some reviews and suchlike after watching where people did not like the ending.  I have to ask "Why?"  I loved it, and thought it was the perfect ending for THIS film.  Anything else would have been a cop-out and lazy.  And, nowhere NEAR as hard hitting and thought provoking.

Pace wise it was a bit slow (not a problem for me, but the 10 year old likes his movies more actioney) and the overuse of the f word was a distraction.  My children spent too much effort counting them rather and thus being taken out of the movie.  What a shame. The language adds nothing to the story; I got Nathan was "edgy" from his other characterizations.

***POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW***

I loved how unemotional expression Ava had when stabbing Nathan...it was surreal.  It was not a typical movie psycho unemotional.  It was...nothing.  It was almost like she was looking at him thinking about turning him off or something.  Man, what a great acting job there.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  EX MACHINA (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.