Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:52:51 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Who should be the next president? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 118
Author Topic: Who should be the next president?  (Read 399910 times)
Skull
« Reply #735 on: June 21, 2016, 05:59:35 PM »

When I started this thread-I was just being silly. Now I'm just being a mean a***ole.

I'm sorry. Bluesad

I like you and I wish you took the time out and listen.

I really hate how this has polarized US-bad movie fans.

I get it that you hate Trump... I just wished you stopped calling him Hitler. Hitler was a sociopath. He rose into power because Germany was looking for a way out from the Great Depression.

As for FDR - sorry but he wasn't that good. FDR was a racist. He nominated a judge that was in the KKK because the guy was in the KKK. His policies prolonged the Great Depression - which the Great Depression lasted until after world war 2. He did nothing for the Anti-lynching legislation.

And to show how racist FDR was:

After the 1936 Berlin Olympics, only the white athletes were invited to see and meet Roosevelt. No such invitation was made to the African American athletes such as Jesse Owens, who had won four gold medals. A widely believed myth about the 1936 games was that Hitler had snubbed Owens, something that never happened. Owens said, "Hitler didn't snub me--it was [Roosevelt] who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram."

Buggedout
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #736 on: June 21, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »

When I started this thread-I was just being silly. Now I'm just being a mean a***ole.

I'm sorry. Bluesad

I really hate how this has polarized US-bad movie fans.
This thread is harmless, though I will say you are a loose cannon.  We're not polarized; Ulthar often disagrees, always has... with anybody with whom he finds flaws in their arguments or statements.  Don't sweat Skull.  Harmless. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #737 on: June 21, 2016, 08:24:50 PM »

I think that, by the standards of the 21st Century, EVERY white man that lived before 1950 was racist.
Ulthar and I have much in agreement and much on which we disagree; Lincoln is one example and FDR is another! 

But that's OK, we can blow off steam here and let our real opinions hang out and tomorrow we will still be able to debate the merits of Ed Wood versus the Polonia Brothers and all will be well.

A lot of places, that would not be possible.

Of course, a lot of places they wouldn't know who the Polonia Brothers were.

Lucky sods!   Lookingup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #738 on: June 21, 2016, 08:53:23 PM »

But Trump?  A nasty, thuggish bully who could easily start World War 3.  

Trump is too hawkish says the guy who wants to nuke Iran. Now I've heard everything

btw Hillary was for Iraq, for invading Libya which has turned into a terrorist hellhole and she pretty much wants to do the same thing to Syria while trump wanted nothing to do with any of these situations. Who's really more dangerous on the ...WORLD STAGE?

"barrumpumpumpaaaaaahh...! welcome to my stage I'm Sam WORLD "
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 08:59:50 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Skull
« Reply #739 on: June 21, 2016, 10:24:32 PM »

I think that, by the standards of the 21st Century, EVERY white man that lived before 1950 was racist.

wow you really think that?

I know the KKK reached a height of popularity in the 1920's to the point where they walk to Washington and could control the White House. But I also know that afterwards that the KKK was slowly disliked to the point that by the 1950's the KKK became an underground cult.

The second Klan was a formal fraternal organization, with a national and state structure. At its peak in the mid-1920s, the organization claimed to include about 15% of the nation's eligible population, approximately 4–5 million men. Internal divisions, criminal behavior by leaders, and external opposition brought about a collapse in membership, which had dropped to about 30,000 by 1930. It finally faded away in the 1940s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ku_Klux_Klan

Not EVERY white man before the 1950's was racist, if that WAS TRUE then the Democrat Party would had become the KKK party way-way before the 1950's. They would had became the KKK party in the 1920's... The only reason that stopped the Democrat party from becoming the KKK party was the quick decline of the KKK popularity.

I also remembering reading a life story of the Stooges and I recall how Moe hated segregated towns.

But Trump?  A nasty, thuggish bully who could easily start World War 3.  

Trump is too hawkish says the guy who wants to nuke Iran. Now I've heard everything

btw Hillary was for Iraq, for invading Libya which has turned into a terrorist hellhole and she pretty much wants to do the same thing to Syria while trump wanted nothing to do with any of these situations. Who's really more dangerous on the ...WORLD STAGE?

"barrumpumpumpaaaaaahh...! welcome to my stage I'm Sam WORLD "

I love the way how Trump will start world war 3, which was said when Reagan was running for president...

even though it was Obama and Hillary incompetence that caused this whole mess in the middle east.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 05:38:58 AM by Skull » Logged
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #740 on: June 22, 2016, 07:18:20 AM »

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #741 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:53 AM »

That was a bit of hyperbole, Skull, but the point is we have come a VERY long way on race since the 1930's.
FDR was considered progressive on race for his day, time, and political party, but he was still dependent on the Dixiecrats and therefore very limited in what he could do publicly.  Southern segregationists controlled the Democratic party right up into the 1960's, but for the first half of the 20th century, many Republicans weren't that much better.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #742 on: June 22, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »

Even if you despise Trump his speech this morning was pretty good because it was all about Hillary and he took her apart in the grand manner. It's what Sanders should have done
Skull
« Reply #743 on: June 22, 2016, 11:19:45 AM »

That was a bit of hyperbole, Skull, but the point is we have come a VERY long way on race since the 1930's.
FDR was considered progressive on race for his day, time, and political party, but he was still dependent on the Dixiecrats and therefore very limited in what he could do publicly.  Southern segregationists controlled the Democratic party right up into the 1960's, but for the first half of the 20th century, many Republicans weren't that much better.

The math says 4-5 million members in the 1920's... in the 1950's the KKK was underground. Therefore not everybody was a racist. The math proves it because there was a MASSIVE DECLINE with the KKK.

