Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:39 AM
713326 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Melbourne International Film Festival 2015 « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Melbourne International Film Festival 2015  (Read 2511 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: July 23, 2015, 07:01:54 PM »

It's the best time of year again here where I live coming up! Movies galore, obscure, classy. obscene. Hundreds of films from around the world converge for MIFF. As usual this year I have bought a mini-pass [ten tickets] and I need badmovies.org help in choosing some sessions!

http://miff.com.au/ Check out the program and give me suggestions. Doesn't have to be solely b-movie related as I know we like the occasional classy feature. It's also fun to see some of the upcoming movies to get a bit of an idea on what's out there.

Already booked for:

YAKUZA APOCALYPSE: THE GREAT WAR OF THE UNDERWORLD
http://miff.com.au/program/film/yakuza-apocalypse-the-great-war-of-the-underworld

THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY
http://miff.com.au/program/film/the-duke-of-burgundy

and SHERPA
http://miff.com.au/program/film/sherpa

Thumbup Thumbup

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:51:28 PM »

keep in mind my tastes run to weird cinema (I think yours do too, but probably not as much as mine).

DAISIES is not to be missed. About the craziest movie you'll ever see. Except for THE HOLY MOUNTAIN, which will blow your mind.

DOPE is very good, sort of the African-American version of RISKY BUSINESS.

I would want to go see EISENSTEIN IN GUANTANAMO just because it's by Peter Greenaway, but I haven't heard anything about it.

I would consider END OF THE TOUR because it's about one of my favorite writers, David Foster Wallace, and reviews have been good, although it looks like fairly dry subject matter.

ENTER THE VOID if you haven't already seen it and have a high tolerance for drug trip movies.

I've heard good things about FEHÉRLÓFIA though I've never seen it.

I'd make a point to see THE FORBIDDEN ROOM, but Guy Maddin is an acquired taste.

GREY GARDENS is worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

I'd check out HEAD on the big screen. Same with YELLOW SUBMARINE.

I want to see HORSE MONEY.

HUMAN HIGHWAY was directed by Neil Young under a pseudonym and is supposed to be insane.

I would see KAHLIL GIBRAN'S THE PROPHET because I track the careers of a couple of the animators. I might see SONG OF THE SEA if I had extra time for the same reason.

I would see THE LOBSTER but looks like it's standby only.

THE LOOK OF SILENCE should be a very good and scary documentary about Indonesian genocide, might help to have seen ACT OF KILLING.

I'd be pretty busy if it were me (and I had an unlimited budget), and that's before researching the titles I hadn't heard of. Have a blast!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
dean

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 11:23:15 PM »

Yeah I knew you'd come to the table Rev! I think the Psychdelia stream is pretty much all up your alley right?

I think we're on a similar level weirdness wise but due to my long suffering girlfriend I'm dialing back the crazy a bit so I'm only allowed a couple of weird cinema options  Wink. Am also giving preference to newer movies and ones that may not get a wider release rather than older as either having seen already or am happy to see in the comfort of home.

Saw Enter the Void front row of a cinema whilst hungover which really really helped my headache but I quite enjoyed it despite Gaspar Noe being a nutter. Saw the Act of Killing last time [amazing], but may wait for Look Of Silence to come out on netflix/streaming as it's definitely going to pop up there.

Some on the list:
Turbo Kid
Spring
Body
Elixir
Two shots Fired
The Invitaiton [I think Lester saw that just recently]
The Forbidden Room
Deathgasm
Goodnight Mommy
Psychedelic Shorts

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 01:29:44 AM »

Dark Age definitely, Dean.  Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »

Do report back on what you see. Indy was a big fan of SPRING, I thought it was a bit slow but it might make a good date movie since it's all lovey-dovey.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Archivist

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:54:11 PM »

Was just wondering: with the closure of the Russell Street Hoyts, where is the main hub of MIFF now?

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
dean

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 02:19:57 AM »

Was just wondering: with the closure of the Russell Street Hoyts, where is the main hub of MIFF now?

Hoyts Melbourne Central have come to the party so that's probably the main change [seems like a few more sessions scheduled for there than normal.] Also a few more boutique theaters/lecture halls this year!

http://miff.com.au/attending-miff/venues

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Melbourne International Film Festival 2015 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.