Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:56:29 AM
714232 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Theodore Bikel « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Theodore Bikel  (Read 4069 times)
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I'm a Mac...

« on: July 21, 2015, 07:36:07 PM »

Theodore Bikel has passed on;

Actor Theodore Bikel, best known for his starring role as Tevye, the poor Jewish milkman, in the Broadway hit musical "Fiddler on the Roof," died on Tuesday at age 91 at a Los Angeles hospital, his publicist said.

The Austrian-born performer, who also created the stage role of Captain von Trapp in the original Broadway production of "The Sound of Music," died of natural causes, his spokesman, Harlan Boll, said in a statement.

Bikel began his run as Tevye in 1967 after the late Zero Mostel had originated the role. He went on to perform the part of the struggling Jewish dairyman, and such memorable songs as "Tradition" and "If I Were a Rich Man," more than 2,000 times, the most of any Broadway actor, Boll said.

Bikel's big-screen career spanned more than 150 appearances, including his 1951 movie debut as a German naval officer in the classic "The African Queen" and an Oscar-nominated turn as a southern sheriff opposite Tony Curtis and Sidney Poitier in "The Defiant Ones."

He also played Sergey Rozhenko in Star Trek: The Next Generation, Yossel Koslov and Lenonn in Babylon 5, and a number of other roles.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »

Good night, THEODORE BIKEL

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 05:29:45 PM »

Good night, THEODORE BIKEL

And may the song of angels sing you to your grave.

There are two things I always--actually, three--I found remarkable about Mr. Bikel. And one thing I did not know.

What I did not know was how long a career he had in both TV and films. A career that stretched 60 years or from 1947 to 2007.

What I did know. (1st) He was not only well known as an actor, but as a recording artist, having over 30 records of various types to his credit.

(2nd) As a cast member of "My Fair Lady," which is 51 years old this year, he was the last surviving major cast member. He played a Hungarian in the film.

Which brings up the (3rd) thing I always found remarkable about the man. While many actors play many roles, they are often the same nationality or almost always the same. One exception was Mr. Bikel, who not only played a Hungarian in "My Fair Lady," but . . .?! also a(n) . . .

Arab -- several TV shows
Dutchman -- The Little Kidnappers
Frenchman -- The Prize and the Passion
Greek -- The Angry Hills
Italian -- Murder, She Wrote
Russian -- Fraulein
Serbian -- Moulin Rouge
Swede --- H.U.D.

And as a Jew born in Austria, who not only had to flee his country, when the Germans occupied it, but . . .?! as a Jew was in danger of being sent to a concentration camp, he never seemed to have any problems playing a German, which he did in more than one film.

Above Us the Waves
The African Queen
Betrayal
The Enemy Below,
etc.

No. Not only are we going to miss him, but . . .?! With the year slightly more than half over, we are going to be missing a lot more folk, as old age finally catches up with many of the actors from our youth.

R.I.P. Theodore

Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »

He starred in one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes... :(

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Theodore Bikel « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.