Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:44:15 AM
714358 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Boris or Bela? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Boris or Bela?  (Read 5754 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« on: June 14, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

Ok-everyone who's been on this forum for a while knows I love Lugosi movies-but who do you prefer
Lugosi or Karloff?
Certainly Karloff got the better roles in later life-and he was a great actor-I dont think Lugosi could have brought the empathy and pathos that Karloff gave to the Monster-Lugosi's forte was being just plain evil-he could do pathos-as in the BLACK CAT(1934),the PHANTOM SHIP (1939) and such-but Karloff-even his mad doctor roles-you sympathized with him-Lugosi-even when his murderous madness was somewhat justified-kinda-like in the DEVIL BAT(1942) took glee in his madness-he relished it-"YES! I like to torture!"-the RAVEN (1934). Thats why I like Bela-he took really awful pictures and gave a full blooded (no pun intended) performancce to every thing he did. The nuance he brought to DRACULA was nowhere to be seen in his hammy overblown acting in the PHANTOM CREEPS (1939)-but that serial needed overblown melodramatics-it was a serial meant for kids-fast paced and overblown-like a cartoon-and he made it fun.
And the same year he stole the show from Karloff in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »

Boris beats Bela... sorry.

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:21:57 AM »

I vote for Bela Lugosi.

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
major jay

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »

I'm on the fence with this one.
But I do think Karloff could play an evil role just as well as Bela. For example, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU or THE BLACK CAT.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 04:20:38 PM »

Boris is probably the better actor but Bela was a better showman. Seeing either of them in a film increases my interest in said film.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 11:36:33 PM »

Ok-everyone who's been on this forum for a while knows I love Lugosi movies-but who do you prefer
Lugosi or Karloff?
Certainly Karloff got the better roles in later life-and he was a great actor-I dont think Lugosi could have brought the empathy and pathos that Karloff gave to the Monster-Lugosi's forte was being just plain evil-he could do pathos-as in the BLACK CAT(1934),the PHANTOM SHIP (1939) and such-but Karloff-even his mad doctor roles-you sympathized with him-Lugosi-even when his murderous madness was somewhat justified-kinda-like in the DEVIL BAT(1942) took glee in his madness-he relished it-"YES! I like to torture!"-the RAVEN (1934). Thats why I like Bela-he took really awful pictures and gave a full blooded (no pun intended) performancce to every thing he did. The nuance he brought to DRACULA was nowhere to be seen in his hammy overblown acting in the PHANTOM CREEPS (1939)-but that serial needed overblown melodramatics-it was a serial meant for kids-fast paced and overblown-like a cartoon-and he made it fun.
And the same year he stole the show from Karloff in SON OF FRANKENSTEIN.
http://youtu.be/h0UY7irdFgw

Don't dismiss your idol's performance in THE BLACK CAT too quickly.  It illustrates BELA LUGOSI's range, which was under used.  DRACULA was great (not really) but typecast him.  BORIS KARLOFF got parts that BELA, accented, did not. 

BORIS KARLOFF

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
akiratubo

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:38 PM »

Why choose?  I like 'em both!  I suppose if pressed, I'd have to go with Bela.  I've watched plenty of movies I knew would be horribly s**tty simply because Bela was in them.  I haven't done so for Boris.

I think it has do with Boris being more of a conventionally "good" actor than Bela.  There never was, nor will there ever be again, anything like Bela.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
dean

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 02:10:43 AM »

Watched more with Bela. Like Boris, but Bela wins for me.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 03:14:52 AM »

It have to vote for Bela, although I like both.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 08:55:13 AM »

Hard choice, but for me it has to be Boris.  I'm just fond of him, I guess. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
major jay

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:58:08 AM »

I've watched plenty of movies I knew would be horribly s**tty simply because Bela was in them.  I haven't done so for Boris.
I haven't seen any of Boris's Mexican output, but I'm thinking it stinks just as bad as anything Bela let loose during his career.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2015, 05:32:32 PM »

I've watched plenty of movies I knew would be horribly s**tty simply because Bela was in them.  I haven't done so for Boris.
I haven't seen any of Boris's Mexican output, but I'm thinking it stinks just as bad as anything Bela let loose during his career.

Then sir, you are indeed fortunate. I've had the misfortune of watching Boris' 2nd to last film "Isle of the Snake People." Memorable for all the wrong reasons.

As to whether I prefer Boris or Bela, that's the same as asking me whether I like Chris or Pete the best. I like both pairings equally, since they complemented each other so well. Where, Pete, even at his worst always came across as warm and likable, Chris, even at his best, came across as cool and unlikable. The same could be said for Boris and Bela. Boris being the warm and likable one, and Bela being the cool and unlikable one. (IMHO)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 05:28:47 AM »

Then sir, you are indeed fortunate. I've had the misfortune of watching Boris' 2nd to last film "Isle of the Snake People." Memorable for all the wrong reasons.

As to whether I prefer Boris or Bela, that's the same as asking me whether I like Chris or Pete the best. I like both pairings equally, since they complemented each other so well. Where, Pete, even at his worst always came across as warm and likable, Chris, even at his best, came across as cool and unlikable. The same could be said for Boris and Bela. Boris being the warm and likable one, and Bela being the cool and unlikable one. (IMHO)

Ahh-as Hallows said-check out the BLACK CAT (1934)
Boris is the evil one-Bela is the (twisted!) hero!
In life-I float to Bela-he was an addict-so am I-I can relate.

One of the best horror scenes EVER-I still gives me the creepers-

https://youtu.be/7C9fBMnSuE0

edit-how did I f**k that one up-I dunno-but I managed....

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »

Ahh-as Hallows said-check out the BLACK CAT (1934)
Boris is the evil one-Bela is the (twisted!) hero!
In life-I float to Bela-he was an addict-so am I-I can relate.

One of the best horror scenes EVER-I still gives me the creepers-

https://youtu.be/7C9fBMnSuE0

edit-how did I f**k that one up-I dunno-but I managed....

Small | Large

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
telegonus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2015, 04:37:13 AM »

I like both Boris and Bel. If I tend to be be more favorably inclined to the Great Karloff it's as much as matter of his living longer than Lugosi, being in better health longer, and having English as his first language. Every little bit helps. Bela was cursed by a huge ego, poor career choices, a more flamboyant style,--when running on all cycliners--in other words, he was the more theatrical of the two. Karloff really mastered the art  of acting for the csmera. Sad to say, Lugosi never did. He was a fine actor, though, but a totallly different type from the more versatile and physical Karloff.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Boris or Bela? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.