Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:22:25 AM
714199 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Exorcist vs The Omen « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which do you prefer?
The Exorcist - 8 (53.3%)
The Omen - 7 (46.7%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Exorcist vs The Omen  (Read 4604 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 29, 2015, 12:23:37 PM »

Which do you prefer? I like The Exorcist and recognize its influence on horror but have always been more partial to The Omen. Mainly because I like the suspense, atmosphere and pacing a little moreso. Plus that soundtrack.  Cheers
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:26 PM »

I think The Exorcist is much scarier but I went with The Omen because the plot is much more interesting and fairly epic, it has some great atmosphere and of course

Small | Large

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 05:19:19 PM »

I've got to go with the Exorcist.. more impactful in terms of shocked audience reaction for its time.  Where the heck else are you gonna find a little girl stab her va jay jay with a crucifix and shove her mom's face in it??  Buggedout

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:47:24 AM »

Both banned in South Africa back in the day sadly  Bluesad

Both are OK in their own ways and both are incredibly disturbing too.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 04:14:28 AM »

As The Exorcist is one of only two films I've fallen asleep in the cinema while watching I am going to have to go with The Omen. I watched The Exorcist when it was rereleased in cinemas some years back and for some reason it just took me a long time to get into it (I believe the part I missed was the church being vandalised), but I did enjoy it once it really got started. I think if I had watched it when I was younger I would have enjoyed it more. The Omen just seemed to be creepier and more effective, especially that last shot where the kid turns round and looks at the camera with that evil stare (if you see the footage after that, the kid cracks up laughing, they stopped it at the last second).

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Josso
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 06:44:42 AM »

I'd have to say The Omen for that creepy atmosphere and suspense

FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 11:37:58 AM »

I like'em both but I have always preferred "The Omen." The atmosphere, the creepy music, that sweet looking little kid who of course turns out to be eeeeeeeee-vil incarnate.... good stuff.

Now that I think about it, I am pretty sure that I saw The Omen first as a kid, which may have something to do with the impact that it had on me. I saw Omen on TV on a Saturday afternoon when I was in my early teens, but if memory serves I didn't get around to The Exorcist till I was in college. By that time, my expectations may have been a bit too high because for years 'n' years I'd heard nothing but OH MY GOD THE EXORCIST IS THE SCARIEST MOVIE EVER MADE DON'T WATCH IT ALONE YOU'RE GONNA CRAP YOUR PANTS from pretty much everyone I knew.  TeddyR ...  therefore when I finally saw it, it was good, don't get me wrong, but it was almost a let down at the same time cuz I'd built it up so much in my mind for so long.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 11:43:35 AM by FatFreddysCat » Logged

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
major jay

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 12:45:47 PM »

THE EXORCIST by a long shot.

zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 02:09:42 PM »

The Omen, easily. not especially 'deep' or cryptic but just proper no-holds-barred horror entertainment. great foreboding atmosphere all the way through and many memorable scenes. Excorcist is a film I've never managed to watch without getting bored to be honest.

As The Exorcist is one of only two films I've fallen asleep in the cinema while watching I am going to have to go with The Omen. I watched The Exorcist when it was rereleased in cinemas some years back and for some reason it just took me a long time to get into it
it was banned here in uk until about 1998 or 99... I went to see it at a small cinema in Leeds when if finally came out, and everyone there was laughing at it. maybe the hype had been built up too much like fat freddy said, but no one seemed to take it seriously.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:14:09 PM »

It shouldn't, but . . .?! It always does. How many sequels, remakes, prequels, parodies, etc. a successful film will spawn. For example . . .

The Exorcist (1973) spawned . . .
Abby (1974) the Blaxploitation version
The Antichrist (1974) the Italian version
The Exorcist : Italian style (1975) the Italian parody version
The Exorcist II : the Heretic (1977) the 1st sequel
The Exorcist III (1990) the 2nd sequel
The Exorcist IV : the Beginning (2004) the prequel
Dominion : Prequel to the Exorcist (2005) another prequel
and The Exorcist File (2014) Supposedly, the events that inspired The Exorcist
among others.

The Omen (1976) spawned
Damien (1978) aka The Omen II. the 1st sequel
The Omen III (1981) The 2nd sequel. The correct title is The Final Conflict, but I just call it The Omen III.
The Omen IV : the Awakening (1991) a TV movie
The Omen (1995) a 2nd TV movie. It was suppose to lead to a TV series, but . . .?! It never did, which is probably fortunate for us. Though that did not stop a TV series called Damien from 2015.
The Omen Legacy (2001) Called a TV movie, but . . .?! more like a TV documentary, which talks to the people, both before and behind the camera, who were involved in the series.
The Omen (2006) the remake
among others

Among all those, I have seen only The Antichrist, which is actually not that bad, and the 1st three Omen films. Is that a vote for The Omen? Who knows?

And a final thought. As I understand at the time, there were suppose to be four Omen films, and I am not talking about The Omen IV : the Awakening, the TV movie. There was suppose to be another Omen film falling somewhere between Damien aka The Omen II and The Final Conflict aka The Omen III, but . . .?! For reasons I have since forgotten, it was never made. Instead, they just skipped that film and went straight to the 1981 film.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 05:34:19 PM »

The Exorcist (1973) still scares, or at the very least creeps the s**t out of me. The Omen (1976) felt more like watching a mafia hit movie, with Satan as the Big Boss rubbing out his enemies that find out who his son is; I like The Omen (1976) but it just didn't scare me, even when I first saw it when I was a little boy. Nowadays, all I see is how much that the Final Destination movies totally ripped off The Omen films.  Cheers

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »

The Exorcist-by a loooong shot!

It was scary-it was shocking-and it was a lotta fun seeing it in a theater in 1973 when I was 11!
The Omen bored the s**t outta me when I first saw it-and it still does.

Oh-and Kevin-check out ABBY(1974)-thats a lot of fun! It's even got William Marshall of Blacula fame-!

Small | Large

And there is always...
BEYOND THE DOOR (1974)
MAGDALENA-POSSESSED BY THE DEVIL (1974)
RUBY (1977)

and the horrendouswfulwonderful!-
CATHY'S CURSE (1977)

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 11:07:58 PM »

THE OMEN has a lot to recommend it, yet in the wake of the earlier than both ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968) and leaning a bit on that film's legacy, THE OMEN is inferior... by far.  THE EXORCIST stands as a cinematic landmark in several regards.  A great film, there is nothing anywhere near like THE EXORCIST.  

Small | Large

whisper: Is that all you're going to do to help me...???  WTF...???
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:59:58 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2015, 09:26:21 PM »

Had to go with the Exorcist here. That said, I like both but the Exorcist just seems scarier, the brief shots of the demonic figure, the walking, the vileness of so much of it...I think Rosemary's Baby is scarier than the Omen. Omen has its moments no doubt (it's all for you Damien) but never quite has the same overall punch IMO.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Exorcist vs The Omen « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.