Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:05:36 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Harry Shearer staying on the Simpsons « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Shearer staying on the Simpsons  (Read 4736 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: July 07, 2015, 12:57:26 PM »

The voice of Burns, Smithers, Flanders has decided to continue working with the show;

Simpsons fans will find this turn of events nothing short of excellent: Seven weeks after tweeting that he was exiting the animated comedy, EW has learned Harry Shearer—the voice of Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders, Smithers and a flurry of other memorable characters—has agreed to rejoin Fox’s forever-running animated comedy.

We repeat: Burns is back.

Shearer has signed the same contract as did the other five primary voice actors—Dan Castellaneta, Yeardley Smith, Julie Kavner, Nancy Cartwright, and Hank Azaria—keeping the show’s original cast fully intact, EW has learned. These deals, which run for four seasons (including a network option for seasons 29 and 30), are estimated at more than $300,000 per episode. Fox recently renewed The Simpsons for a 27th and 28th season, which will bring its episode tally to 625.

I guess this is good news.  I think the Simpsons is getting long in the tooth.  Even my brother has stopped watching new episodes and he was a much bigger fan than I ever was.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
voltron

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:13 AM »

I've been a fan since the beginning but I think I speak for many that the show should've stopped at the very least ten years ago.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:52:16 AM »

I've been a fan since the beginning but I think I speak for many that the show should've stopped at the very least ten years ago.

At least.  Some people have the sense to get out of the game while the going is good while others keep going long past their primes.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »

"You have to know when to hold 'em. You have to know when to fold 'em." Obviously, they didn't know when to fold 'em. Though, this is coming from someone who has never been a fan of the show. Up to now, seeing only 1 episode of all the episodes produced so far.

Though, I can imagine that there are a half dozen happy people out there, the ones named in the original post. At $300,000, and that is not for the season, which would still be good money, but, for each episode, and which with just 4 episodes, would be over a million $ payoff. And that amount of money per episode is far above what most actors receive for working in TV.

I'd be interested, though, in how many episodes they are going to do for each season. The average number of episodes seems to be 22 per season, but I can't see them doing that many episodes, as the pay out for each actor at $300,000 per episode would be $6,600,000 per actor multiplied by 6 would be $39,600,000, not including the other costs in producing the show.

The "dirty" secret in all this is the money lies not in the TV show or film, but in the junk (ah, merchandise) the TV show or film induces one to buy. Merchandise inspired by the TV show or film. For example: "Frozen."

It may have earned over a billion $ at the box office, but it earned over twice that amount in merchandise sold. Merchandise inspired by the film.

"And it is a gift that keeps on giving" since 2013.

Disneyland
Is celebrating this summer as a "Frozen" Summer with events inspired by the film.

Walt Disney World
The Norway pavilion at EPCOT is getting an attraction based on the film.

Disney Cruise Line (DCL)
Interest was so high to see what inspired the film, that DCL is cruising the fjords of Norway this year and the next. Or, if you prefer something more land based . . .

Adventures by Disney
Offers a week's land tour of the areas of Norway that inspired the film.

Of course, none of this applies to "The Simpsons," which only one's outside source of funding, that I know about, is at Universal Orlando, which has converted part of the studio into Springfield with a Simpsons simulator ride, a kiosk that sells Squishees, and a Kwik-e-Mart that sells merchandise inspired by the Simpsons, including Lard Lad Donuts.

Thus, at the prices they are paying people, I can't see how the show won't be losing money like a stuck pig. Thus, I don't see Fox picking up the option for seasons 29 and/or 30, unless -30- is some sort of magic number. But . . .?!

We shall see what we shall see.
Jim H

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 11:21:56 PM »

I believe their salaries were comparable for the past couple years, and those were 20+ episode seasons.  The Simpsons just makes a TON of money (I've heard in excess of $700 million in merchandise a year these days), both from the show and surrounding merchandise.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:06:50 PM »

I believe their salaries were comparable for the past couple years, and those were 20+ episode seasons.  The Simpsons just makes a TON of money (I've heard in excess of $700 million in merchandise a year these days), both from the show and surrounding merchandise.

Thanks for the information, Jim. H. That goes along way to explain why the show will continue, and why the stars are paid so much. If the show does make that much in merchandise sales, the salaries paid to its stars seem miniscule in comparison. Thanks again for the information.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »

I wished he hadn't sighed back up.  The show has been on a deathmark in quality for sometime, without him, maybe they'd have the excuse to finally put it out of its misery. 
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Harry Shearer staying on the Simpsons « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.