Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:11:24 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Jurassic World (2015) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Jurassic World (2015)  (Read 8205 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: June 13, 2015, 11:47:12 AM »

Saw this last night, and for the most part it was a good fun movie.  I liked it.  It felt a little more like Jurassic Park III than the original because most of the movie feels like a fun monster on a island creature feature.

I'm going to discuss some spoilers below and I'm sure some other people will as well so consider yourself warned.

For starters, Jurassic World is a soft reboot of the series.  The first movie still occurred but The Lost World and Jurassic Park III are ignored.  In Godzilla terms, think of this as the start of the Heisei Jurassic Park time line.

Zach and Gray are going to Jurassic World, the theme park that is the successful version of the original park which after the events of the first movie, InGen was able to get it under control.  They have a plethora of new dinosaurs, rides, attractions and so forth.  The boys' aunt Clarie (Bryce Dallas Howard) is the new head of the park and is discussing that while the park is still attaching large crowds its not enough to off set the costs of the park and that people aren't interested in the dinosaurs as they once were.  So she's trying to increase attendance with a new attraction- a dino hybrid. Indominus Rex.   

And can I say for a minute that I feel bad for the people of Jurassic World.  Imagine a world so cynical that seeing live dinosaurs isn't enough.

Also in the park is Owen (Chris Pratt) a former navy officer turned into what can be best described as  "dinosaur trainer".  He's trying to get the park's raptor population to respond to him as the alpha of the pack.  Hoskins (Vincent D'Onofrio) an InGen higher-up is more interested in seeing if the raptors can be trained for more military purposes.

And if you've seen the commercials for this movie, you know the next part.  The Indominus Rex escapes its paddock thanks to its super powers (more on that in a minute), causes havoc, Zach and Gray get lost in the park, so Claire and Owen try to get them safe while Hoskins has plenty of his own plans.

Major Plot points and Spoiler Below
We learn that the Indominus Rex wasn't just made to boast sales but is actually a proto-type bio weapon.  It has amazing abilities like the ability to hide its heat signature. Can change color and skin texture due it an inclusion of cuttle fish DNA, and is abnormally intelligent because of what two dinosaurs its a hybrid of.  (Honestly-I was able to guess which two in the first time somebody was being coy about it.)

This story part seems to set up where the eventual sequels will go.  I'm sure the phrase Jurassic Cinematic Universe has been mentioned at some point in development.

Also the much advertised Chris Pratt leading a pack of Raptors on the hunt takes up much less screen time then one might expect
End Spoilers...for now

The acting was pretty good from most of the main cast.  Not really going to say anyone really stood out, but I didn't really hate anyone's performance.

The special effects are somewhat of a mixed bag.  Some of the CGI is still up there with the original and looks, but on some of the other parts it looks worse.  Example:  for some reason the Gallamimus look worse in this movie then in the original.  Also there's a lot less practical effects in this. (As is to be expected these day)  There was only one I think I could identify as an animatronic.

They story is what it is.  Its a fun big budget monster movie and sets up where this new take on the franchise is going. And there are plenty of times it plays with the nostalgia grabs for the first movie.

But yeah, I liked it.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:53:18 AM »

Do dinosaurs have feathers?
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:14:18 PM »

I watched this with my daughter this afternoon and loved it!  Effects were great and dinosaur mayhem was awesome.  I still can't believe (major spoiler)

(Seriously, huge spoiler ahead!!)

(Read further at your own risk!)

I still can't believe the T-Rex killed Dumbledore! TeddyR

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:00:59 PM »

****major spoiler****

The three way battle at the end is the best monster combat in decades!  Put Pathetic Rim and even Godzilla 2014 to shame.   Let this guy direct the next Godzilla!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:21:39 PM »

I'll give you that the final battle was better then Godzilla, but I wouldn't say it was better than Pacific Rim

And no-the dinosaurs don't have feathers.  Dr Henry Wu (played by B.D. Wong-the only returning human character from the first movie) actually says a line pointing out that they've never had 100% accurate dinosaurs. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:30:38 PM »

And no-the dinosaurs don't have feathers.  Dr Henry Wu (played by B.D. Wong-the only returning human character from the first movie) actually says a line pointing out that they've never had 100% accurate dinosaurs. 

