Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:25:16 PM
714160 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The recurrance of dissatisfaction « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The recurrance of dissatisfaction  (Read 1481 times)
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« on: June 25, 2015, 04:13:56 AM »

So to summarise my thoughts on wide theatrical releases in the horror genre kinda recently-

A few pre-August 2012 years - Don't know why I'm still watching this nonsense, The Fourth Kind was the only really good one, and they're mostly the exact same thing anyway. The good horror movies don't get wide theatrical releases these days.

After Sinister - Okay, that was actually unnerving

After Dark Skies - I'd actually considered making two scary horror films within a year beyond Hollywood's abilities, so that was impressive.

Late 2014 - The only thing keeping me from seeing a bad Hollywood horror release is that I've only seen four wide theatrical releases this year. It's becoming clear what weak praise I've been giving Hollywood.

Currently - Alright, the quality of Hollywood horror is better than four years ago - but once not sucking becomes normal I'm no longer distracted from the issue that talented people outside Hollywood are still making much better horror. The only wide theatrical release I've seen this year was Unfriended, and only because I couldn't believe something with that concept was made.

I am once again thinking actually watching movies in cinemas, outside Frightfest, is a waste of effort and time.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 05:43:18 AM »

I used to post at a horror forum where everyone looked down their noses at direct-to-video stuff;  "Oh I watched one of those once, it was terrible ha ha ha."  Which I always found comically ironic since they literally dropped to their knees and worshiped anything Italian.  It made me cringe seeing them get all excited about the latest Hollywood horror remake and then, with infinite predictability, being horribly disappointed by it.

Of course that forum is dead as a doornail now.  I imagine they're still watching Night of the Living Dead for the 250th time and repurchasing every imaginable re-release of Halloween ('Cause that's a big budget movie you know).  Meanwhile I'm enjoying the hell out of the huge variety of low budget horror we get every year lol.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
BakuryuuTyranno
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 06:42:03 AM »

Frankly, the apparent pending extinction of horror films with 8-figure budgets can only be a good thing... much like the extinction of those with 9-figure budgets before it. The lower budgets and thus less executives' involvement are probably the only thing giving Hollywood horror any quality.

(Alright, that and that I barely achknowledge the existance of sequels/remakes/whatever)

The sad thing is, I'd already bought tickets for many Hollywood films in the years where their horror movies were worse than the average sci-fi original, so stopping when there's some degree of promise is something I'm unsure whether to do.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:44:05 AM by BakuryuuTyranno » Logged
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The recurrance of dissatisfaction « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.