Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:29:41 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Does this supposed lost film even exist? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Does this supposed lost film even exist?  (Read 7753 times)
Gene Worm
A Guru of Rubber Monsters, and a
Bad Movie Lover

Rubber Monsters > CGI Monsters

« on: June 14, 2015, 12:30:58 PM »

I'm not quite sure if this is the correct place to put this, but I am having trouble finding it, even on Google. In an old magazine that I used to have, there was a supposedly lost, black and white North Korean film (it isn't "Space Monster Wangmagwi", that was in South Korea. And it isn't "Yonggary: Monster of the Deep" which was in color and was in South Korea as well.) that was titled "Reptoid Man". That's the reason I question what topic this should be, because I know the title. But looking on Google, I seem to get nothing. So, does this film even exist?

Now, I easily could have gotten the title wrong, but I'm pretty sure that was it. It was supposedly made in either the early 60s or the mid-to-late 50s. I forgotten (if it had even told me) what the plot exactly was, but it shown a picture of the monster that happened to look just like "Titanosaurus", a monster from the Godzilla film by Toho, "Terror of Mechagodzilla". That's another reason I'm questioning this film's existence since I'm almost positive that the two suits were identical.

I would love it if I could get help on this one. My current research is going nowhere. I'm beginning to feel like the whole thing is a hoax.

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 05:48:32 PM »

I've never heard of this film myself, but that isn't saying anything.  I looked through the IMDb's (short) list of films made in North Korea, but I saw nothing that looked like your film.  (Of course, most of the films listed don't have any descriptions or other details, so it's hard to tell.)

Why don't you try looking at the list yourself?

IMDb's list of films made in North Korea.

P.S. About 1/4 of the films don't even have a year of production; those films are listed last when sorted in chronological order.

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 07:21:35 PM »

Thanks for the link! I looked in there quite a bit and I haven't found anything related to it, yet. Still looking, though so I may find something. And the only thing I get when I search for a North Korean monster movie, I get "Pulgasari", which I've seen myself and that isn't it. I even got desperate once, and tried to copy and paste what Google Translate thought the title would be in Korean, and got nothing. But then again, Google Translate translates literally, and isn't always very precise.

Thanks again for your help, I'll try and explore that list further and hopefully we can all solve what this film is/if it exists.  Cheers

"Listen, you've got to get down below. There's something coming through, and it's the nastiest looking thing yet! Some of your buddies went down there a while ago, and I haven't seen them since."
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 06:18:44 AM »

It DOES exist-but you cant see it-its never been released-and is NOT lost-but we are still hoping-

http://flawediamonds.blogspot.com/2013/12/space-monster-wangmagwi-easily.html

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 09:36:35 PM »

It DOES exist-but you cant see it-its never been released-and is NOT lost-but we are still hoping-

(link that I had to edit out, because the site does not allow links to be posted on my end for unknown reason)

Good find, but I mentioned that one in the topic. It isn't this film, "Space Monster Wangmagwi" (AKA "Big Monster Wangmagwi" or "Ujugoe-in Wangmagwi"). The one I'm mentioning was in North Korea (Wangmagwi is South Korean) and the monsters looked quite different. I've been looking for a link or anything that I could find to any images or a blog of this "Reptoid Man" for a long while, and I haven't found anything it.

AlbertMond
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:33:21 PM »

What sort of magazine was it?

This is a really interesting topic. There are a lot of films from around then like that that have gotten little or no attention in the west, to the point that some of them are severely lacking (or invisible) in internet-age documentation.
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 03:23:08 PM »

What sort of magazine was it?

This is a really interesting topic. There are a lot of films from around then like that that have gotten little or no attention in the west, to the point that some of them are severely lacking (or invisible) in internet-age documentation.

It was some sort of creature-feature-ish magazine. I thought I still had it, and thought about creating a photo but I can't find it. I think (not sure) it also talked about "Godzilla vs. Mothra", "The Monster that Challenged the World", and "Creature of the Black Lagoon". But it has been so long, I can't recall.

AlbertMond
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »

If you looked at a list of names of some of those mags, do you think you could get a good idea of which it was?
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 09:47:42 PM »

If you looked at a list of names of some of those mags, do you think you could get a good idea of which it was?

Unfortunately, I am unable to find it. But I'll continue looking for whatever this elusive "Reptoid Man" film is.

Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2015, 10:03:28 PM »

Alright, I have spoken to my friend who has also seen the magazine. He says that he remembers it saying that one man was able to sneak one copy of the film out of North Korea. He never said where it went afterwards, but I suspected this might be helpful to anybody who may still be interested in this unsolved little mystery.

316zombie
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »

no promises, and i haven't read here myself, but maybe this site could help..
http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/Video_Film.htm
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 07:38:59 AM »

no promises, and i haven't read here myself, but maybe this site could help..
http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/Video_Film.htm

Thanks! I took a look and didn't find any kind of elusive Reptoid Man film in there.

AlbertMond
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 10:11:53 PM »

Gene, I take it your friend doesn't remember the magazine's name, right?
Gene Worm
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »

Just asked him, and nope. He says that all he remembers was Reptoid Man, and he thinks he saw Godzilla vs. Mothra on there too, if that helps. But he isn't sure if he really did see it there, or on something else.

I also went as far into my memory as possible on the magazine itself. It was basically a creature-feature, showing short reviews, and trivia on B-Movies. I'm also almost positive that The Monster that Challenged the World, was on there. And maybe Creature from the Haunted Sea.

And I'm not 100% sure, but I vaguely remember the small picture of the Reptoid looked very much like Titanosaurus. The film itself was black & white, and was either made in the fifties, or early sixties.

The name of the magazine may have had the word "Obscure" in it. Which barely helps, and I'm not even that sure it did.

Going by the fact that the magazine said that only one copy of the film got out of North Korea, this could easily be one of those awesome and old, lost treasures. But it could also easily be a hoax. But to be honest, no matter what the answer really is, I believe it's worth taking the time to find out.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Does this supposed lost film even exist? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.