It is a pity that the movie does not portray the dinosaurs are correctly as known, but acknowledge it with a line is indeed a nice idea.
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »

Saw it again!  Just as good the second time!

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 05:48:52 PM »

I found it to be very entertaining.  But it also made me wonder how many times they intend to make the same movie.  It doesn't matter, I suppose, because I'll probably go to see as many sequels and reboots as they can produce.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 12:51:03 PM »

I dunno if nostalgia is stopping me from liking this, "in my day we had to get crushed in jeeps in the rain and dirt, not get kicked around in glass footballs". My first impression was wow family movies haven't changed that much.. I was also thinking this..

And can I say for a minute that I feel bad for the people of Jurassic World.  Imagine a world so cynical that seeing live dinosaurs isn't enough

But then again I guess chronologically there's not too many ways of avoiding this. You know what we should have had instead, another time travel movie where they ended up running away from dinosaurs (not sure how you can really link that LOL). It really made me wonder about how much I liked the original in general. All this aside I think the pacing of the movie was right, good action sequences and solid but as Winged said, not any standout performances.

dean

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 07:37:39 PM »

Whilst I enjoyed the movie [hey dinosaurs!] I read this article the other day which probably best sums up my annoyance over a few elements in it.

http://fusion.net/story/150874/jurassic-park-is-100-times-more-feminist-than-jurassic-world/

I mean, come on team, lets not forget that good story which involves actual character development can exist instead of being abused for simple laughs...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
basalt
New Visitor

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:43 AM »

After reading the review of users about this movie i am also going to watch this movie. Hope i will also like this movie too
Kooshmeister
The King of Koosh!
Bad Movie Lover

Must have caffeine...

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »

Saw it, which is unusual for me, as I so very rarely get to the theaters these days, but I loved it a lot. It was definitely the sequel we should've gotten years ago.
akiratubo

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

Whilst I enjoyed the movie [hey dinosaurs!] I read this article the other day which probably best sums up my annoyance over a few elements in it.

http://fusion.net/story/150874/jurassic-park-is-100-times-more-feminist-than-jurassic-world/

I mean, come on team, lets not forget that good story which involves actual character development can exist instead of being abused for simple laughs...

The only characters that matter in a JP film are the dinos.  I LOVED that none of the characters' plotlines were resolved.  This wasn't Humans: The Movie (featuring cameos by dinosaurs), this was JURASSIC WORLD (where dinosaurs fight and humans don't matter).

dean

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 12:53:34 AM »

The only characters that matter in a JP film are the dinos.  I LOVED that none of the characters' plotlines were resolved.  This wasn't Humans: The Movie (featuring cameos by dinosaurs), this was JURASSIC WORLD (where dinosaurs fight and humans don't matter).

You can do that and still have non-sexist, non-crap characters. I mean Bryce Dallas Howard's character runs the place, actually gets the T-Rex in the mix and yet is treated like a ditzy single lady? Come on... I think for the most part they were going for 'charming and funny' when they made those gags but I just found those aspects tiresome. But it's dinosaurs! So it's a pass mark as far as exciting movies go, just do better next time Hollywood.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 08:52:34 PM »

It was an okay movie. The dinosaurs weren't bad, but I felt that the CG in the first movie was much more impressive. Some of the characters kinda p**sed me off in the sense that I found the acting irritating and tiresome in some spots, specifically when the film tried to be quirky, funny and suspenseful. Honestly, some of the humor sounded like it was written for 9gag fiends, like it was trying real hard to appeal to the current sense of humor of my generation and the generations proceeding. It was also extremely easy to spot who was gonna get chomped, even moreso than slasher fodder. There were even moments where I felt like I was watching a SyFy movie with a huge budget. All those aside, the final battle (somewhat) made up for it all.

One thing that did really bother me: considering I was a much heavier guy in the past (I've lost a crap ton of weight recently), I was kind of upset/offended when the fatter background characters were depicted as lazy and stupid. Plus the fact that the villain had a gut while the heroes were fit/slim made me feel like the film was (likely unintentionally) sending a message that bigger folk are idiots or just plain bad people. Coming from a former big guy, this did fire up old memories of being put down/rejected because of how I looked and how I shamed and hated myself because of what I looked like. Probably just me, but those elements were very off-putting.   
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Jurassic World (2015) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.