Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:46:27 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Cecil The Lion: a sad story indeed « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Cecil The Lion: a sad story indeed  (Read 14928 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: July 30, 2015, 02:00:29 AM »

I have no words for the lunatic who shot a protected lion in my birth country of Zimbabwe: none printable, anyway.  Thumbdown

http://www.news24.com/Green/News/US-dentist-I-thought-lion-hunt-was-legal-20150729

I would like to hunt him down and mount his head on my wall.  Hatred
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 02:02:50 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 04:24:30 AM »

My wife mentioned this morning that the US was looking into wither or not he had broken any laws in the states by killing it, so its possible he could be prosecuted for it.

Just a shame that doesn't bring the animal back. I have no problem with killing animals for food, but hunting trophies just disgust me.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 06:41:05 AM »

74% of the adult male lions in Africa die by hunting.

The plan was to lure ("bait") the animal out of the sanctuary, to privately-owned land where it is legal to hunt.  "Baiting" IS legal in Zimbabwe.  The only problem here is that the landowner had to have a lion listed on their hunting license - and this landowner did not have one listed for 2015.  That makes the hunt/killing illegal.

The dentist is saying he relied completely on the expertise of the professional hunting guides.  This guy has hundreds of trophy kills all over the world.  He brags about hunting since he was 5 years old.  We are to believe that when he was TOLD to shoot what was obviously a male lion, while they had been hunting for another kind of cat (leopard, I think) he did not question it.  Donkey dust.

Sorry: with his extensive experience I do not buy the "I was completely following the directions of my guides so it is not my fault" excuse.

Extradite the bastard.  I think they should go all "Naked Prey" on him.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 08:01:21 AM »

Extradite the bastard.  I think they should go all "Naked Prey" on him.

Agreed:

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 08:58:39 AM »

I don't have an issue with hunting, not even with trophy hunting if it is done legally and the fees and licenses are dedicated to wildlife conservation.

I do have an issue with luring an animal from a protected region to private land for the sole purpose of killing it.
It appears several laws were broken.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »

This story, as enraging as it is painfully sad, touches something deep in me, because when I was little my grandpa used to go off on hunting expeditions to far away places and I hated so much when he'd do that, killing animals just for the sake of taking their lives. I think he was a high energy type person, instinctive, with a great need for....I don't know, sensory input, and these trips he'd take every year were a big part of who he was. I have absolutely zero empathetic understanding of how killing an animal can validate someone, but obviously to some people it does. My grandfather was wonderful to me but his fondness for hunting is one of two things I wish had been different about him, and when I read about this lion's slaying by that dentist, it really jerked me back to feelings of a sort I hadn't had since I was a child, and I was surprised at just how much it did affect me. Personally, I think Trevor's got the right idea up there for what should happen to the hunter and his guides in this case.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 09:54:42 AM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/why-killing-a-lion-is-the-most-cowardly-thing-you-can-do#.wkG6OmELqm

Why Killing A Lion Is The Most Cowardly Thing You Can Do
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »

The guy said that he didn't know that Cecil was  a beloved animal. I call BS on that, since I think hunters are supposed to know which animals to hunt is okay and not okay.

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »

He also said he did not realise it had a radio collar on until after the lion was 'taken'.

I'm thinking it is very possible they used the gps in the collar to locate the lion in the first place.  But that is pure speculation on my part.

For me the capper to the whole scenario is that he shot the lion with an arrow, failed to kill it and then took 40 hours to track it down and give the wounded lion the coup de grace with a gun.  Can you imagine living with an arrow from what was supposed to be a kill shot lodged in you for 40 hours?  Torture, much?

GOOD hunters should be upset with him.  Clearly he stinks at it.  I won't speculate on how much he stinks at being a human being, though I strongly suspect he's not so good at that, either.

Jimmy Kimmel said it all, and very well:
Small | Large

"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 02:57:22 PM »

I think the outrage does exceed the crime a bit in this case.

A hunter shot an animal.  It's not the end of the world.

It's worth noting that the animal in question was an apex predator that would have just as soon eaten any of the college girls posting outraged memes over his fate as he would a gazelle.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 07:11:57 PM »

The guy did something illegal and wrong.  The pointlessness of it all just makes it all that much harder to take.

The hunter also indirectly will have caused the deaths of all this lion's current crop of cubs.  That's what happens when a new male takes over: kills all the existing cubs.

Under the circumstances, this particular lion should not have been at risk of being killed by a human.

The lion was somewhat acclimated to humans being near him, not 'tame' by any means, but he would not necessarily been as wary as he should have been.  Then they shone a spotlight on him so the hunter could see him to shoot him.  There's fair for you - blind the animal with lights and take your shot.  Yup that guy was really in maximum danger there.  I wonder if he 'jacklights' deer when he is at home.

I really do hope, Indy, that you are not trying to imply the hunter killed the lion in self defence?  This particular lion was by all accounts considered very "well behaved"  by the sanctuary staff and was popular with the visitors as a result.  Certainly it might be natural for a lion to prey upon humans - that is, any that were foolish enough to present themselves as prey.  I don't think anyone expects a wild predator to be a big stuffed toy.  Even little airheaded girlies who are crying about the lion being killed.

It is not so much that a lion has died; it is how this act and attitudes about it (and involved in it) reflect the current state of human behaviour and ethics.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:34:03 PM by Newt » Logged

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 08:16:14 PM »

I think the outrage does exceed the crime a bit in this case.

A hunter shot an animal.  It's not the end of the world.

It's worth noting that the animal in question was an apex predator that would have just as soon eaten any of the college girls posting outraged memes over his fate as he would a gazelle.
Are you sure "it's not the end of the world"?  It was CECIL the Lion's nature to be an "apex predator".  It is apparently OUR nature to use our superior intellect and culture to build lots of things, including killing machines.  
Part of the outrage is also the skinning and beheading of the animal.  The head has been claimed by Zimbabwean authorities.  
CECIL the Lion has become iconic.  The mere fact that so many people care bodes well for our future.  

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11772528/Cecil-the-lions-head-handed-over-to-police.html
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 08:20:44 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »

Imagine if the Planned Parenthood video from a fortnight ago had generated this much collective outrage.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 10:10:37 PM »

Imagine if the Planned Parenthood video from a fortnight ago had generated this much collective outrage.

That video, however, is suspect.  If there is truth to that story, it is disgusting and must be stopped.  I do think that many people are walking around with cadaver skin in their bodies after surgery and may not know it. 

We live in a world full of horror and dread.  Your avatar has long been that beautiful tiger.  The destruction of the natural world is merely symptomatic of our world's ills.  This story about CECIL is embarrassing particularly for Americans.   We're angry. 

http://news.yahoo.com/minnesota-man-killed-lion-keeps-low-profile-amid-055219642.html#

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:24:45 PM »

He also hunted him with a bow and arrow and tracked him for 40 hours. a slow miserable death.

yeah it's just us outraged college girls who are mad. and none of us know what a lion is
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Weird News Stories  |  Cecil The Lion: a sad story indeed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.