Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:23:48 AM
714200 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do we love B-Movies? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why do we love B-Movies?  (Read 7022 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 22, 2015, 09:09:18 PM »

Hey, guys! It's been a super long while since I last posted here.

Now, this is a topic I figure would initiate an interesting discussion. Why do we love b-movies? What is it about them that have us coming back for more when most movie goers would turn up their nose at the mention of titles like "Bride of the Monster", "Laserblast" and "Manos: The Hands of Fate"?

For me, I simply enjoy the silliness of the feature. Even if the acting, creature FX or even lighting aren't up to par with your typical Hollywood picture, one gets the feeling that the cast and crew were having a ball while working on the production. Shoddy/dodgy special FX can be charming and even entertaining to the eyes. Monsters performed via hand puppets, costumes or stop motion in a way is refreshing to watch given that we live in an age where films are bloated with CGI. Don't get me wrong, CGI definitely has its place but it's so overused.

Of course, the plots need to be mentioned. Some of them are so incredibly ludicrous that one can't help but marvel at the absurdity of the story. That's also what makes b-movies more fun: they aren't afraid to take risks with preposterous concepts. Most of the time (there have always been exceptions), the goal of the b-movie is to entertain and it for sure delivers. Sometimes not taking themselves seriously adds to the fun, but one can easily laugh 'till it hurts with a movie that takes itself TOO seriously for its own good. Either way, it makes for a memorable experience.

Well, I've gone on and on. Time for you guys to give your two cents.  Smile

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 09:44:56 PM »

Well, they are B movies, after all - and who doesn't love the three B's?

Blood

Breasts

Beasts

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 01:31:09 AM »

First of all, welcome back.  Smile Thumbup

Secondly: I started with this POS when I was six - never been the same since.

Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »

For me when I get a movie that everyone involved in set out with all the best intentions to make good, but it just doesn't work out. A combination of overambitious director and over acting but all with loads of enthusiasm are generally vital ingredients. Asylum type stuff is ok, but since they set out to make bad movies or just don't care they just feel like they have something missing.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
etmoviesb
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:03:53 AM »

I think because we know that movies are 99% nonsense. Guns does not work as in the movies, life does not work as in the movies, space travel does not....

So, usually A-movies take themselves too seriously and often people involved have a big ego and since the result is nonsense I find this annoying.
In B-movies instead the fact that movies are nonsense is accepted and played with, this makes the results more coherent and funnier.
voltron

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

I think it's the fact that b-movies don't have these astronomical budgets to work with so the movies themselves had to have something special to offer without all the eye candy and superstar casts of mainstream films.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 11:59:49 AM »

I am of the opinion that a "B movie" is a low budget movie, but not necessarily "bad".  As Trevor pointed out, the 1973 LOST HORIZON is a notorious "POS" that I'm sure was expensive to produce (therefore, a "bad" A movie).  The term "B movie" is only meant to point out a film's cost and likely place on a double bill (the "B" picture). 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:32 PM »

I am of the opinion that a "B movie" is a low budget movie, but not necessarily "bad".  As Trevor pointed out, the 1973 LOST HORIZON is a notorious "POS" that I'm sure was expensive to produce (therefore, a "bad" A movie).  The term "B movie" is only meant to point out a film's cost and likely place on a double bill (the "B" picture). 
I'm in total agreement AHD. The term b-movie unfortunately sometimes gets confused with "bad" a lot and this couldn't be further from the truth. Take a movie like Carnival Of Souls for instance. It has a miniscule budget and a cast of unknowns but dammit it's more creepy and effective than the horses**t that's being passed off as horror over the past many many years. A movie like Cool As Ice however is bad because you could tell they were trying to make a serious movie and they failed miserably on all levels. I think the main reason I love "good" b-movies is that they're not trying to be something they're not. I don't know how to explain it any better than that really.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 12:35:41 AM »

Agreed: the Frank Capra version was great, but this one:  Buggedout Buggedout Even at six (1973) I knew it was orful.  TongueOut Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 05:35:23 PM »

B movies remind me of my youth.  I was a kid during the 1970s when drive-in theaters were plentiful in my area.  There were 3 drive-ins within a 10 minute drive of my house and dozens more if you were willing to travel a mere 25 or 30 miles.  Sure, they showed major releases.   But they also showed many, many B movies.  I often preferred those.  I saw these "classics" and many others at the drive-in during the glorious 1970s (and early 80s):

* Ben
* Don't Go in the House
* The Fifth Floor
* Last House on the Left
* The House that Vanished
* The House that Dripped Blood
* Cherry Hill High
* The Erotic Adventures of Pinocchio

When I watch these movies now (and other similar movies), I get transported back to a great time in my life. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 06:46:08 PM »

there's more of them...

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »

I first got into them due to things like Troll 2, The Room and Mommie Dearest which were hilarious to me. Then there's things like Manos, The Creeping Terror and Leonard Part 6  and where there's just something about them where it becomes hypnotic and I like them for whatever reason.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 10:56:16 PM »

As has been pointed out-big difference between "B-Movies"-eg-D.O.A. (1950), low budget independents that have become classics -NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968),and just plain BAD-which can be a big budget piece of s**t or a a so bad it's good film.
BAD movies are fun because the total nonsensical nature of them-it's so impossibly implausible that it's funny. Like a Tex Avery cartoon. Or other reasons-sometimes I just like the old fashioned feel of old ultra low budget movies-the bad actors-the bad sets-the one good old timey actor--as you gave as an example-BRIDE OF THE MONSTER.
It reminds me of them old Our Gang  comedies-"Hey gang-we got the old barn-let's put on a show!"

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:04:34 PM »

What group of kids want to go out in their back yard & pretend they're Doctor Zhivago?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 11:20:18 PM »

What group of kids want to go out in their back yard & pretend they're Doctor Zhivago?

Exactly!
Put on a Frankenstein mask and crank up the old 8mm camera!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Why do we love B-Movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.