The reason why it took so damn long for the south to end segregation was - POWER.

I'm so damn tired of this passing the racism ball. It's a sick attempt in rewriting history. The fact is, the American people didn't want racism, if they did the KKK would be growing in popularity instead of declining in popularity. Again the math don't lie.

History:

The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill, introduced by Representative Leonidas C. Dyer, a Republican from St. Louis, Missouri, in the United States House of Representatives in 1918, was directed at punishing lynchings and mob violence. The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill was passed by the U.S. House of Representatives on January 26, 1922 but its passage was halted by a Southern Democratic filibuster in the U.S. Senate.

Attempts to propose similar legislation took a halt until the 1930s with the Costigan-Wagner Bill. Subsequent bills followed but the United States Congress never outlawed lynching due to Southern Democratic opposition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyer_Anti-Lynching_Bill

Seriously... the Democrat party should be banned like the Confederate Battle Flag. (How can anybody assume Americans were for the KKK if they were trying to pass an Anti-Lynching Bill)

Sorry I see no evidence that every white man in the 1950's was a racist!

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #744 on: June 22, 2016, 11:32:30 AM »

Skull, I don't think Indy was saying every white man back then was racist, I think his comment had more to do with the prevailing attitudes of today being so intolerant that by certain standards everyone born before the time those recent attitudes were imposed on society comes off as failing to measure up, and therefore is judged racist in hindsight.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Skull
« Reply #745 on: June 22, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

Skull, I don't think Indy was saying every white man back then was racist, I think his comment had more to do with the prevailing attitudes of today being so intolerant that by certain standards everyone born before the time those recent attitudes were imposed on society comes off as failing to measure up, and therefore is judged racist in hindsight.

No his attempt was to make it like FDR's racism was a norm and it's not.
bob
I survived Bucky Larson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #746 on: June 22, 2016, 01:11:37 PM »

This thread turned way too ugly for me. I no have the email notification for a new reply in it.

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Iñárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #747 on: June 22, 2016, 11:10:12 PM »

FDR's racism was far more normal and acceptable in his day than it would have been today.  Again, I didn't say every white man before the 1950's WAS a racist.  I said by the overly sensitive standards of today, every white man before 1950 would SEEM racist.  It was a reference to changing cultural standards on what racism actually was.

Incidentally, the Klan's official membership topped out at around 750,000 in 1926.  The next year the National Grand Dragon or whatever their silly title for their President was, along with his assistant Exalted Wizard, drugged and sexually assaulted a young girl repeatedly during a cross-country train ride.  The story made the national news, and that, along with news that the two had embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Klan membership dues, caused the organization to crash and burn more so than any massive national change in racial attitudes.

Skull
« Reply #748 on: June 23, 2016, 06:27:13 AM »

FDR's racism was far more normal and acceptable in his day than it would have been today.  Again, I didn't say every white man before the 1950's WAS a racist.  I said by the overly sensitive standards of today, every white man before 1950 would SEEM racist.  It was a reference to changing cultural standards on what racism actually was.

If you said in the 1930's it would make sense. After world war 2 racism was dropping off. People were not asking government to make segregation they were asking government to end it. A lot of fighting men/women during WW2 saw the damage of racism at first hand.  The only reason why segregation existed so long was because democrats in power didn't want to give up that power.

The sensitive standards is pushed just like segregation was pushed.  The problem is that black leaders like Louis Farrakhan pushes the race issue so he can gain money/power. And if there is no racism than Farrakhan would be out of a job. (Oddly a lot of White Americans did voted for Obama because they assumed his election would end the race issue - I know this because I had a few family members that voted for him for that reason).

**I don't know about you but I'm tired of being assumed as a master race/racist/slave owner - even though I was born in 1970! And I know I'm not alone with this feeling.**

The Shooting of Michael Brown is a perfect example on how the sensitive standards are being rammed down our throats. It's been proven that the police officer was protecting himself and his weapon. There was no 'hand's up don't shoot' yet you got every so called black leader (including Obama) saying this shooting was a racist act.

Sorry but I do feel offended by this because I know those black leaders and Obama not only destroyed a policeman's life but put many other police officers at risk... why? because they were pushing a dead horse. Because they want racism.

As for FDR - he was a racist a***ole. The problem is that the democrats love FDR, especially how he obtained power, but they also need to cover up FDR's racism by telling others - oh, it was common because white people were naturally racist. No No No. It's not common even in the 1930's, not every state was racist. I believe if FDR came out supporting the KKK that he would NOT had won 4 elections.

Incidentally, the Klan's official membership topped out at around 750,000 in 1926.  The next year the National Grand Dragon or whatever their silly title for their President was, along with his assistant Exalted Wizard, drugged and sexually assaulted a young girl repeatedly during a cross-country train ride.  The story made the national news, and that, along with news that the two had embezzled hundreds of thousands of dollars in Klan membership dues, caused the organization to crash and burn more so than any massive national change in racial attitudes.

I think this is what the KKK wants everybody to believe. Yeah, I heard the story too... but it seemed like a convenient answer. Such as: "White Americans are racist they only stopped going to the KKK because the organization was corrupt and mishandled." The Dyer Anti-Lynching Bill of 1918 seemed to suggest there was a wave of people protesting against the KKK before the 1920's.

People didn't wake-up one day and said 'Today we are going to pass a prohibition law.' This took years. So I would believe there was an anti-KKK movement back as early as 1910.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 10:46:03 AM by Skull » Logged
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #749 on: June 23, 2016, 11:02:51 PM »

There were ways those opposed to the Klan, no doubt.
It has gone through many different phases since its storied existence started in 1866.

Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 118
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Who should be the next president? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.